PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Teamwork Feats

Necrosnoop110
2022-01-23, 12:28 PM
I'm looking to reward my PCs by allowing them to pick from a short list of "teamwork feats" something like these (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4qtufa/a_party_feat_system_and_teamwork_feats_for_5e/). Has anyone found anything they liked for 5E? Official? Unearth Arcana? Homebrew?

Thanks,
Necro

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-23, 02:37 PM
I'm looking to reward my PCs by allowing them to pick from a short list of "teamwork feats" something like these (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4qtufa/a_party_feat_system_and_teamwork_feats_for_5e/). Has anyone found anything they liked for 5E? Official? Unearth Arcana? Homebrew?

Thanks,
Necro

There are already two team focused feat called Inspiring Leader and Healer.
Opinion follows:
Teamwork needs for the players to gel and work as a team: it hardly needs a feat. Synergy happens when the players put the effort into it and form a team where they work together. Each player needs to really know their character, and look at "how can I contribute to team/mission/adventure success?" actively.

Necrosnoop110
2022-01-23, 03:49 PM
There are already two team focused feat called Inspiring Leader and Healer.
Opinion follows:
Teamwork needs for the players to gel and work as a team: it hardly needs a feat. Synergy happens when the players put the effort into it and form a team where they work together. Each player needs to really know their character, and look at "how can I contribute to team/mission/adventure success?" actively.

Thanks for the response. I am the DM and I am interested in offering my PCs a "group feat" as a story reward. The PCs have graduated from a military academy and this would be a group bonus. Not even requiring that the PCs spend any ASI to get this "party feat" this is just a cherry on top and not an attempt to "fix" the game or anything like that.

Thought it would be easier use something already worked up than homebrew my own. Tactical feats and like have been in previous editions so this isn't an unheard of idea.

Sillybird99
2022-01-23, 04:10 PM
I don't know of any existing ones I'd recommend, and I'd have to know more about the parties composition to give solid recomendations. But I have some rough ideas that could be honed if you like them.

Graduating a military academy is cool. Something like 'if they aren't surprised they can swap places with one another freely in initiative order before combat starts' speaks to experience working and fighting with each other and allows for setting up lots of 1st round synergies.

You could also unlock flanking for them, but that would be really strong and only benefit melee characters. I'd make it +1/+2 to hit instead of advantage and maybe require the 'helper' using their reaction to grant the bonus to the 'striker'.

A feat that focuses on their ability to form up into a fighting formation could be cool. Like if they arent surprised, each of them can move half their speed when they roll initiative as long as they end their movement within 10ft of an ally. Or a Phalanx type feat if they are within 5ft of an ally, both allies gain +1 AC or something.

Feats are really strong tho, and giving the whole party a feat, even if it is one you choose and weigh carefully, will impact combat power a lot.

Mastikator
2022-01-23, 04:23 PM
How about a reduced version of Magic Initiate where the 1st spell they choose can only target someone other than themselves with this feat? The spell they cast can only be cast once, can not be cast using spell slots, and if it targets multiple creatures it still can't target themselves. The equation in their heads will be "how do I pick a spell to benefit my allies?". Their friends builds will be in the forefront of their minds. Allow them to strategize together, because that is teamwork.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-23, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the response. I am the DM and I am interested in offering my PCs a "group feat" as a story reward. The PCs have graduated from a military academy and this would be a group bonus. Not even requiring that the PCs spend any ASI to get this "party feat" this is just a cherry on top and not an attempt to "fix" the game or anything like that.

Thought it would be easier use something already worked up than homebrew my own. Tactical feats and like have been in previous editions so this isn't an unheard of idea.
Hmm, maybe you can give them something like "class rings" - similar to an item which our DM allowed to our party last year. There is a magic item (3rd party as far as I know) that is called an earring of whisper that allows whomever wears it to use the message cantrip. I think the item comes from Matt Mercer's campaign, but I'm not sure. Reskin it as a ring- their class ring from their military academy - and they each wear one ... sound good to you? :smallsmile:

An Earring of Whisper is a gemmed and enchanted item that delivers and receives Message spells to and from the other connected earrings within five hundred feet.
To send a message, the wearer must activate the earring by touching it with a hand; no activation is necessary to receive messages.
That will enable/promote teamwork.
If not a ring then maybe a tattoo each one of them has around a finger or going around their wrist?

diplomancer
2022-01-23, 04:29 PM
Assuming there are no Mastermind rogues, what about "you can take the Help action as a bonus action". Still has the usual limitations, like having to be close to the enemy, but simple and pretty effective.

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-23, 04:30 PM
Assuming there are no Mastermind rogues, what about "you can take the Help action as a bonus action". Still has the usual limitations, like having to be close to the enemy, but simple and pretty effective. Very thematic as well. :smallsmile:

tokek
2022-01-23, 04:46 PM
Chef is a nice team feat, bonus recovery on a short rest and the treats to share out for a few temp hit points.

Kane0
2022-01-23, 05:18 PM
There is the UA feat Tandem Tactician

stoutstien
2022-01-23, 05:22 PM
There is the UA feat Tandem Tactician

So sad it didn't make the cut.