PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Arcane order questions.

Blindy
2022-01-19, 12:43 AM
I came across a discussion about how Sword of the arcane order doesnt work with battle blessing because you are preparing a wizard spell in a paladin slot. not a paladin spell in a paladin slot. This makes sense to me.

What I am wondering is, does this feat let paladins cast arcane spells? or are these wizards spells somehow now divine?

Saintheart
2022-01-19, 01:35 AM
I came across a discussion about how Sword of the arcane order doesnt work with battle blessing because you are preparing a wizard spell in a paladin slot. not a paladin spell in a paladin slot. This makes sense to me.

What I am wondering is, does this feat let paladins cast arcane spells? or are these wizards spells somehow now divine?

Welcome to the problem with Sword of the Arcane Order, because there isn't anything in the feat or the surrounding text which says by RAW how it's meant to be resolved. It takes DM adjudication.

All SoTAO does is allow you to "prepare" wizard spells in paladin or ranger slots, and that when casting them, the DC is keyed to INT like a wizard. It doesn't specifically say whether they're cast as arcane or divine.

I think the likely RAI on the surrounding text was just to give multiclass wizard/paladins or wizard/rangers a few extra arcane spell slots at the lower end, or some very limited casting for paladins out of the Wizard spell list. That's based on the fact SotAO suggests it's normally taken by devotees of Mystra or Azuth whose orders eventually see them abandoning paladin or ranger and just going straight wizard for the rest of their class levels - note how your Wizard caster level on such a character is the sum of paladin + ranger + Wizard caster levels. RAI, when they're cast, they're likely arcane spells, not divine; they just use the Paladin slots to sit in until ready to cast.

Blindy
2022-01-19, 01:39 AM
Welcome to the problem with Sword of the Arcane Order, because there isn't anything in the feat or the surrounding text which says by RAW how it's meant to be resolved. It takes DM adjudication.

All SoTAO does is allow you to "prepare" wizard spells in paladin or ranger slots, and that when casting them, the DC is keyed to INT like a wizard. It doesn't specifically say whether they're cast as arcane or divine.

I think the likely RAI on the surrounding text was just to give multiclass wizard/paladins or wizard/rangers a few extra arcane spell slots at the lower end, or some very limited casting for paladins out of the Wizard spell list. That's based on the fact SotAO suggests it's normally taken by devotees of Mystra or Azuth whose orders eventually see them abandoning paladin or ranger and just going straight wizard for the rest of their class levels - note how your Wizard caster level on such a character is the sum of paladin + ranger + Wizard caster levels. RAI, when they're cast, they're likely arcane spells, not divine; they just use the Paladin slots to sit in until ready to cast.

The vague-ness of the feat really did get me. thanks. I was leaning that they are since you need a literal wizard spellbook, I assume you use it to manipulate the weave, which is the literal only job of mystra. But did not see anything and dont have this book yet.

I was thinking about how a pure paladin could qualify for the dual requirement classes like dweomerkeeper or something like that

noce
2022-01-19, 02:31 AM
The vague-ness of the feat really did get me. thanks. I was leaning that they are since you need a literal wizard spellbook, I assume you use it to manipulate the weave, which is the literal only job of mystra. But did not see anything and dont have this book yet.

I was thinking about how a pure paladin could qualify for the dual requirement classes like dweomerkeeper or something like that

On the spellbook subject, another problem of the feat is that it doesn't allow you to write spells on it. A RAW DM I had forced a fellow player to pay a wizard to scribe spells.

Jervis
2022-01-19, 03:45 AM
On the spellbook subject, another problem of the feat is that it doesn't allow you to write spells on it. A RAW DM I had forced a fellow player to pay a wizard to scribe spells.

Is scribing actually a class feature or just a general rule of spell books though?

Kitsuneymg
2022-01-19, 05:11 AM
The way we always ran it:

They are wizard spells: you can’t use them with battle blessing.

They are paladin spell slots: we decided the *slot* dictated the spell type and rules for casting. So they are divine and need a focus (if specified) but ignore ACF.

They can be made into divine scrolls that only divine casters with those spells on the spell list could cast without skill checks. And for “are they on my spell list” we split the difference and said only spells in your spell book and of up to 4th level were considered on your spellbook.

As for scribing them, we agreed the feat seem to imply you had to borrow a spellbook or take one someone else wrote, but decided it was better fluff if you could just make your own too. Since the whole point is that your a part-wizard/scholar knight. But we also imported it into Pathfinder by the time this came up, so there may have been a UMD check involved?