PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Troll blood... not a drink for the faint-hearted.

dehro
2022-01-25, 02:01 PM
context:

I am running a full low level party (6 people when nobody is missing), who have a druid ally who is cursed by lycanthropy.
To get rid of it, he needs troll blood as a base ingredient for a cure.
He has asked the party to go fetch some of said blood.
Before this, for in game reasons, one of the party members, a bardbarian, was also freshly cursed with lycanthropy, even though it has not yet taken hold of him.
During the fight with the troll, said raging bardbarian has drank some of the troll's blood.

Now, he is going to have to drink from the potion the druid is making for himself (and now for him), to get rid of the lycan curse, but..

How do you envisage the extra helping of troll blood would throw a wrench in the process, if at all?
More in generic terms, what would you determine drinking troll's blood from the tap would do to a character, aside from the whole lycanthropy thing?

I do have a few ideas, like that this way the troll, who survived, is going to always have the scent of the bardbarian, and will resurface occasionally, to challenge the party.
But I am open to other fun ideas.

Mastikator
2022-01-25, 02:22 PM
Con save or poisoned condition (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Conditions#toc_10), while poisoned gain warts everywhere, also regenerate CON mod HP every turn while below half HP. New con save after every long rest to remove poisoned effect. Lesser restoration removes effect. The anti-werewolf potion also removes effect.

Imbalance
2022-01-25, 02:27 PM
Whenever he enters a public place where people are conversing, he will be compelled to rudely interject and provoke ire with vulgar insults for his own amusement. Each time this happens, his CHA will be reduced by one until he finishes a long rest. If this happens three or more times in the same city, the city guard will banish him for 2d10 days, during which he can only attempt to re-enter the city using a different name. If he gets caught, the banishment becomes permanent.

JonBeowulf
2022-01-25, 03:08 PM
Whenever he enters a public place where people are conversing, he will be compelled to rudely interject and provoke ire with vulgar insults for his own amusement. Each time this happens, his CHA will be reduced by one until he finishes a long rest. If this happens three or more times in the same city, the city guard will banish him for 2d10 days, during which he can only attempt to re-enter the city using a different name. If he gets caught, the banishment becomes permanent.

This, and people feel compelled to not feed him. Those that do are immediately subjected to further insults with no penalty to the troll.

Greywander
2022-01-25, 03:18 PM
If you want to run it as a boon, you could do regeneration-lite by allowing the barbarian to gain X temp HP at the start of each turn. This allows them to "regenerate" small amounts of damage, but essentially stops working when you stop taking damage. It would actually be a pretty good buff, especially for a barbarian who gets resistance while raging. You could also make it a temporary effect that wears off after a while.

If you want to run is as a curse, regeneration isn't dissimilar to something like cancer. Perhaps the troll (or a new one) is trying to regeneration by taking over the barbarian's body. As the curse progresses, more and more of the barbarian's body becomes replaced with troll tissue, which might make them stronger but they'll also die if their whole body is replaced. The question is how to cure it? You could cut out the pieces of troll flesh and cauterize the wounds, but that would likely leave the barbarian too disabled to continue adventuring. You could have some kind of battle of wills where the barbarian might be able to assert control over the troll and make the troll flesh their own, ending the curse and gaining a boon. A Greater Restoration might remove the troll tissue and restore the barbarian to their old self, too.

You could also do the simple thing. CON save or be poisoned for 1 minute. But you also regain X HP every round for 1 minute. 1 minute is 10 rounds, so however much HP is regained per round, the total HP regained will be 10x that much. Perhaps troll blood is pretty potent, so maybe regain 2 or 3 HP per round (20 or 30 HP total). That said, if anyone has access to poison immunity, or really high CON saves, this could turn troll blood into really nice healing potions.

Willie the Duck
2022-01-25, 03:19 PM
More in generic terms, what would you determine drinking troll's blood from the tap would do to a character, aside from the whole lycanthropy thing?

