PDA

View Full Version : Taming legendary animals

Blindy
2022-01-23, 11:38 AM
In our most recent session our DM threw a couple legendary tigers at us. We are all 9th level amd all have access to flight so we did that and the rogue started shooting a bow, the psion started manifesting so energy blasts, and the sorcerer started hurling magic missiles. They quickly ran away and we moved on. I however am playing an archivist summoner that has a lot of druid spells and my guys interested in these legendary lions. The stats are quite amazing for a CR 10 creature. As far as animals go the legendary is the best of the best. As an archivist, and in particular I'm playing a forest gnome, I have many druid spells known. Animal growth among them. EVEN BIGGER TIGERS. I see the potential.

The first problem that needs solved is capturing a tiger. A simple ray of stupidity will make it helpless. As far as I'm aware, helpless creatures are automatically willing when it comes to spells. I have planeshift and we came across an abandoned demi plane a couple levels back so that can serve as our zoo for the time.

Now that we have yhe tiger in our inescapable demiplane, how do we get it to Pikachu status? A couple things come to mind, animal control is a 3.0 feat with questionable pre requires as the spell animal friendship was turned in the animal companion druid feature. Assuming this is gored, a command creature is permanently under your control. Since the spell says your effective cleric level is your highest divine caster level, we can do some greater consumptive field dumbness to get to that magical CL 56. I think this is a stretch.

Another option is the awaken spell. I can make them sentient and be a good gnome and talk to them. Maybe they have an adventurous spirit? Maybe they are friendly to me but really want to eat the three people that were shooting **** at them. Who knows. This seems like a much more reasonable option though. Also a cool one. Awaken is a cool spell.

Amd here lies the question. What other ways do you guys know of to achieve Pikachu status legendary tiger follower? I haven't really played a whole lot at this level and don't know all there is to know.

thethird
2022-01-23, 01:29 PM
Give it the warbeast template. It will take you a year and a month. But it's stats will improve. And will be trained by the end of it.

Use ample charm animal / dominate animal while you are at it. Incidentally if you had a mark of handling you could grab a collar of wild dominion to permanently dominate it.

Lilapop
2022-01-23, 01:38 PM
Amd here lies the question. What other ways do you guys know of to achieve Pikachu status legendary tiger follower? I haven't really played a whole lot at this level and don't know all there is to know.

SNA IV in some nixies, have them spam rushed wild empathies (1d20+6 vs DC 15+10 for unfriendly -> indifferent). Pull whatever magic you like to make handle animal checks untrained, take 10, use generic unexplained masterwork tools or anything specific (animal treats are a thing somewhere) as well as magic bonuses, and teach your tiger up to six tricks.

Blindy
2022-01-23, 10:01 PM
Use ample charm animal / dominate animal while you are at it. Incidentally if you had a mark of handling you could grab a collar of wild dominion to permanently dominate it.

this seems interesting. what source are these from?

thethird
2022-01-24, 05:34 AM
this seems interesting. what source are these from?

Both charm and dominate animal are core.

You shouldn't be able to grab a mark of handling though. Mark of handling is from Eberron, and it requires you being human (pretty tied to the setting fluff). The collar of the wild bond (sorry misremembered the name) is also from Eberron Campaign setting, and should make the dominate animal permanent while wearing the collar.

It still doesn't top giving it the warbeast template, and making it tame.

Maat Mons
2022-01-24, 06:25 AM
It may be worth noting that nothing in the Warbeast description says that ordinary animals can become warbeasts via training.

"You can train a dog" doesn't mean "you can turn other things turn into dogs if you train them." Similarly, "you can train a Warbeast, here's how" doesn't mean "you can turn other things into warbeasts if you train them, here's how."

thethird
2022-01-24, 06:35 AM
It may be worth noting that nothing in the Warbeast description says that ordinary animals can become warbeasts via training.

"You can train a dog" doesn't mean "you can turn other things turn into dogs if you train them." Similarly, "you can train a Warbeast, here's how" doesn't mean "you can turn other things into warbeasts if you train them, here's how."

While that is "true" the training of a warbeast has a line about if the warbeast is based in a wild animal, which would be the case. And it also says that it needs to be trained for X time to develop its abilities (which makes sense to understand that that means it's warbeast abilities, i.e. the template).

