PDA

View Full Version : Some help on picking out a character

Houster
2022-01-22, 01:07 PM
Hi all.
I'm returning to my dnd group after a few months of not playing. I have this urge of playing a different character, for trying out stuff(this is only the 2nd long term campaign i'm in).
Problem is, dm said my character is already part of the story he made and dislikes(but doesn't disallow) just making a new one. He thinks I should maybe just change class or something in that order. I must say I understand him.

I played a fighter cleric(6 ftr/ 3 clr) dwarf of kord. Was all about competition, looking for challenges, and fair play. Using violence as a means of growth and not slaughter. Many good rp moments, but I am not super attracted to him.
Also, being primarily a fighter seems kinda boring(my last char was a wizard), though I admit we mostly played without any abilities in the last arc(most of the campaign so far).
I am very attracted to the divine soul aasimar character(picking out spells is so fun!). Also just respecing to tempest cleric really seems fun for all the cool control spells. I can see also continuing as is, but 2nd level cleric spells seem so boring... I mainly would attack and not have lots to do outside combat either.

I know this is a preference thing, but try to say what you would do and why, or maybe I am looking at this the wrong way.

P.S
-The party has druid, barb, rouge and wizard, so role wise almost everything is covered.
-campaign will go 20 but leveling is extremely slow.

Thanks for all answers!

Eldariel
2022-01-22, 02:07 PM
Zeal Cleric (Amonkhet) would be awesome; it's basically just Tempest Cleric++. And yeah, straight caster sounds like the way to go and the party really mostly could use restorative and CC/support magic.

Cleric is fine but Bard and Divine Soul are both some things to consider too. Bard-wise, Lore is obviously the best for this party though Eloquence is also good. It helps that you kinda lack a Cha class. Divine Soul is kinda unforgiving but solid with some planning (e.g. casting level 5 Aid on character level 7 by converting sorcery points to slot).

JLandan
2022-01-22, 02:17 PM
Paladin is usually great sub for a Fighter/Cleric. Your "looking for challenges" personality trait is a perfect fit.

Your group, while having a Barbarian, could still use some up front. And an Aasimar Paladin would be a decent healer, though not as strong as a straight up Cleric. Throw in a one level dip of Divine Soul Sorcerer and it would be even stronger.

CTurbo
2022-01-22, 07:30 PM
Hi all.
I'm returning to my dnd group after a few months of not playing. I have this urge of playing a different character, for trying out stuff(this is only the 2nd long term campaign i'm in).
Problem is, dm said my character is already part of the story he made and dislikes(but doesn't disallow) just making a new one. He thinks I should maybe just change class or something in that order. I must say I understand him.

I played a fighter cleric(6 ftr/ 3 clr) dwarf of kord. Was all about competition, looking for challenges, and fair play. Using violence as a means of growth and not slaughter. Many good rp moments, but I am not super attracted to him.
Also, being primarily a fighter seems kinda boring(my last char was a wizard), though I admit we mostly played without any abilities in the last arc(most of the campaign so far).
I am very attracted to the divine soul aasimar character(picking out spells is so fun!). Also just respecing to tempest cleric really seems fun for all the cool control spells. I can see also continuing as is, but 2nd level cleric spells seem so boring... I mainly would attack and not have lots to do outside combat either.

I know this is a preference thing, but try to say what you would do and why, or maybe I am looking at this the wrong way.

P.S
-The party has druid, barb, rouge and wizard, so role wise almost everything is covered.
-campaign will go 20 but leveling is extremely slow.

Thanks for all answers!

Tell us more about your Fighter/Cleric? Which Fighter subclass? Any feats? What are the stats?

I think that Tempest Cleric's are EXTREMELY fun to play and I think you should give it more time(and more Cleric levels) before deciding on a new character.

Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning all upcast well especially with your ability to maximize their damage. Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, and Sleet Storm are decent control spells.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-01-22, 08:13 PM
Paladin is usually great sub for a Fighter/Cleric. Your "looking for challenges" personality trait is a perfect fit.

Your group, while having a Barbarian, could still use some up front. And an Aasimar Paladin would be a decent healer, though not as strong as a straight up Cleric. Throw in a one level dip of Divine Soul Sorcerer and it would be even stronger.

