PDA

View Full Version : Seeking out a class equivalent for Pathfinder;

WitchyKitty
2022-01-23, 03:24 AM
So... basically I've kinda fallen in love with Final Fantasy as of late. You got your black mage, white mage... magus, devout (their respective upgrades)... But one class- or job, as they're known in FF, that caught my eye was the 'Sage'.
Described as masters of both black and white magic (which I suppose could be considered arcane / divine). The Sage seems to be described as able to use both schools ( in FF, anyway ), but not having nearly enough the mana points that a fully devoted black mage or white mage would have.

While simultaneously being physically as useless as a soaked piece of paper with practically no weapons useable- unless your typical staff or knife/dagger count. And of course, no armor proficiency. (The FFIII variant)

I don't suppose anyone could help me track down maybe a rough equivalent in Pathfinder? I realize very much that this could be tricky to do, but I figured that I would ask and see if anyone might have some insight!

Jervis
2022-01-23, 03:37 AM
So... basically I've kinda fallen in love with Final Fantasy as of late. You got your black mage, white mage... magus, devout (their respective upgrades)... But one class- or job, as they're known in FF, that caught my eye was the 'Sage'.
Described as masters of both black and white magic (which I suppose could be considered arcane / divine). The Sage seems to be described as able to use both schools ( in FF, anyway ), but not having nearly enough the mana points that a fully devoted black mage or white mage would have.

While simultaneously being physically as useless as a soaked piece of paper with practically no weapons useable- unless your typical staff or knife/dagger count. And of course, no armor proficiency. (The FFIII variant)

I don't suppose anyone could help me track down maybe a rough equivalent in Pathfinder? I realize very much that this could be tricky to do, but I figured that I would ask and see if anyone might have some insight!

Early entry Mystic Theurge kinda works but their slots are pretty good but with slower progression. If 3rd party is allowed then Theurge https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/kobold-press-open-design/theurge/ fits the bill perfectly. Good luck getting a DM to OK it though, you get double the bonus spells because you're getting them from two stats. They also have Archivist casting for arcane and divine, meaning they get literally ALLLL the spells outside of weird secondary casting class things like Psychic.

ngilop
2022-01-23, 04:06 AM
There is this https://www.finalfantasyd20.com/classes/hybrid-classes/scholar/

Which is basically the exact thing you are asking for.

The witch also has a spell list that consist of spell from both arcane and divine lists (but are arcane for the witch)

Kurald Galain
2022-01-23, 08:00 AM
Another option is arcanist with the Magaambyan Initiate archetype, i.e. a wizard-like caster who gets some druid spells; or a druid with the Halcyon archetype, who gets some wizard and cleric spells; or an oracle with the Ancient Lorekeeper archetype and/or the Shadow mystery, which is a cleric-like caster who gets some wizard spells.

Because generally speaking, Pathfinder favors single-class solutions over hybrid prestige classes like the Mystic Theurge.

WitchyKitty
2022-01-23, 06:00 PM
There is this <<politely snipped due to my own minimal post-amount prohibiting the existence of links, even in quote-replies>>

Which is basically the exact thing you are asking for.

The witch also has a spell list that consist of spell from both arcane and divine lists (but are arcane for the witch)

This.. this is precisely what I was asking for (without realizing), thank you! And it actually seems to line up with the SCH in FF11.

My next conundrum would be finding a group that would allow this, I suppose. Or in an FF universe, I suppose, which would be tricky, as PF is often a little too crunchy for most folks' tastes.

Kurald Galain
2022-01-23, 06:34 PM
My next conundrum would be finding a group that would allow this,
Well it's going to be really easy for you to find a group that plays PF. But it's going to be really hard to find a group that plays in the FF universe, or one that allows "kobold press" material. Other than the Path of War and Spheres books, I've found it exceedingly rare for any group to allow third-party material, because there's already so much first-party material (edit: or in this case, because the third-party material is wildly imbalanced). Just FYI.

aglondier
2022-01-24, 06:00 AM
I vaguely remember a 3.0 book of eldritch somethingorother that had a prestige class that combined arcane and divine in such a way as you still got access to 9th level spellcasting at the highest levels.

I'll edit this post if i can find it again...and done...

I was close, Malhavoc Press, the Book of Hallowed Might. The prestige class Hallowed Mage requires 3rd level spell access in both arcane and divine spellcasting classes, but once you are in it, it picks you up at 4th level spells through to 9th, with a spell list that takes from both arcane and divine.