PDA

View Full Version : The Heroic Knight Ghelatyn

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-20, 07:51 PM
With the multiverse races bringing in ooze people & Tasha's Cauldron brewing up the Armorer Artificer, I had a fun idea I thought id bring up with the Playground.

Ghel, a most heroic knight who is actually an plasmoid stuffed into some magic armor.

Any fun ideas I can add to really bring out the concept?

Unoriginal
2022-01-20, 08:15 PM
With the multiverse races bringing in ooze people & Tasha's Cauldron brewing up the Armorer Artificer, I had a fun idea I thought id bring up with the Playground.

Ghel, a most heroic knight who is actually an plasmoid stuffed into some magic armor.

Any fun ideas I can add to really bring out the concept?

The Unarmed Fighting Style, so that you can punch and wrestle people even if out of the armor?

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-20, 09:42 PM
The Unarmed Fighting Style, so that you can punch and wrestle people even if out of the armor?

For the most part there isnt a reason to fight outside of the armor

loki_ragnarock
2022-01-21, 05:27 AM
I clicked into this thread expecting an anime adaptation, or suchlike.

But plasmoid in armor seems to be best served as a plasmoid in armor; I think you've reached the apex of the idea.

Silly Name
2022-01-21, 06:06 AM
So, you obviously want at least 5 levels of Armorer, to get that Extra Attack quickly, and you probably don't care about spells too much if you want to appear as an heroic knight - but you'll probably pick Booming Blade and Green-flame blade as cantrips to be a Paladin-lite, I suppose.

But after that, do you want to stick with Artificer? Because I could suggest multiclassing to Devotion Paladin to capture that heroic knight feel, or perhaps a Banneret fighter.

Dualight
2022-01-21, 07:05 AM
If you are looking for build ideas, paladin works well. Heavy armour proficiency, and a solid heroic knight theme out of the gate.
Really, anything that grants heavy armour proficiency at first level will work for a concept as bare-bones as this.
Armourer Artificer is a good idea if you want the armour to develop alongside the character/the character to perform maintenance themself.
Other than that, talking the DM into letting you have unbreakable armour(a common magic item from Xanathar's) as part of the starting equipment should be easy enough if you already start as a class that gets to begin with heavy armour, like, again, the paladin.

Silly Name
2022-01-21, 07:51 AM
Armourer Artificer is a good idea if you want the armour to develop alongside the character/the character to perform maintenance themself.

I believe that the main selling point of the Armorer is the Arcane Armor, which "attaches to you and can't be removed against your will. It also expands to cover your entire body, although you can retract or deploy the helmet as a bonus action. The armor replaces any missing limbs, functioning identically to a limb it replaces." This would allow the character to have a perfect coverage of its body (that also cannot be removed) and sell the idea that it's a completely normal humanoid knight, not a shapeshifting blob from outer space.

Pildion
2022-01-21, 11:10 AM
I clicked into this thread expecting an anime adaptation, or suchlike.

But plasmoid in armor seems to be best served as a plasmoid in armor; I think you've reached the apex of the idea.

I'm with Loki here, I think this is the apex of the idea. A Ooze Armorer Artificer is hilariously awesome.

Psyren
2022-01-21, 11:28 AM
With the multiverse races bringing in ooze people

For those who don't have the book yet can you elaborate a bit? Is this a PC race? In general what features / racials do they get so we can help you build this?

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-21, 12:12 PM
For those who don't have the book yet can you elaborate a bit? Is this a PC race? In general what features / racials do they get so we can help you build this?

I dont have the book. Im mostly going off the UA

Thanks to everyone who like the idea.
I dont want to go Paladin as the Arcane Armor really sells the spirit of the idea. Im trying to figure out what Background I should take & what Artificer options would be beneficial to the idea im going with. How Roguish should I go? I think it would be kind of funny if at times I popped my visor open or maybe a valve on the finger of my suit & had a phalange noodle out to lockpick a door

Burley
2022-01-21, 12:30 PM
Maybe your knight doesn't have a head/face and their "head" is actually their sword. Maybe the hilt/pommel is stylized to resemble a face (like the dragon face on Mulan's sword). You could even go so far as them raising the sword out of the sheath a bit to imitate a mouth when talking.

When I think of Oozes, I imagine them being acidic (gelatinous cubes, e.g.). Maybe your knight needs to move into new armor on a semi-regular basis as their body erodes/absorbs their current armor. Like a squishy hermit crab. :smalltongue:

If I recall the UA article, I think they're related to mimics, right? Maybe your character likes to sleep in a chest or an urn, because they can't maintain shape while resting and they'd rather not be a puddle on the ground.