I played a Paladin in a campaign with a Barbarian, and by mid levels that Barb wasn't leaving the Paladin's Auras. On one occasion the Barb would have needed to roll a 20 to avoid running from a Pit Fiend and leaving everyone else exposed, but nope... immune to Fear. So I'm seconding the Paladin.

Houster
2022-01-22, 11:02 PM
Tell us more about your Fighter/Cleric? Which Fighter subclass? Any feats? What are the stats?

I think that Tempest Cleric's are EXTREMELY fun to play and I think you should give it more time(and more Cleric levels) before deciding on a new character.

Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning all upcast well especially with your ability to maximize their damage. Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, and Sleet Storm are decent control spells.

I'm an ek/war cleric. Squat nimbelness+fey touched.
Stats 18 10 16 8 16 8.
I would get the option to switch feats and stats if I completely change class.

CTurbo
2022-01-22, 11:56 PM
I'm an ek/war cleric. Squat nimbelness+fey touched.
Stats 18 10 16 8 16 8.
I would get the option to switch feats and stats if I completely change class.

Oh I see. Yeah War Cleric is one of the most boring Cleric subclasses IMO so I would definitely swap to Tempest if you're able. I'd grab a 7th level of Fighter for War Magic which is great and also 2nd level Wizard spells. Then keep on the Tempest path. Booming Blade will be very fitting for you, and you'll be able to use it often.

Eldariel
2022-01-23, 04:31 AM
Oh I see. Yeah War Cleric is one of the most boring Cleric subclasses IMO so I would definitely swap to Tempest if you're able. I'd grab a 7th level of Fighter for War Magic which is great and also 2nd level Wizard spells. Then keep on the Tempest path. Booming Blade will be very fitting for you, and you'll be able to use it often.

War Magic...kinda faces stiff competition from the Cleric spell list, which includes Spiritual Weapon, Sanctuary, Healing Word, etc. It's not very efficient to use your action to BB and then bonus action to attack if you could just attack twice with your normal action and then once with Spiritual Weapon, for example. Let alone if you pick a fighting style that has on-hit enhancers like archery or heavy weapons. I don't think it's very good to start off with (PAM/GWM or SS/XBE does more with the bonus action and main action as does Dueling Shadow Blade even without using the bonus action on anything special), but in the case where you have access to Cleric spells I definitely wouldn't put a whole level into it; Cleric is one of the best bonus action users in the game on the base level.

Houster
2022-01-23, 07:27 AM
War Magic...kinda faces stiff competition from the Cleric spell list, which includes Spiritual Weapon, Sanctuary, Healing Word, etc. It's not very efficient to use your action to BB and then bonus action to attack if you could just attack twice with your normal action and then once with Spiritual Weapon, for example. Let alone if you pick a fighting style that has on-hit enhancers like archery or heavy weapons. I don't think it's very good to start off with (PAM/GWM or SS/XBE does more with the bonus action and main action as does Dueling Shadow Blade even without using the bonus action on anything special), but in the case where you have access to Cleric spells I definitely wouldn't put a whole level into it; Cleric is one of the best bonus action users in the game on the base level.

Yeah I agree.
Man I thought sanctuary would be a bomb to defend others but it's really hard to nail cause of iniative. Casting it on myself was useless as with 19 base ac and shield spell I am not getting hit a lot.

da newt
2022-01-23, 09:46 AM
I'd suggest looking for ways to morph your current guy into something that will do a better job of tickling your fancy. I could see RP-ing a Dwarf who somehow figures out he's actually got some divine blood -> now you are an aasimar, although stockier and beardier than most aasimar ...

As for class, I'd think a gentle tweak to change subclass to tempest and an adjustment to all cleric levels or a new ratio of fighter/cleric would be a fairly mild reflavoring. In other words, not really a new PC, just the growth or evolution of the guy you already are ...

And as others have said fighter/cleric ~= paladin too.

If it's more of an evolution, I'd think it would be more palatable for the DM and the rest of the party to weave into their existing fictional history.

Of course you could always go the Hodor / heroic self sacrificing death route and then have carte blanche to start a new PC when this one is dead ...