PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Homebrew Feedback -- How unbalanced is this?

Lord_Dots
2022-01-24, 11:24 AM
My DM ended up making a homebrew class for my character to better fit the idea of my character and her background. While DM really enjoys the idea of homebrew, they have not necessarily done research into how to create/balance a homebrew class -- it is more just what they thought would fit. As you'll see, the class is kind of like a Fighter/Wizard multiclass (character was originally an Eldritch Knight and then DM had the idea for the homebrew when the PCs were Level 4, so it started at Level 5). I'll focus mostly on the abilities granted. Here goes:

First two levels are close to what a fighter gets: Access to a Fighting Style, Second Wind, and Action Surge. Wears light armor and main weapon is Longbow. Proficient in DEX and INT Saving Throws.

Level 3: Gain access to spellcasting, following exactly how a Wizard would progress (except two levels behind). Can only choose Abjuration, Conjuration, and Evocation spells. Cannot add new spells into spellbook. Has specific 'class' spells granted at specific levels. (Level 3 - a homebrew version of Hex and Puppet. Level 5 - Enhance Abilities and Hold Person. Level 7 - Motivational Speech and Slow. Level 9 - Arcane Eye and Divination. Level 11 - Greater Restoration and Scrying).

Level 4: ASI

Level 5: Extra Attack. Longbow is now a Conjuration (for flavor), and, as a BA, can create a Portal once per encounter. Can see and shoot through the portal. Can use an action to reposition the portal.

Also gain access to Tactical Abilities. Have a list to prepare from each day. The abilities are mostly defensive (help with Saving Throws, block a Crit, grant 10 ft of extra movement to an ally, gain a d6 to initiative, etc) for battle with a few that are helpful outside of battle (gain adv on a persuasion check for a potential ally, adv for solving a puzzle). They typically use a BA or Reaction. After a couple of levels playing this, I feel like these definitely need to be reworked, but unsure where to start with that. Have a chart for how many I can prepare and how many Free Uses a LR. For example, at Level 5, could Prepare 2 and have 0 Free Uses. At Level 9, Prepare 4 and 3 Free Uses. Have to roll percentile upon use of an ability if out of free uses. For example, At level 5, would have to roll an 80 or below in order to not take a point of exhaustion. If another ability is used that day, it would be a 60 or below. Then 40, 20, until you'd automatically take a point of exhaustion.

Level 6: Dead Level

Level 7: Dead Level

Level 8: ASI

Level 9: Gain proficiency in WIS Saving Throws. Certain Tactical Abilities can now affect two allies.

Level 10: Dead Level

Level 11: Can create two portals. (Was originally going to have Extra Attack(2), but currently unsure of that)

Level 12: ASI

Level 13: Dead Level

Level 14: Can negate one point of exhaustion per LR

Level 15: Potentially putting Extra Attack(2) here.

Level 16: ASI

Level 17: Can target all allies with specific Tactical Abilities. (Was originally going to grant Extra Attack(3) here)

Level 18: Dead Level

Level 19: ASI

Level 20: Capstone TBD

Thoughts? I know the dead levels are not placed where they should be. Again, DM just put things without considering when I'd be gaining access to higher levels spells. Would appreciate opinions from more experienced players. Thank you in advance!

Ganryu
2022-01-24, 11:41 AM
It doesn't get much, but it's too powerful.
9th level spellcasting, fighter's schtick of 3 attacks, wisdom saves, action surge, domain spells on a wizard, D10 hit dice on a full caster, and the homebrew tactical abilities. There's something called a 'rock' and a 'ribbon' when building a character. A few levels are near useless, but flavor things nicely. Such a drunk monk's access to brewery kit. It is nothing but flavor, but is nice to the class. This is nothing but 'rocks', and powerful ones at that.

Fullcasting & con saves are extremely powerful. Sorcerer's pay a lot to get this.

Main thing to question, is, what do they want to do?

Sword and spells? Half caster.
Spells with some martial abilities: Full caster with a few 'don't die' martial schticks thrown in, they still won't WANT to be front line, but can survive a hit or two.

Casting Meteor swarm, then running up in full plate armor with 3 attacks a turn, and a wis sav are a bit powerful.

It's mostly that one's first homebrew class is going to suck, there's a lot of learning when building homebrew, I'll pull up some guides later if I can find it.

