PDA

View Full Version : Battlesorlock

adb82
2022-01-26, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,
i was thinking about this character from a while, it is far from be a very optimized build, but i hope it is enjoyable as well and not too underwhelming.

Battle Master 4/Hexblade 5/Divine Soul x (Fighter 1/Sorcerer 1/Hexblade 5/DS 4/BM 3/DS x)

An Half elf, rolled stats including racial bonuses are: 11 str, 14 dex, 16 con, 12 int, 14 wis, 17 cha
Medium armors, as fighting style i would choose blindfighting, invocations are eldricht mind, improved pact weapon, thirsting blade. The manuvers would be trip attack (or feint attack), elusive footwork and riposte (or brace)

Feats: Elven accuracy @6, GWM @10, +2 CHA @14...whatever else, Lucky maybe.

Cantrips: Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Eldricht Blast, Blade Ward, the rest it's about flavor.

Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Armor of Agathys (spell to quicken), Hex (Early lv and in easier fights + social), Protection from evil and good (against anything that frighten, possess or whatever else it protect from), Mirror Image (spell to quicken), Summon Fey (trickery) (at lv 7), Intellect Fortress (at lv 7), Command (lv 8 ) (spell to quicken for OA), Spiritual Weapon (lv 9), Catnap (lv 11), Spirit Guardians (against hordes) (at lv 11), Guardian of Faith (at lv16) (spell to quicken), Erupting Earth (spell to quicken) (lv 17) Synaptic Static (spell to quicken) (at lv 18), Freedom of Movement (at lv 19), Planar Ally (lv 20). I changed some spell during the path that you can't see listed here (Invisibility for exemple) as it's utility gonna become much less adding lv and there are probably better spells to get.

Metamagic: Quickened and Extended.

I thought to get (especially early lv) only spells with a long duration that eventually can be extended, for try to mitigate the warlock's lack of slots, Summon Fey seem a nice way to get easy advantage and give disadvantage to hit me (thanks to blindfighting style), plus add some damage or chances to flanking (we play with flanking rules) with enemies with blindsight and similar, and i can even give him potions for take care of himself. The one that basically he do is create darkness on the charcacter 5 ft tile, attack, than go through the darkness (as You can move through a nonhostile creature's space, as long as you don't willingly end your move in its space, and he will not end its movement on any occupied space) and go far without get OA. Spiritual Weapon is a nice add with a bonus action and only a 2nd lv slots, Catnap becouse it have lots of short rest resources, Guardian of Faith and Synaptic static for have some spell to quick without concentration, the rest is kinda obvius.

Considering im building this as a martial character (from lv 10 with a Greatsword) with spells as combat's utilities (indeed it don't go over 3rd lv spells for long), so he gets mostly of the damage in melee, with some boost with long concentration spells (extended when it's possible) and occasionally quicken something, while SW will get often its bonus action, and getting versatility (in combat) choosing between different concentration spells and quickening AoA sometimes or a BB attack, do you think is something viable? Good? Not viable?

If you have any suggestion to make it more effective, of course, you are welcome.

PS my campaign starts at lv 5.

adb82
2022-02-03, 11:09 AM
I changed this build, getting much more lv of hexblade and much less of sorcerer, i think it would work better, but let's see.

Elf custom origin HB 12/BM 4/DS 4 getting pact of the blade. Starting Fighter for the CON saves and getting blind fighting style (or defence as it gonna wear medium armors for better initiative and better saves on dex, but blind fighting style let me choose some other cool invocation instead than devil's sight), than 5 lv of Hexblade for 3rd lv spells, extra attack, eldricht mind, improved pact weapon, hex warrior and 2 very important spells like Hex and Armor of Agathys (in this way till lv 7 he will almost never use the shield spell, but my campaign starts at lv 5 so probably it's not a big deal for me). Here we gonna add 4 lv of DS for get metamagic and spiritual weapon (also Aid and Warding Bond are very nice spells) for a good use of our Bonus Action, we also add some slots for have much more shield spell casted during battle and from lv 8th we can start to use metamagic for create more slots after a long rest of 4 hours (using the other 4 hours of the party's resting time for create temporary slots and get 4 short rest more), lv 9 gives us 2nd lv DS spells and lv 10 a feat. At this point we gonna add 3 lv more of Battle Master, for get action surge, manuvers that recharges also with short rest and other asi, than all in for the Hexblade till lv 12 where we get lifedrinker (Fighter 1/Hexblade 5/ Divine Soul 4/Battle Master 3/Hexblade 7).

Asi's should be Elven accuracy +1 CHA @5, +2 CHA @10, GWM @13, Lucky @17 (or whatever give us +1 wis, but i beliebe Lucky is better)
Stats are rolled and should be 11 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 12 INT, 13 WIS, 17 CHA (including already racial bonuses, and i choose, with tasha's custom origin, an elf with +2 CHA and +1 CON). Can be done with point buy anyway with 8 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 11 wis, 17 cha.

Which do you think works better?

XmonkTad
2022-02-05, 10:56 AM
So this is the ultimate evolution of the no-dip battle sorcerer? It looks perfectly serviceable, and starting fighter for CON saves and good proficiencies is likely the way to go. Are you really going to be using GWM that much if your main attack is either BB or GFB? I'm not sure the average DPR is actually better if you -5/+10 attack with a weapon cantrip.