PDA

View Full Version : Racial HD question ...

orlondok
2022-01-25, 05:52 PM
Does the racial HD of a creature cause a character to have an experience penalty?

Example: Minotaur (7 HD) takes a level of Fighter (1 HD and Not the favored class of a minotaur)

would the 7 HD and the 1 level of fighter mean that the levels are more than 1 apart and therefore a penalty for any gained experience from there would happen ?

I am thinking no ... but I was trying to find a place in the rules that it told this ... anyone know ?

Rijan_Sai
2022-01-25, 07:39 PM
Does the racial HD of a creature cause a character to have an experience penalty?

Example: Minotaur (7 HD) takes a level of Fighter (1 HD and Not the favored class of a minotaur)

would the 7 HD and the 1 level of fighter mean that the levels are more than 1 apart and therefore a penalty for any gained experience from there would happen ?

I am thinking no ... but I was trying to find a place in the rules that it told this ... anyone know ?

I don't know 100%, but I would think not... if nothing else, a monsters RHD would (or at least "should") always be a "favored class," in addition to any others (if at all...)

Saintheart
2022-01-25, 07:40 PM
SRD on Improving Monsters:

If a creature acquires a character class, it follows the rules for multiclass characters.

The creature’s Hit Dice equal the number of class levels it has plus its racial Hit Dice. A creature’s "monster class" is always a favored class, and the creature never takes XP penalties for having it.

So, no. The RHD are the "monster class".