PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Demon Hunter - 5e class - PEACH

Oramac
2022-01-20, 02:35 AM
Just what the title says. This is a first draft, so I'm definitely looking for feedback, especially on the third subclass (Path of Transformation).

GMBinder link: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-Mi_V0Kw2V7GZdJU4FUL

Cheers!

BerzerkerUnit
2022-01-20, 10:20 AM
Just what the title says. This is a first draft, so I'm definitely looking for feedback, especially on the third subclass (Path of Transformation).

GMBinder link: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-Mi_V0Kw2V7GZdJU4FUL

Cheers!

At a glance it gave me a feel like it was Rogue with alternate class features vs its own class. I see you mention it's on a rogue chassis. I think the challenge here is sneak attack. That's such a core identity element of rogue it's hard to see it or an analogue anywhere and not immediately get the sense "this is a rogue." Like taking Rage whole cloth and renaming it is still going to result in a Barbarian clone. There's just too much design credit eaten by these mechanics. SA/Rage etc aren't like spellcasting which creates a versatile identity based on spell list (barring other class features a wizard, druid, and cleric would still feel pretty different) or sufficiently generic like extra attack.

I wonder if you would have an easier time tweaking post Tasha Ranger as a subclass...

I think too many of the core features are tied to the Hells/Abyss. In any campaign not on those planes you might have a dead level here or there because your ribbons are useless. I might just replace the With Fiends or In the Hells riders to features that grant advantage to some checks with bonus skill proficiencies and fluff indicating you master them due to time in the hells.

I've also given a lot of thought to just stripping off spellcasting and replacing it with Sneak Attack for Rangers. For classes that get spells known just making them 1/day 1/rest or prof/day looks like it could work just fine. If you feel SA is that critical to your class concept, that might yield some fruit.

Other stuff
Relentless pursuit. Add "when you dash" to the end of both paragraphs and include a bit about being able to make a single melee attack when you use your action to dash.

Hell Hunter. I guess there are enough ways to get Hex on a rogue that hunter's mark shouldn't be too big a deal.

Slayer's Edge should also cut through immunity but the bonus Int damage should be cut out. You already do a bunch of d6s, double stat mods on damage is overdoing it. Maybe clone Artificer Flash of Genius but only for Damage, that way you could buff allies as well with your reaction.

Demonic Counsel is a fine Ribbon but I'd roll it to a level where you get another weak feature at much lower level. Like 7th if you eliminate the damage boost altogether.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Oramac
2022-01-21, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

At a glance it gave me a feel like it was Rogue with alternate class features vs its own class. I see you mention it's on a rogue chassis. I think the challenge here is sneak attack. That's such a core identity element of rogue it's hard to see it or an analogue anywhere and not immediately get the sense "this is a rogue." Like taking Rage whole cloth and renaming it is still going to result in a Barbarian clone. There's just too much design credit eaten by these mechanics. SA/Rage etc aren't like spellcasting which creates a versatile identity based on spell list (barring other class features a wizard, druid, and cleric would still feel pretty different) or sufficiently generic like extra attack.

I agree. I changed it to be a one- or two-handed weapon instead of a finesse weapon to try to differentiate it, but I agree it's not significantly different.

I wonder if you would have an easier time tweaking post Tasha Ranger as a subclass...

I also had this thought, but with just 4 subclass features (3, 7, 11, 15) I felt that there wasn't enough space to really create the variety I wanted in the brew.

I think too many of the core features are tied to the Hells/Abyss. In any campaign not on those planes you might have a dead level here or there because your ribbons are useless. I might just replace the With Fiends or In the Hells riders to features that grant advantage to some checks with bonus skill proficiencies and fluff indicating you master them due to time in the hells.

I've also given a lot of thought to just stripping off spellcasting and replacing it with Sneak Attack for Rangers. For classes that get spells known just making them 1/day 1/rest or prof/day looks like it could work just fine. If you feel SA is that critical to your class concept, that might yield some fruit.

Other stuff
Relentless pursuit. Add "when you dash" to the end of both paragraphs and include a bit about being able to make a single melee attack when you use your action to dash.

Hell Hunter. I guess there are enough ways to get Hex on a rogue that hunter's mark shouldn't be too big a deal.

Slayer's Edge should also cut through immunity but the bonus Int damage should be cut out. You already do a bunch of d6s, double stat mods on damage is overdoing it. Maybe clone Artificer Flash of Genius but only for Damage, that way you could buff allies as well with your reaction.

Demonic Counsel is a fine Ribbon but I'd roll it to a level where you get another weak feature at much lower level. Like 7th if you eliminate the damage boost altogether.

Good luck whatever you decide.

All good points. I've got a lot more work to do! (but I already knew that) I definitely appreciate the feedback, and welcome more should any wish to give it. (even if it's bad)