I would subvert expectations and make troll blood (other than having use in various magical concoctions) dangerous, but in completely mundane ways. Trolls are incredibly hardy, and as such often are vectors for all sorts of diseases they got off eating anything and everything (and anyone), but to which the trolls themselves are immune. Likewise, troll blood is highly rich in iron, vitamin A, and other things humans will get sick by overconsuming. Or maybe troll blood is incredibly high in fiber (somehow), and that kind of mundane repercussion might befall one who consumes it. It also may be carcinogenic, as it induces regeneration in cells of the consumer that were supposed to have undergone apoptosis.

Psyren
2022-01-25, 03:30 PM
To get rid of it, he needs troll blood as a base ingredient for a cure.
He has asked the party to go fetch some of said blood.
During the fight with the troll,

Brief aside, but I find it amusing that O-Chul was right once again (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html) :smalltongue:

JackPhoenix
2022-01-25, 05:01 PM
Constant, rapid cellular (re)growth? Sounds like recipe for cancer.

Magicspook
2022-01-26, 01:25 AM
I don't get why people here are suggesting to give the barbarian regeneration? The troll blood regenerates a troll, not the barbarian who ate it. This is not a 'you are what you eat' situation.

I think a more thematic fit would be to roll for each limb individually to see if the troll blood manages to 'regrow' it into a troll limb. But seeing as they are already afflicted by a tranforming curse, I'm not sure how these would interact. Maybe the lucanthropy curse would restore the original limbs, and you'd have to reroll every time you shapeshifted back?

Dualight
2022-01-26, 04:59 AM
Troll regeneration shuts down when exposed to acid, and the human body is acidic, so I'd say it depends; how acidic does something need to be to shut it down? If saliva is acidic enough, then nothing happens, other than what is probably a vomit-inducingly disgusting taste in the mouth and an upset stomach. If only stomach acid is enough, a troll might try to regrow out of the droplets that did not make it to the stomach. One upside, the barbarian will never truly go hungry again, but will have to chew every now and again. IF not even stomach acid is strong enough, then that's a recipe for a troll in the stomach(probably not a pleasant way to go).
Of course, the above assumes that trolls can regen from the smallest bits, including droplets of blood. If troll regeneration in your world isn't as extreme, it is probably appropriate to simply provoke a response of the barbarian's body to having ingested something indigestible.
The troll nemesis sounds like a solid idea, as well.
Perhaps, since the barbarian has already been exposed to troll blood, they might have become allergic, so now the potion causes the barbarian to feel itchy for a solid week, even as it works. Make the fall-out roleplay only, make things memorable, if insignificant.
That's my take on the situation, at least. Hopefully you have some use for it.

Willie the Duck
2022-01-26, 08:32 AM
I don't get why people here are suggesting to give the barbarian regeneration?
It's called conjecture, which is exactly with what we've been tasked.

The troll blood regenerates a troll, not the barbarian who ate it. This is not a 'you are what you eat' situation.
It is if the OP finds it amusing.

da newt
2022-01-26, 08:45 AM
Every injury heals ugly - discolored, warty, bigger. As the PC get's injured and heals (as per normal mechanics) they slowly become more and more Troll-ish. Upon reaching DM determined milestones the PC loses 1 CHA and gains 1 ST or CON. As they become more Troll-ish they also develop a funky BO.

Burley
2022-01-26, 09:00 AM
Other that OotS, is there canon or an entry in a book that describes the effects of troll blood on non-trolls? If we're all making it up as we go, that's cool. Just wanting to know if there's a jumping off point that we're working from.

As said above, barbarians exist under the concept that they deal damage and take damage, so giving a barbarian active regen or temp HP would mitigate the downside of that trade.

Since the barbarian only got a few drops in their mouth rather than chugging at the aorta like an elementary school fountain, the effect should be less noticeable. I'd suggest, when spending HD to heal, they can add twice their CON modifier to the HP healed. It's a benefit, it won't come up too often, but the Barbarian will remember it each time and probably brag about the extra 3 HP they get.

JackPhoenix
2022-01-26, 09:04 AM
Troll regeneration shuts down when exposed to acid, and the human body is acidic, so I'd say it depends; how acidic does something need to be to shut it down?

