PDA

View Full Version : does this work? Familliar question

Soranar
2022-01-23, 03:48 PM
Ok so I was looking for a familiar big enough to be a mount and I found this ridiculously strong familiar in serpent kingdom (is anything balanced in that book?)

the dung snake

-medium sized
-3 hit dice
-3 movement moves (20 ground, 20 climb, 20 swim)
-17 STR and DEX with fast healing 1 and immunity to disease

the only issue is that it's aquatic

the first fix I can think for that is making it a stitch-fleshed familiar , being undead it doesn't need to breathe but it being undead is kind of annoying if you want to play a good-aligned character

a shadowform familiar could also work but then it can't fight anymore since it's incorporeal

Finally if I play a shadowcaster it could use shadow familiar to get one with the dark template but even then I'm not sure if that works: do dark creatures need to breathe?

loky1109
2022-01-23, 04:16 PM
I don't see aquatic subtype dung snake is got. It breath air, not water. Or you need water breathing?

Soranar
2022-01-23, 04:20 PM
I don't see aquatic subtype dung snake is got. It breath air, not water. Or you need water breathing?

If you look in the description it says it's aquatic no?

loky1109
2022-01-23, 04:27 PM
If you look in the description it says it's aquatic no?
It's water-dwelling, not aquatic. It's not the same.
Look on octopus: Small Animal (Aquatic).
Look on crocodile: Medium Animal. Yes, it lives in water, no it isn't aquatic.

Look in type (subtype) line, not in the description.

Many real world snakes live in water, grass snake (Natrix natrix), for example. They still breath air. I can't remember no reptile that can breath only directly water, to be honest. Trionychia and Sea snakes can partly breath water, but still need air.

Seward
2022-01-24, 01:15 AM
Man, my wife's gnome sorceress would have ditched her riding dog for that familiar in a heartbeat :)

Bad Wolf
2022-01-24, 04:49 AM
Man, my wife's gnome sorceress would have ditched her riding dog for that familiar in a heartbeat :)

Can you ride a snake though? It'd be like trying to ride a pool noodle. :smalltongue:

Seward
2022-01-24, 11:05 AM
Can you ride a snake though? It'd be like trying to ride a pool noodle. :smalltongue:

Exotic Saddle FTW.

It's not like she had any skill in riding a dog either. She just clung grimly to the saddle and breathed acid when the motion was too much for reliable spellcasting.