PDA

View Full Version : The Cold Berserker

meet shield
2007-11-21, 04:04 PM
"Cold berserker" is how I named the kind of barbarian of I like so much.
A cold berserker it's a barbarian of don't became a perfec idiot in rage, but became more stron, more focus, a perfect killer.
For example I really like the variant of the barbarian of give you +2 AC to dodge in rage, +4 str e (I don't know the name) the monk capacity for do more attack whit a -2 penality in rage, but whit war weapons too.
I really prefer that type to the type "Hulk!Breaks!" cause it's beutyfull and more funny.
I like to play it multiclassing to warmind, psionic fighter and rage, and then use deep impact (but only in rage, cause then you can say: it depends from my capacity to canalize my rage under my control).
What do you think: am I creazy and you too prefer the variant "I not need smarts! bash!" or you agree whit me?

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-21, 04:06 PM
sounds good but, i dunno if it should be a berserker something more rational

meet shield
2007-11-21, 04:32 PM
it's a question of interpretation: for example, have you read the trilogy "light and shadow" of Elaine Cunningham, Forgotten realms? Well, the protagonist is my idea of a Cold Berserker: he can't control him self, he can't stop his rage, an he'll continue to fight, it's not important if he'll dead. But at the same time, he became more focus and he can dodge more then normally, and he KNOW, only for istinct, how he have to do for win.

Person_Man
2007-11-21, 05:05 PM
Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50588)!!!

Zincorium
2007-11-21, 05:54 PM
For a more dodge-oriented character the whirling frenzy variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) for barbarians may be more appropriate.

meet shield
2007-11-24, 02:04 PM
well, thanks, but it's the variant of I'm speaking...
One question: do you know a similar variant of the fury of the frenzied berserker?
If not, how do you change the frenzied berserker class for a similar barbarian?

Ninja Chocobo
2007-11-24, 07:30 PM
well, thanks, but it's the variant of I'm speaking...
One question: do you know a similar variant of the fury of the frenzied berserker?
If not, how do you change the frenzied berserker class for a similar barbarian?

The thing is with a FBzrk, is that it's not Rage, it's Frenzy. The character doesn't just get angrier and stronger, they turn into an unstoppable killing machine, focused entirely on killing. It's not "I no need smarts. Hulk smash!", it's "GRAAAAAARRRGH! *killkillkill*"

Also, when I read the title of your thread I thought you meant the Frostrager (Frostburn).

Temp
2007-11-25, 02:27 AM
do you know a similar variant of the fury of the frenzied berserker?

Zincorium already linked the best one.

There's also the "Ferocity" variant here (http://64.223.12.31/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (you'll need to scroll down a bit), but it doesn't emulate the Berzerker as well.

Talic
2007-11-25, 02:53 AM
If it's channeled into a hunter mentality, a "perfect warrior", then it's not a barbarian.

Mechanically, I think it's a bit off for a base class. Removing the dodge penalty, replacing it with a bonus, removing the restriction against mental and concentration based skills, and balancing it with the loss of the HP? It seems a bit off.

Just my 2 cp.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-25, 09:39 AM
It seems like a good idea, gives more reasons for the rage rather than just your making me angry.

meet shield
2007-11-26, 12:05 PM
Well, of course I can't change your opinion, if you don't want, I only can try do do it, but my point is: it's too wrong optimaze the barbarian class? it's really really wrong? a normally barbarian are useless then a fighter. A two good feats are really too better then rage and unkenny dodge. Of course the multiclassing exist, but you can giustificate in this mode the unpowered class.
Second, the wizard exist, and contingecnce (celerity) too.
And, if wizard exist, I absolutly think it isn't wrong powerede the neat-shields.

About the "killkillkill" frenzied berserker, another time it's a question of ideas: I think a warrior of never stop to kill, death or alive, can be "hot", and kill everithing saing YHAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH! or "cold" and, in silence, ignore the arrows in his skin, his eye on your sword, his hearth on the ground and came to kill you.

That's my position.

SoD
2007-11-26, 12:08 PM
I remember one guy who played a barbarian varient called the Horselord. Instead of rage, it got a very slightly different (can't remember how, but it was) ability called 'battle extasy'. That brought up some...interesting situations...

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-26, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't say fighter is better than barbarian but your right thiers nothing wrong trying to make a barbarian as good as a cleric or druid at fighting.

meet shield
2007-11-26, 12:30 PM
someone of your know this horselord variant? I'm really interesting...

Oh, thanks for the street barbarian, I prefer the other variant, but it's similar to what I'm speaking about.