Joe the Rat
2022-01-23, 07:16 PM
Im trying to figure out what Background I should take & what Artificer options would be beneficial to the idea im going with. How Roguish should I go? I think it would be kind of funny if at times I popped my visor open or maybe a valve on the finger of my suit & had a phalange noodle out to lockpick a door

If people are aware that he's not from around here, but not necessarily how not from around here, I always champion Far Traveler as the foundation for a fish out of water (or Dralasite out of Galactic civilization) characters. The traits are good inspiration for establishing a different cultural perspective if your exposure to vertebrates is limited. If drawing the attention and interest of nobles isn't where you see his tricks go, trade it out for something that fits your sourcing - Upkeep, Special Access, and Environmental Advantage are the most common forms.

SociopathFriend
2022-01-25, 03:01 AM

Frankly it's entirely dedicated to the Ooze type with the shapeshifting rider. You get some poison/acid resistance too.

Type: Ooze
Size: Medium or Small
Amorphous: It gets the 1 inch squeeze thing- equipment does NOT count
Darkvision: 60 feet
Hold Breath: 1 hour
Acid and poison damage resistance, advantage on poison saves

The shape self:
You can reshape your body to give yourself a head, one or two arms, one or two legs, and makeshift hands and feet, or you can revert to a limbless blob (no action required).
As a bonus action, you can extrude a pseudopod that is up to 6 inches wide and 10 feet long or reabsorb it into your body. You can use this pseudopod to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour out the contents of a container. The pseudopod can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Burley
2022-01-25, 07:28 AM
Frankly it's entirely dedicated to the Ooze type with the shapeshifting rider. You get some poison/acid resistance too.

Type: Ooze
Size: Medium or Small
Amorphous: It gets the 1 inch squeeze thing- equipment does NOT count
Darkvision: 60 feet
Hold Breath: 1 hour
Acid and poison damage resistance, advantage on poison saves

The shape self:
You can reshape your body to give yourself a head, one or two arms, one or two legs, and makeshift hands and feet, or you can revert to a limbless blob (no action required).
As a bonus action, you can extrude a pseudopod that is up to 6 inches wide and 10 feet long or reabsorb it into your body. You can use this pseudopod to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour out the contents of a container. The pseudopod can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Can the Ooze pass itself through an opening that's 6 inches wide (the width of its pseudopod)? Can squeeze through prison bars? Could is strain itself through a chain-link fence (around somebody's fantasy backyard)? I need to look into this Ooze guy, because it's begging to be a phantom thief.

Rukelnikov
2022-01-25, 07:33 AM
Can the Ooze pass itself through an opening that's 6 inches wide (the width of its pseudopod)? Can squeeze through prison bars? Could is strain itself through a chain-link fence (around somebody's fantasy backyard)? I need to look into this Ooze guy, because it's begging to be a phantom thief.

I always thought its begging to be a Moon Druid, since you keep your racial features, so you can turn into a bear, make two "arms", equip a shield and some throwing axes lol.

Burley
2022-01-25, 08:25 AM
I always thought its begging to be a Moon Druid, since you keep your racial features, so you can turn into a bear, make two "arms", equip a shield and some throwing axes lol.

Hate to burst your slimy bubble, but:

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

Your DM may let you do that, but bears aren't able to grow slime arms, RAW.

Rukelnikov
2022-01-25, 08:55 AM
Hate to burst your slimy bubble, but:

Your DM may let you do that, but bears aren't able to grow slime arms, RAW.

oh, you are right.

SociopathFriend
2022-01-25, 01:25 PM

Personally I'm interested in being a "ride along" Necromancer that actually squeezes inside Skeletons and stays there BUT to each their own.

However yeah- 6 inches should be fine because the writing is "as narrow as 1 inch" AKA "at least 1 inch".
Oh one more bit- the same feature gives you advantage on grapples.

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-25, 02:30 PM
Would it be weird to be contained in the armor as a formless blob (the Armorer's armor specifically says it can straight up replace missing limbs) but have a tenfoot long psuedopod just hanging out?

Burley
2022-01-26, 07:25 AM
Would it be weird to be contained in the armor as a formless blob (the Armorer's armor specifically says it can straight up replace missing limbs) but have a tenfoot long psuedopod just hanging out?

Yes.

Yes, it would be.

Sea cucumbersome, it would be.

Psyren
2022-01-26, 11:21 AM
I dont have the book. Im mostly going off the UA

Ah, thanks! I missed that UA release.

I wonder - is there a way to stash all your gear into something and then summon that something to your location after you've squeezed through an opening naked? Say, a genielock's Vessel? Drawmij's Instant Summons wouldn't work since you can't take the sapphire with you, and that would be pretty high level anyway.

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-26, 08:04 PM
Yes.

Yes, it would be.

Sea cucumbersome, it would be.

Not a fan of the Earthworm Jim approach then? I just feel like it would be really useful & if I keep a dagger on my tenfoot phalange then I could get good AoO triggers

Burley
2022-01-27, 07:36 AM
Not a fan of the Earthworm Jim approach then? I just feel like it would be really useful & if I keep a dagger on my tenfoot phalange then I could get good AoO triggers

The pseudopod specifically can't make attacks.