PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 Eldritch Knight Planning Higher Levels

Chadironchest
2022-01-24, 10:45 PM
My current game is going very smoothly right now and our GM has expressed plans for reaching 20th level. I've been having a lot of fun with my EK so far but I have been heavily considering a cleric multiclass once I reach level 15.While late level fighter has some goodies, (pretty much just extra action surge/4th attack) I think I get more bang for my buck if I grab more caster levels, especially from a utility standpoint. I'll first detail my current setup/motivation behind my future levels.

Race: Vhuman

Scores: 8,18,14,14,14,8

Feats: Fey Touched (Hunter's Mark), War Caster, Mobile

Fighting Style: Defense (Probably plan on grabbing dueling once I get third attack)

So the crux of the build is going sword and board and being difficult to put down. Kiting around with mobile and causing harassment with booming blade. I tend to concentrate on blur or hunter's mark. It is very much worth noting that I had recently received a +2 finesse longsword that deals an extra 1d8 radiant on a hit so this is even stronger than shadow blade I think while freeing up my concentration. AC is sitting nice at 22 thanks to +1 mithril plate which is why I'm considering dueling while staying at a strong 21 AC. Anyways let's get to the levels.

11: No brainer. I definitely want third attack because I see this build as primarily a melee fighter and getting more attacks with my sword is very good.

12: I am highly considering getting resilient wisdom as our game has a fair bit of magic involved. Alternatively I can hold out on taking it and just max out my dex for an even more consistent and damaging weapon. Initiative is cool too.

13. This is where it gets good and why I stayed past 11. Haste is an absolute game changer for this build giving me 4 attacks a round when it is up while allowing my to be even harder to hit all while being able to move 80ft a round. Counterspell is also going to be incredibly useful. I would have to be sparing with it as my slots would probably be best used on haste, but having this in a world with spellcasters being a threat is very handy, and can lighten the burden on our abjuration wizard. 2nd indomitable is cool.

14. This is the level where I question whether or not it is better to begin the cleric levels. The extra ASI is very handy and assuming I went full cleric the rest of the game I'd be missing on two of the ASI that fighter would grant me. 4th level cleric spells are also nice but the 4th level list isn't the most impressive at a glance. At the very least getting the cleric train going sooner allows for more spell slots. Worth noting I also would be gaining an any-school spell this level.

15: If I didn't start cleric at 14 I would be starting it now. Assuming my GM allows it peace cleric seems like the best value I can get out of this dip. I particularly enjoy the flavor too. The first level alone does too much tbh. The bond makes me and the whole party better at offense, defense, and, skills. I also get a free proficiency in persuasion so my -1 charisma stops making me look stupid when I talk to people. Other neat things like having Guidance, Healing word, and Bless are great. Sorry Arcane Charge. As much as I would adore smacking a bunch of people and teleporting 30 feet in the air and fireballing them at disadvantage, your value is limited.

16-20: Speaks for itself, getting more cleric levels allows me to just use my spells more often and gives me more options. Upcasting counterspell, spirit guardians, spirit shroud, aid all seem like a good use of the higher level slots. I also was considering spiritual weapon as a good option for my 2nd level slots and weaponizing my bonus action more reliably. Downside is my wisdom won't be super great for all these spells. Then as a nice capstone to make up for losing 4th attack I can break the game with Protective Bond. Overall the increase in my options/ utility is just very potent and I think it creates a more dynamic, and versatile character.

A Brief Review of What we Lose in Exchange:

1-2 ASI

Arcane Charge :(

5-6 hitpoints, slightly worst hit dice, and a slightly worst second wind.

2nd action surge is the first huge blow we get. 3rd indomitable is nice too

Improved war magic is pretty underwhelming Imo

4th level wizard spells known is also a sizeable hit as well, though it comes very late. Sorry Dimension Door

4th Attack. Missing out on this hurts but it is a very long wait and we will be getting a lot of other nice things to compensate.

Thanks for reading this everyone. I'm more than willing to hear opinions on this setup

ImproperJustice
2022-01-24, 11:35 PM
Haste is boring.

Having played an Eldritch Knight to 15, I found Melf’s Minute Meteors to be a lot more fun.

1 attack from Haste (yawn) vs. shooting several tiny fireballs as a bonus action for a couple rounds is way more exciting IMO. Their also easier to aim than Fireball.

Arguablly Melf’s gives you 5 attacks a round w/ AOE added in letting you engage multiple targets at minimal risk to your allies.

