PDA

View Full Version : Is there like a 3.5 Character sheet for Idiots?

ngilop
2022-01-21, 01:48 AM
So.. I am looking for a Character sheet in the vein of the 5th ed Kid Friendly Character sheet, only for 3.5 edition.

There is a player that still doesn't know to roll a d20, that they add bonuses to that d20 and is like "oh, i have to roll hide to make sure I hide or what do i roll to pick the lock?"

I have been attempting the last couple of days, and My ability to create such a character sheet is not very goodm as I just cannot seem to make things fit even close to decently.

I spent the last 3 hours trying to search for something online, but am not able to find it.

If such a thing does not exist, thats cool. Just hoping that somebody out there has much better search ability than i do.

Buufreak
2022-01-21, 03:02 AM
It sounds like the person less needs an easy to read character sheet and more some kind of accompanying sheet or note that tells them when to roll (which really should be the DM, yea?) but also which and how to add the numbers together.

gijoemike
2022-01-21, 10:02 AM
You actually need a longer character sheet. 4th ed did this with all their powers. Each explained the roll and what it targeted. Then explained on success what happened. It got very bulked but at the same time was very very clear. This could be done a few full pages or with note cards.

Under each action list an example of what that roll does or when to roll it.

Under Attacks
Long Sword d20 +5 vs AC
strike an enemy to deal d8+2 damage.
Trip d20 +5 vs Touch AC
sweep the leg and roll d20 + str to maybe trip the enemy.

Pick Lock
roll d20 + 9 to possibley open a locked door or chest

tumble
roll d20 +8 to reduce falling damage
roll d20 +8 to avoid being attacked when moving near enemies
roll d20 +8 (very hard) to flip over or slide under an enemy in a square.

Max Caysey
2022-01-21, 10:14 AM
I wonder if maybe him having roll20 open and using their build it character sheets might help… then it will automatically roll the right things and apply modifiers for him

RexDart
2022-01-21, 11:16 AM
I haven't had this particular problem, but not too dissimilar, in coming up with a good character sheet for my personal use.

My main issue with most of the 3.5 character sheets out there is that they're both too cluttered and best used by people with "young eyes."

I ended up just making a Word document with lots of Tables for stuff, and omitting stuff I didn't need (like lines for skills the particular character is extremely unlikely to ever use, and 100% certain not to put points in.)

Malphegor
2022-01-21, 05:33 PM
I tend to use that one website’s dyslexic character sheets for readability, but I find I end up scribbling down what the formula is for stuff.

Especially melee attack rolls for some reason, I cannot and probably willnot ever learn how it all adds up to do a melee attack. I can read it and do it but I will not retain this information for wizardry has no need of this

Troacctid
2022-01-22, 03:16 PM
The d20 is used for every single roll in the core rules except damage rolls. Everything is a d20. You could probably take all the rest of the player's dice away and leave them with just a d20 and they'd be fine.

Try sorting the character sheet into columns based on the die needed. One column for each die. Then write all the different actions and the modifier for them. So under d4, it would be blank. Under d6, it would be blank. Under d8, maybe you would have longsword damage, 1d8+5. Then d10 and d12 would be blank again, and then d20 would have a big long list including every skill. Then you'd have a column for "No roll needed" with a few things that don't require a roll, like lay on hands or inspire courage, as appropriate for their class.

When the player levels up, the whole sheet will need to be updated from top to bottom, of course.