PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Orc swashbuckler/hexblade worshiper of Shargaas build.

Oontarg
2022-01-26, 10:11 AM
I had a Build in mind for a orc swashbuckler/hexblade devoted to the orc god Shargaas and was wondering if this fine community could give me some pointers. Any help appreciated.

So we start off with 3 levels of rogue, choosing swashbuckler to get "fancy footwork". Expertise, stealth and thief tools.
Then two levels in hexblade. Get "pact of the blade". Cantrips, booming blade and eldritch blast. Also pick up devils sight (for Shargaas flavor).

The plan to attack is to use hexblade curse and eldritch blast the first turn then next turn to use the "aggressive(orc racial trait)" to move up 30ft. Cast booming blade. Then retreat 30ft, and hope the enemy follows into fellow adventurers threatened squares. Then keep moving up with "aggressive" casting booming blade and retreating until the cursed target is dead. Then pick new target and repeat.

I don't know what my spells should be, or what other eldritch invocations I should use. I was thinking about takin more levels in hexblade so I can cast darkness(for more Shargaas flavor) and be able to see in it with "devils sight". But that hurts my swashbuckler sneak attack so I am not sure.

What should I do after level 5?

Bobthewizard
2022-01-26, 10:44 AM
It's a good strategy, but you don't need to be an orc. Any swashbuckler with booming blade can do this since cunning action lets you BA dash. Aggressive is just a limited dash.

As far as warlock/rogue, I like warlock 5 for 3rd level spells rogue 3 for swashbuckler. Then go further in one or the other.

Pildion
2022-01-26, 11:06 AM
I had a Build in mind for a orc swashbuckler/hexblade devoted to the orc god Shargaas and was wondering if this fine community could give me some pointers. Any help appreciated.

So we start off with 3 levels of rogue, choosing swashbuckler to get "fancy footwork". Expertise, stealth and thief tools.
Then two levels in hexblade. Get "pact of the blade". Cantrips, booming blade and eldritch blast. Also pick up devils sight (for Shargaas flavor).

The plan to attack is to use hexblade curse and eldritch blast the first turn then next turn to use the "aggressive(orc racial trait)" to move up 30ft. Cast booming blade. Then retreat 30ft, and hope the enemy follows into fellow adventurers threatened squares. Then keep moving up with "aggressive" casting booming blade and retreating until the cursed target is dead. Then pick new target and repeat.

I don't know what my spells should be, or what other eldritch invocations I should use. I was thinking about takin more levels in hexblade so I can cast darkness(for more Shargaas flavor) and be able to see in it with "devils sight". But that hurts my swashbuckler sneak attack so I am not sure.

What should I do after level 5?

You need HexBlade 3 for pact of the blade. I would also recommend going Cha based with this character, so start with hexblade>3>rogue3>X. Your stats are only 14 Dex, max Cha, you have halfplate with Sword + Shield.

You can really go with Hex3 or Hex5, you lose some sneak attack damage and Master Duelist, but get Extra attack, 3rd level slots and another invocation. Ether build is fine.

Dualight
2022-01-26, 11:07 AM
Will you prioritise Charisma or Dexterity? If you focus Charisma, you'll want to have Hexblade 1 ASAP. If you focus Dex, it doesn't matter when you take your warlock levels. Do you want to be a rogue with warlock tricks? Then focus rogue, and stop warlock at 3. If you want to be warlock with rogue tricks, then stop after rogue 3 or 4(depending on how many ASIs your build wants).
Really, it depends a lot on the details of your character.
What parts of the build are vital to the narrative of the concept, and which are chosen due to mechanical considerations?
Also, as you have already noticed, Hexblade's Curse competes with your mobility. If a non-hexblade patron can fit your narrative, it might be worth it to look for alternatives(I can't offer concrete suggestions due to not being familiar enough with warlocks), assuming Hexblade's Curse is why you are going for Hexblade, ignore tyhis bit if it is something else that draws you to Hexblade).
Still, Swashbuckler is the easiest rogue to multiclass with Charisma casters due to both sides of the multiclass liking Charisma, so you can't really go wrong there as long as you understand your role (both in and out of combat).