Or you could be dull and take Fireball like most people and enjoy what it feels like to hit everyone in a 20’ radius with your 8d6 fire sword. Assuming everyone lines up in a perfect pattern for you to hit all of them, and none of your friends which doesn’t happen a whole lot.

Then action surge and do it again.

Also, Counterspell is a waste for an EK.
At level 13 people are throwing nastier stuff than your likely to block and your allies are gonna be better at counterspells than you.

If your gonna multi, I think you should do Wizard.
1 for compatible casting type and rituals.
And two for getting a Staff of Power if and when one shows up in your campaign.
You can be just about untouchable at that point with Heavy Armor, Shield, and the staff. Then you can cast all manner of nonsense.

Chadironchest
2022-01-25, 12:20 AM
The logic behind packing counterspell is when our wizards counterspell gets counterspelled I can counterspell their counterspell. At the very least I force them to use a higher level slot

ImproperJustice
2022-01-25, 07:20 AM
Which sounds good, but it costs your third level spell slot.

That job should fall on someone else who has spells slots to spare.

But I am ignorant to your team dynamics and only offering opinions. That may be a more viable tactic for your party than it would have been for ours.

Pildion
2022-01-25, 08:11 AM
My current game is going very smoothly right now and our GM has expressed plans for reaching 20th level. I've been having a lot of fun with my EK so far but I have been heavily considering a cleric multiclass once I reach level 15.While late level fighter has some goodies, (pretty much just extra action surge/4th attack) I think I get more bang for my buck if I grab more caster levels, especially from a utility standpoint. I'll first detail my current setup/motivation behind my future levels.

Race: Vhuman

Scores: 8,18,14,14,14,8

Feats: Fey Touched (Hunter's Mark), War Caster, Mobile

Fighting Style: Defense (Probably plan on grabbing dueling once I get third attack)

So the crux of the build is going sword and board and being difficult to put down. Kiting around with mobile and causing harassment with booming blade. I tend to concentrate on blur or hunter's mark. It is very much worth noting that I had recently received a +2 finesse longsword that deals an extra 1d8 radiant on a hit so this is even stronger than shadow blade I think while freeing up my concentration. AC is sitting nice at 22 thanks to +1 mithril plate which is why I'm considering dueling while staying at a strong 21 AC. Anyways let's get to the levels.

11: No brainer. I definitely want third attack because I see this build as primarily a melee fighter and getting more attacks with my sword is very good.

12: I am highly considering getting resilient wisdom as our game has a fair bit of magic involved. Alternatively I can hold out on taking it and just max out my dex for an even more consistent and damaging weapon. Initiative is cool too.

13. This is where it gets good and why I stayed past 11. Haste is an absolute game changer for this build giving me 4 attacks a round when it is up while allowing my to be even harder to hit all while being able to move 80ft a round. Counterspell is also going to be incredibly useful. I would have to be sparing with it as my slots would probably be best used on haste, but having this in a world with spellcasters being a threat is very handy, and can lighten the burden on our abjuration wizard. 2nd indomitable is cool.

14. This is the level where I question whether or not it is better to begin the cleric levels. The extra ASI is very handy and assuming I went full cleric the rest of the game I'd be missing on two of the ASI that fighter would grant me. 4th level cleric spells are also nice but the 4th level list isn't the most impressive at a glance. At the very least getting the cleric train going sooner allows for more spell slots. Worth noting I also would be gaining an any-school spell this level.

15: If I didn't start cleric at 14 I would be starting it now. Assuming my GM allows it peace cleric seems like the best value I can get out of this dip. I particularly enjoy the flavor too. The first level alone does too much tbh. The bond makes me and the whole party better at offense, defense, and, skills. I also get a free proficiency in persuasion so my -1 charisma stops making me look stupid when I talk to people. Other neat things like having Guidance, Healing word, and Bless are great. Sorry Arcane Charge. As much as I would adore smacking a bunch of people and teleporting 30 feet in the air and fireballing them at disadvantage, your value is limited.

16-20: Speaks for itself, getting more cleric levels allows me to just use my spells more often and gives me more options. Upcasting counterspell, spirit guardians, spirit shroud, aid all seem like a good use of the higher level slots. I also was considering spiritual weapon as a good option for my 2nd level slots and weaponizing my bonus action more reliably. Downside is my wisdom won't be super great for all these spells. Then as a nice capstone to make up for losing 4th attack I can break the game with Protective Bond. Overall the increase in my options/ utility is just very potent and I think it creates a more dynamic, and versatile character.