Acidic enough to cause acid damage. Now, last time I've checked, humans couldn't do acid damage by spitting on someone....

Burley
2022-01-26, 09:12 AM
If you want to run is as a curse, regeneration isn't dissimilar to something like cancer. Perhaps the troll (or a new one) is trying to regeneration by taking over the barbarian's body. As the curse progresses, more and more of the barbarian's body becomes replaced with troll tissue, which might make them stronger but they'll also die if their whole body is replaced. The question is how to cure it? You could cut out the pieces of troll flesh and cauterize the wounds, but that would likely leave the barbarian too disabled to continue adventuring. You could have some kind of battle of wills where the barbarian might be able to assert control over the troll and make the troll flesh their own, ending the curse and gaining a boon. A Greater Restoration might remove the troll tissue and restore the barbarian to their old self, too.

To be analogous to chemo- and radiation therapy, they'd probably need to go through several rounds of drinking acid potions to inhibit the regeneration while blasting the effected areas with radiant damage. (Not trying to make a joke.)

False God
2022-01-26, 09:46 AM
So, the Barbarian needs to drink the other part of the potion RIGHT NOW right? Like, that troll blood ain't gonna just sit in his belly until he drinks the rest of the sauce. I'd definitely argue for some kind of "this is bad". No boon, no benefits, just "you're horribly ill until you drink the rest of the potion".

Otherwise if the effects linger:
Obviously the troll blood is used in the potion because, as blood from a magical being, interacts with the magical nature of the lycanthropy curse.
So, I would argue, without the rest of the potion, the troll blood basically activates the curse. Causing, instead of a sudden under-the-moon change a slow transformation into the beast. Gets hairer, claws, pointed ears, so on until the full thing takes over, at which point the potion will no longer work (because he did it the wrong way).

Add in some hidden warning label to the back of the potion "don't drink the troll blood seperately from the potion".

KorvinStarmast
2022-01-26, 09:59 AM
Every injury heals ugly - discolored, warty, bigger. As the PC get's injured and heals (as per normal mechanics) they slowly become more and more Troll-ish. Upon reaching DM determined milestones the PC loses 1 CHA and gains 1 ST or CON. As they become more Troll-ish they also develop a funky BO. This is not a bad idea if one wants to run with this.

Other that OotS, is there canon or an entry in a book that describes the effects of troll blood on non-trolls? "Canon" is over estimated as a useful classification. :smallyuk: Which edition are you referring to?

So, the Barbarian needs to drink the other part of the potion RIGHT NOW right? Like, that troll blood ain't gonna just sit in his belly until he drinks the rest of the sauce. I'd definitely argue for some kind of "this is bad". No boon, no benefits, just "you're horribly ill until you drink the rest of the potion". I'll take that as a "no" vote on the homeopathic troll blood treatment scheme. :smallsmile:

Add in some hidden warning label to the back of the potion "don't drink the troll blood seperately from the potion".
One can head to the DMG, of this edition or previous ones, and consider the miscibility of potions in general. Sometimes, there are unintended outcomes. The table in the DMG allows for some strange side effects.

Yakk
2022-01-26, 10:07 AM
I like poisoned and the temp HP. I also like "it is regrowing a troll".

So
* Each morning make a con save with increasing DC 15+disease level/2.
* On a failure, you become poisoned that day, and the disease gains 4 levels.
* At the start of your turn while poisoned, you gain temporary HP equal to 1/2 level of the disease.
* If you take damage to your temporary HP, your disease gains a level. It can gain up to 4 levels per day this way.

Disease level 10:
* Wounds heal as hard green tissue; you gain 1 point of natural armor for every 10 levels of disease (max 4). Overnight, 50% of your skin falls off and becomes green.
Level 15:
* A hand falls off and regrows as a claw. It does 2d6 piercing damage.
Level 20:
* Half of your face falls off and regrows. You get a 1d6 bite attack (bonus action) and keen smell. Disease no longer limited in levels gained from damage.
Level 25:
* Make a DC (disease level/2) save each round to avoid clawing at yourself. On a success, you don't have to make a save for an hour, so long as you concentrate on it. You have disadvantage on this save if you are asleep.
Level 30:
* Your max HP is reduced by 1/2 of your disease level (ie, your temporary HP). Whenever you take damage, your disease level is immediately increased by the damage you take.