"Warbeast" is a template that can be added to any Medium-size or larger animal, beast, or vermin (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A warbeast uses all the base creature's attributes and special abilities except as noted here.

[...]

Training A Warbeast
A warbeast can be reared and trained just as the base creature can. If the base creature is a domestic animal, the creature need nor be specially reared, but it must be trained for two months (Handle Animal DC 20) to develop its abilities.

A warbeast based on a wild animal must be reared for one year (Handle Animal DC 15 + HD of the warbeast), then trained for 2 months (Handle Animal DC 20 + HD of the warbeast).

A warbeast based on a beast must be reared for one year (Handle Animal DC 20 + HD of the warbeast), then trained for 2 months (Handle Animal DC 25 + HD of the warbeast).

A warbeast based on a vermin, being mindless, is untrainable. A trained warbeast is capable of carrying a rider into battle, and it gains the combative mount special quality (see above).

Gemini476
2022-01-24, 10:16 AM
Importantly, though, keep in mind that "must be reared for one year" means that you need to find a cub. You can't make an adult animal into a warbeast.

Maat Mons
2022-01-24, 06:03 PM
The "can be added to any Medium-size or larger animal" language is consistent with all other templates, including inherited ones. So I don't see what that has to do with anything.

The line about a Warbeast needing training to develop its abilities is pretty similar to what I was saying before. If you have a Warbeast, you need to train it before it can use all of its abilities. Specifically, the Combative Mount ability requires training to develop, as noted in its description. This isn't saying a non-warbeast develops into a warbeast with training. It's saying a creature that is already a Warbeast still needs training before it's abilities are fully developed.

I'd like to make a quote of my own:

The warbeast is a creature born and raised to serve as a rider's mount. Bred for exceptional strength, aggression, and surefootedness, these creatures are powerfully built, strong-willed, and openly belligerent.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-24, 06:18 PM
Perhaps you could polymorph any object it into a smaller cat with a LOT less Strength (such as a housecat). Yes, it could still slaughter N+1 level 1 wizards, but it would still make make it much easier to handle. Also, giving it enough negative levels to keep it around 1-2 HD would make training it MUCH easier. Some Sudden Maximized enervations or even some Fell Drain sonic snaps would help you with that. Just don't do anything that causes it pain, but if you have to do anything unpleasant (as I'm sure negative levels would be), hit it with a deep slumber spell first, or wait until it goes to sleep. It's far less likely to hold a grudge against you that way. Also, greater bestow curse has "alter age category by one" as one of its splatbook functions, so hit it with enough of these that it reverts to a kitten. Should make rearing it much easier.

Blindy
2022-01-24, 10:05 PM
I feel like another simple solution to this whole "rasing it from birth" is to just raise it from birth. minimum we are talkinga year and a half for any reading of the template so this is a long term thing anyways. I probably would want to raise one anyways. On another note. How much do you this it would cost some adventurer out there to buy himself a trained legendary tiger. Perhaps this might be profitable.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-01-24, 10:16 PM
I feel like another simple solution to this whole "rasing it from birth" is to just raise it from birth. minimum we are talkinga year and a half for any reading of the template so this is a long term thing anyways. I probably would want to raise one anyways. On another note. How much do you this it would cost some adventurer out there to buy himself a trained legendary tiger. Perhaps this might be profitable.Add the warbeast template on top of a few others, and you have the following:

Market Price: The market price of a warbeast is a function of its Hit Dice: 50 gp/HD for a warbeast of 3 HD or less, or 100 gp + 75 gp/HD for one of 4 HD or more.

You can also add other templates for a small additional cost (if any at all), such as paragon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm), titanic, and magebred.

You can get some really powerful friends this way, for cheap.

Malphegor
2022-01-25, 02:18 AM
a much easier way to get one would probably be to build your own legendary tiger with the Effigy Creature template, who can be controlled by you with normal language and you can give others temporary admin privileges to control it too. Mostly because having a robot tiger is an affront to nature and as such I recommend it.

Blindy
2022-01-26, 12:26 AM
a much easier way to get one would probably be to build your own legendary tiger with the Effigy Creature template, who can be controlled by you with normal language and you can give others temporary admin privileges to control it too. Mostly because having a robot tiger is an affront to nature and as such I recommend it.

that sounds like a good plan. I dont know if my forest gnome could pull that off but perhaps a different character would work with that.