A Brief Review of What we Lose in Exchange:

1-2 ASI

Arcane Charge :(

5-6 hitpoints, slightly worst hit dice, and a slightly worst second wind.

2nd action surge is the first huge blow we get. 3rd indomitable is nice too

Improved war magic is pretty underwhelming Imo

4th level wizard spells known is also a sizeable hit as well, though it comes very late. Sorry Dimension Door

4th Attack. Missing out on this hurts but it is a very long wait and we will be getting a lot of other nice things to compensate.

Thanks for reading this everyone. I'm more than willing to hear opinions on this setup

I would really go wizard multi not cleric. you can pick up more spell slots and higher level spells. go 12\8 EK\War wizard or Abjuration. Abjuration gets its PB with counter spell and dispel magic too.

nickl_2000
2022-01-25, 08:30 AM
I would really go wizard multi not cleric. you can pick up more spell slots and higher level spells. go 12\8 EK\War wizard or Abjuration. Abjuration gets its PB with counter spell and dispel magic too.

War Wizard is a really, really good multiclass I'm using it on my Arcane Trickster and I love it. The +4 to saves reaction makes up for the lower Wisdom saves that you have an would likely remove your need to take resilient Wisdom. Since you are a fighter, you don't need to worry about the arcane deflection only cantrip spells after using it.

In your case, I would go EK 12 to max out dex then take 2 levels WW for arcane deflection, then level 13 EK for 3rd level spells.

Urbanmech
2022-01-25, 04:12 PM
I think going into Wizard after level 12 is better than cleric. You get a wider array of useful spells and you get better ritual access. 8 levels of wizard will give you 4th level spells and slots of a 12th level caster. War Wizard, Abjurer, and Bladesinger stick out as good choices.

War Wizard gives Arcane Deflection to help your saves and an initiative bonus. Abjurer ward makes you as tough as if you just took fighter levels. Bladesinger 6th level ability does fun things with EK War Magic. Take your three attacks, one of them gets to be a cantrip, then get a bonus action additional attack because you cast a cantrip. Won’t come online till 18th level but still gives you a fourth attack before 20th.

Evaar
2022-01-25, 08:22 PM
It's very hard to argue that any dip is better for EK than the 2 levels it takes to get War Wizard. The reaction defense is amazing for your saving throws, and you improve your initiative (assuming you put anything into Intelligence), and it gives you access to some lower level Spells Known of any school which were severely limited by the EK factor. Not to mention that it helps your spell slots.

And you don't have to stop at 2. You can take it as far as you like to progress your spellcasting, though obviously at the cost of more Fighter features depending on the balance you want to strike. But anything from Fighter 18/Wizard 2 to Fighter 7/Wizard 13 I would see as a valid choice.

McSkrag
2022-01-26, 12:31 AM
War Wizard is a really, really good multiclass I'm using it on my Arcane Trickster and I love it. The +4 to saves reaction makes up for the lower Wisdom saves that you have an would likely remove your need to take resilient Wisdom. Since you are a fighter, you don't need to worry about the arcane deflection only cantrip spells after using it.

In your case, I would go EK 12 to max out dex then take 2 levels WW for arcane deflection, then level 13 EK for 3rd level spells.

This is the right answer.

After EK 13 / WW 2 you are best off going WW the rest of the way for a final EK 13 / WW 7 split. This gets you 4th level spells with 11th level caster spell slots.

Kane0
2022-01-26, 12:50 AM
I'd probably steer off after you get that ASI at 12 honestly. War Wiz is a great thematic and mechanic match for EK, but if youre definitely wanting Cleric and didnt want the cheese of Peace/Twilight domains I would suggest perhaps Forge, War or maybe Order

Syjyl4488
2022-01-27, 12:23 AM
I would honestly go with a 2 lvl dip in war wiz, since you’re only really giving up one asi n a 4th attack, and you gain more cantrips and first lvl spells n other rituals. This way you keep indomitable at 3x per lr, n action surge 2x per sr. For possible feats at 12,14, and 16, I would seriously consider shield master to boost your def n give you that sweet bonus action shove, if you want to invest in asi’s I recommend dex and int (unless you acquire a headband of intellect). Other feats might be fighting initiate (for that 10’ blindsight radius or defense). Your call tho.