When your max HP is reduced to 0, you die and become a troll. What is left of your body is scraps, and you can only be raised via true resurrection.

If an attempt is made to cure this disease via an ability like "lessor restoration", roll 1d20: if the result is at or under the disease level, the spell "cures" the growing troll of you, not the other way around, causing the disease level to double.

There may be a way to halt the progress or cure this once it passes level 20. But by level 20, most of your biology is troll.

Bit of body horror, eh?

Naturally this only works if the blood is from a dead troll. Trollish regeneration magic finds the most viable part of the troll, and the blood in a living being is a great place to incubate.

Burley
2022-01-26, 10:14 AM
"Canon" is over estimated as a useful classification. :smallyuk: Which edition are you referring to?

I guess, any edition? Is there a somewhere, that can be referenced as a D&D source, that describes the uses and/or effects of troll's blood outside their own physiology?
Their blood could just have strong coagulating agents to quickly seal wounds, in which case, outside the body, it quickly clots into anything from scab to a spreadable paste for toast. Or, it could have magical properties and be a base for healing potions.
Heck, it could be that the troll's regeneration is in their skin. Or, maybe it starts in the troll's larger-than-average pituitary gland, released into the blood during stressful situations.

Unoriginal
2022-01-26, 03:53 PM
I guess, any edition? Is there a somewhere, that can be referenced as a D&D source, that describes the uses and/or effects of troll's blood outside their own physiology?

Not exactly troll blood, but Rime of the Frostmaiden

describes what happens when you eat a fresh Ice Troll's heart.

JackPhoenix
2022-01-26, 03:59 PM
Not exactly troll blood, but Rime of the Frostmaiden

describes what happens when you eat a fresh Ice Troll's heart.

VGtM has a Frost Giant Everlasting One, result of what happens when a frost giant eats a troll. The results are not pretty, though divine blessing (and/or curse) is involved.

Unoriginal
2022-01-26, 04:31 PM
VGtM has a Frost Giant Everlasting One, result of what happens when a frost giant eats a troll. The results are not pretty, though divine blessing (and/or curse) is involved.

True, I had forgotten about them.

EDIT:

And Dire Trolls are what happen when a Troll eats another Troll.

dehro
2022-01-26, 06:15 PM
of all the ideas, I like the one where the bardbarian heals from grave wounds and his wounds heal ugly the most.
it's subtle enough to needing to be noticed, and it's long term enough that the full potential damage this brings won't come into play for several sessions at least, which will come back to bite him nicely in the ass sometimes down the line...plus I guess it not being a rapid thing gives him time to explore the world for a cure against his own stupidity.
I was going to give him a pass and handwave the act away through giving him the healing potion for the lycanthropy.. but this is better.
thank you all

Grim Portent
2022-01-26, 07:44 PM
Nighttime visions sent by Vaprak, Kostchtchie or a similar god-like entity or demon lord associated with evil giantkin like trolls, compelling the barbarian to acts of cannibalism. If he embraces these visions then he will be given an offer by the fell god. Through consuming the blood of a troll fresh and raw, deliberately or not, he has taken the first step to becoming a champion of Vaprak or another such god of evil giantkin, with further steps being to actually worship the god in question, and to consume the raw flesh and bones of a troll.

If he accepts, then the troll returns to him, and offers itself to be consumed by the barbarian in it's entirety, giving him regeneration and making him a champion of the evil giantkin just like a Frost Giant Everlasting One. This process would probably take a while and be quite unpleasant for all involved.

If he refuses the troll is sent to hunt him down and seek vengeance with the aid of cultists, like ogres and ettin, who worship the same being.

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-27, 12:13 AM
All scars for the conceivable future heal back green. Tons of thin, faint green lines. He heals a little extra during long rests though. Also, you coukd browse through the old 3.5 stuff. Im pretty sure I read something about troll blood in one of them