PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Booyahg became a Kenku. Intelligence or Charisma sidekick?

Melphizard
2022-01-23, 02:42 PM
Hey folks!

Recently in one of my games the players encountered a goblin Booyahg Booyahg Booyahg, which is essentially a mage but every spell causes a wild magic surge. During this battle, the goblin surged and rolled the follow: 91-92 If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the Reincarnate spell.

Well, they killed the Booyahg and it came back as a very confused and short kenku. They captured it and now I've decided that just in case they decide to make it a more familiar companion, I'm giving it sidekick - Spellcaster stats; but, it lacks a sorcerer option (which fits the wild magic). So, should I have the Booyahg (now Kenku) be given charisma casting that's befitting of a wild magic sorcerer; or, do I give it intelligence as fits what its original stats were intended to be.

P.S.: Before you ask, yes. The Booyahg now no longer has the ability to speak until it is taught words by the party to mimic or if for some reason the party leaves the Booyahg somewhere until May rolls around, releasing the new kenku and giving these ravens a voice.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889318198275604530/934238465267208243/unknown.png
(Art done by Otakoma on Deviantart and I found it on Google)

Unoriginal
2022-01-23, 02:49 PM
Hey folks!

Recently in one of my games the players encountered a goblin Booyahg Booyahg Booyahg, which is essentially a mage but every spell causes a wild magic surge. During this battle, the goblin surged and rolled the follow: 91-92 If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the Reincarnate spell.

Well, they killed the Booyahg and it came back as a very confused and short kenku. They captured it and now I've decided that just in case they decide to make it a more familiar companion, I'm giving it sidekick - Spellcaster stats; but, it lacks a sorcerer option (which fits the wild magic). So, should I have the Booyahg (now Kenku) be given charisma casting that's befitting of a wild magic sorcerer; or, do I give it intelligence as fits what its original stats were intended to be.

If you want to use the sidekick rules, I would go for giving the Booyahg Booyahg Booyahg the mage Spellcaster sidekick option, with charisma casting.

Amnestic
2022-01-23, 02:55 PM
So they fought and killed this goblin in battle and now it's resurrected as a kenku, which they have now taken hostage of, and their plan is to make it their sidekick, without somehow getting shivved in the night?
...okay.

Leave it with int spellcasting, give it a special wild surge trait, sorted.

Unoriginal
2022-01-23, 03:02 PM
So they fought and killed this goblin in battle and now it's resurrected as a kenku, which they have now taken hostage of, and their plan is to make it their sidekick, without somehow getting shivved in the night?
...okay.

Honestly I would keep the Booyahg Booyahg Booyahg statblock precisely because it's unlikely this goblin-turned-kenku will ever be their friends, and will likely flee or hurt the PCs the moment they can.

But if OP wants to use the Sidekick rules, that's their choice.