Lord_Dots
2022-01-24, 12:25 PM
It doesn't get much, but it's too powerful.
9th level spellcasting, fighter's schtick of 3 attacks, wisdom saves, action surge, domain spells on a wizard, D10 hit dice on a full caster, and the homebrew tactical abilities. There's something called a 'rock' and a 'ribbon' when building a character. A few levels are near useless, but flavor things nicely. Such a drunk monk's access to brewery kit. It is nothing but flavor, but is nice to the class. This is nothing but 'rocks', and powerful ones at that.

Fullcasting & con saves are extremely powerful. Sorcerer's pay a lot to get this.

Main thing to question, is, what do they want to do?

Sword and spells? Half caster.
Spells with some martial abilities: Full caster with a few 'don't die' martial schticks thrown in, they still won't WANT to be front line, but can survive a hit or two.

Casting Meteor swarm, then running up in full plate armor with 3 attacks a turn, and a wis sav are a bit powerful.

It's mostly that one's first homebrew class is going to suck, there's a lot of learning when building homebrew, I'll pull up some guides later if I can find it.

Thanks, I had a feeling it was OP. My DM has a tendency to do that with their homebrew. When they first said they wanted to follow the progression of a full-caster, my first response was. . . 'are you sure about that?'

I did suggest taking away the other Extra Attacks after a few levels of the class (so in the end, only having two attacks total). The 'Domain' spells were to make up for the inability to pick from certain spell classes -- should we have not done that? I want to make sure moving forward that I don't create an un-fun experience for the other plays. So far, no one has complained about me being OP, and I think that is because most of my abilities go towards helping them. Barb loves it when I block a crit for them. Warlock that is squishy because they have 0 Con appreciates it when I help them succeed on a Saving Throw. Can you cast Sending and give my uncle a message? You bet. I guess it is more 'me' that feels bad because I feel like I'm not 'playing by the rules' if I am unbalanced lol.

In the end, DM wanted to make my character much more magical, but still be able to be an archer, and they thought multi-classing Fighter/Wizard would put me too far behind.

Ganryu
2022-01-24, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I had a feeling it was OP. My DM has a tendency to do that with their homebrew. When they first said they wanted to follow the progression of a full-caster, my first response was. . . 'are you sure about that?'

I did suggest taking away the other Extra Attacks after a few levels of the class (so in the end, only having two attacks total). The 'Domain' spells were to make up for the inability to pick from certain spell classes -- should we have not done that? I want to make sure moving forward that I don't create an un-fun experience for the other plays. So far, no one has complained about me being OP, and I think that is because most of my abilities go towards helping them. Barb loves it when I block a crit for them. Warlock that is squishy because they have 0 Con appreciates it when I help them succeed on a Saving Throw. Can you cast Sending and give my uncle a message? You bet. I guess it is more 'me' that feels bad because I feel like I'm not 'playing by the rules' if I am unbalanced lol.

In the end, DM wanted to make my character much more magical, but still be able to be an archer, and they thought multi-classing Fighter/Wizard would put me too far behind.

Eh, if you and the table are having fun, that's all that matters. Personally, Fighter/Wizard is a VERY strong multiclass I'd recommend. Action surge force cage/cloudkill will one shot most encounters.

Or dual spamming fireball.

If help on homebrew is still wanted, I'll have those guides later. I'm at work. Homebrewing an entire class is a ton of work, but personally I find very fun. But that's me.

Is it OP? Yes. Is the table having fun? Then OP doesn't matter. You can make OP with RAW. {Hi Paladin multiclassed with ANYTHING.}

Lord_Dots
2022-01-24, 12:56 PM
Eh, if you and the table are having fun, that's all that matters. Personally, Fighter/Wizard is a VERY strong multiclass I'd recommend. Action surge force cage/cloudkill will one shot most encounters.

Or dual spamming fireball.

If help on homebrew is still wanted, I'll have those guides later. I'm at work. Homebrewing an entire class is a ton of work, but personally I find very fun. But that's me.

Is it OP? Yes. Is the table having fun? Then OP doesn't matter. You can make OP with RAW. {Hi Paladin multiclassed with ANYTHING.}

My original plan was Eldritch Knight/War Wizard multiclass -- I just had no idea how to distribute the levels.

And yes, I would appreciate the links still. Just so that I am more knowledgeable about homebrewing classes in the future. Thank you!

{And bahahaha. We currently have a Warlock/Paladin multiclass in the party}

MoiMagnus
2022-01-24, 01:21 PM
Gain access to spellcasting, following exactly how a Wizard would progress (except two levels behind).

Assuming you don't want to just remove tactical abilities, I'd downgrade the spell progression to a half-level progression, like the Paladin/Ranger/Artificer.

If you also really want to keep the current spell progression, at least make the tactical abilities need to consume spell slots to be used.