PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feat for an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer

Clow
2022-01-26, 11:05 PM
Okay, SO, I'm playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer in the tower of the mad mage, if it matters, though no heavy spoilers on that. We're starting at level 5, my casting is at 18, but I think I'd rather do a feat, the first two that come to mind is Eldritch Adapt for constant Mage Armor or the classic war caster. Dex is currently 12, and Con is 16, but those could be switched. Of course, next level, level six, sorcery points become an even trade, and that opens up some interesting doors.

The thing I'm really pondering, is, is mage armor worth it to get a 14 AC? For reactions, I will have access to shields, and shields will be especially cheap as the game goes on. I'm also looking at Silvery Barbs to help support, so my reaction will be something to ponder for certain. But I think we all know the value of a high con + Con Save Prof + Advantage to maintaining a spell.

So I'm kinda wanting thoughts, as I'm hedging if maybe Con and Dex should be switched, and which feat to go for, 14 AC with 19 on a reaction, vs 16 AC and 21 on a reaction, plus the extra heath to consider. I prefer to lean into what a class does really uniquely, so it's why both are tempting, pretty much NO caster can maintain concentration better than a Sorcerer with War Caster, but the Aberrant Mind does some very unique things with it's sorcery points, basically turning spell slots into super flexible Mana Points, with the bonus of not having to scream and wave your arms with your wand, screaming to the enemy what you're about.

Also, if it matters, the DM is letting me re-flavor an Emerald Gem Dragonborn for my race which gives me flight options.

I'm actually really looking forward to playing the character in general, the re-flavoring is for an Ilithid, and the DM's letting me use Int instead of Cha for casting (Most would call it a lesser stat than Cha anyway, I wouldn't care either way, but he's portrayed as a bit of a philosopher, which doesn't mesh as well with Cha, I originally envisioned him as a wizard) But I can't help but feel torn in which direction to take the stat/feat. If anyone has any insight, I look forward to hearing it!

Kane0
2022-01-26, 11:17 PM
Would ritual caster be a good pick with your party?
Otherwise metamagic adept would be a great way to double down on your shtick.

Melphizard
2022-01-26, 11:32 PM

I agree with both. Ritual caster is really helpful to have around since it's a multi-use glove that provides amazing reconnaissance. Metamagic adept is amazing because it gives you two more sorcery points. If WoTC remembered monks existed and gave them a feat that gave them two more Ki, they'd probably also want it. May I also suggest just getting your Spellcasting stat to 20? It's typically the best route to get your most used attribute to 20 first thing first (with exceptions being when you're doing GWM, PAM, ect).

ThaddeusJenkins
2022-01-27, 04:07 AM
I've been playing an Aberrant Mind for my current campaign at level 6, and i ended up picking up Fey-Touched (With Charm Person as my free spell).

Can't comment on it being meta by any stretch, but I had an odd stat to boost, and a free teleport has meant i'm rarely stuck in a bad position. I love how many almost-free spells you get as AM (with Psionic Sorcery) so piling more on is pretty sweet.

Clow
2022-01-27, 02:39 PM

Well, the DM's letting us be a little whackier with this run, so the other 3 players are playing homebrew, one is Necromancer class, which I think has ritual casting on par with the wizard, so I'm not sure if it's needed. and while more Metamagic is always good, as are more points, I'm not sure how valuable 2 extra points are, when you get to be SO flexible with your point use, the only risk is having your bonus action tied up from time to time. I mean, subtle spell is built into the Aberrant mind, Twin and Quickened are, as we know, always good, and I'm not sure any of the other choices are worth really digging for, but I'll take it under consideration for sure.

I agree with both. Ritual caster is really helpful to have around since it's a multi-use glove that provides amazing reconnaissance. Metamagic adept is amazing because it gives you two more sorcery points. If WoTC remembered monks existed and gave them a feat that gave them two more Ki, they'd probably also want it. May I also suggest just getting your Spellcasting stat to 20? It's typically the best route to get your most used attribute to 20 first thing first (with exceptions being when you're doing GWM, PAM, ect).

I mean, I have considered it, but the 20 just seems the most boring, I mean it's a boost to hit, and to prevent saves, but I suppose increasing my liveability by doing something about the 11 AC, or sure up my concentration seemed more valuable. I admit, it's not the worse problem to have, the Aberrant Mind is one of the most flexible Sorcerer's around, making choices even hard then the wizard, even with the ten total extra spells, it can hardly feel like enough.

I've been playing an Aberrant Mind for my current campaign at level 6, and i ended up picking up Fey-Touched (With Charm Person as my free spell).

Can't comment on it being meta by any stretch, but I had an odd stat to boost, and a free teleport has meant i'm rarely stuck in a bad position. I love how many almost-free spells you get as AM (with Psionic Sorcery) so piling more on is pretty sweet.

It IS a good half feat for sure, though it also feel like just saying "Well when I bring up my casting stat to 20, I can invest in another stat. If I had more uneven stats worth investing in I'd prolly consider it, but I agree that having misty step in your back pocket is NEVER bad to have, speshly sense you don't have to hoard you level 2 spell slots in fear of having to upcast it to get out of trouble, which of course NOBODY likes doing.

Some interesting thoughts, though with my indecisive personality it might muddy the waters further, of course, if anyone has follow-ups on their points, I'm glad to hear them. Most people don't seem super worried about the dreadful 11 base AC as I've got him built now. Suppose it's weird for me, because the one wizard I play, roll wise, was a Kobold, and STARTED with max dex. So I've never really HAD a character with like, under a 14 at least, and it worries me a bit. Besides likeing having Armor of Shadow's on call with Eldritch adept, I also like the option, that if I manage some nice robes at higher levels that actually GIVE AC, or a free mage armor, I've seen those too from time to time, I can trade it out, if nothing else, for the Invocation that gives the BEST part of War caster.

Segev
2022-01-27, 03:25 PM
There's always Telekinetic. You've already got a number of component-free spells to cast; adding mage hand to that list, and making it invisible, and potentially doubling its range if you already know it as a cantrip before you get the feat, while also letting you add that +1 to Charisma, could be really thematic.

Chaos Jackal
2022-01-27, 03:30 PM
I'll second Metamagic Adept, the boost is noticeable, especially in tier 1/tier 2 where you have few sorcery points.

Otherwise, Alert is a universally good feat and a caster standard.

You can also double up on half feats for your casting stat (Fey/Shadow Touched, Telekinetic, Telepathic and possibly Skill Expert) if you want to max your main stat alongside some extra spells known by lv8. Aberrant Mind isn't as starved for spells as older sorcerer subclasses thanks to the extra ten it gains, but more spells known are always appreciated. You can also make up and go over for learning and casting mage armor on your own like that too.

Personally, I'd go for the double half feat option. You'll gain 2-4 extra spells which can also be cast for free once per long rest, so mage armor is less of a tax and your AC concerns are alleviated. With Fey Touched you also gain access to gift of alacrity, normally unavailable to you even through Psionic Spells, which gets you, on average, an initiative bonus almost on par with Alert. And you can forgo a couple spells for some Expertise if Skill Expert is more to your liking. All that while still getting your casting stat to 20 by lv8.

Clow
2022-01-28, 01:43 AM
There's always Telekinetic. You've already got a number of component-free spells to cast; adding mage hand to that list, and making it invisible, and potentially doubling its range if you already know it as a cantrip before you get the feat, while also letting you add that +1 to Charisma, could be really thematic.

Ya know, I hadn't considered that, that really is a pretty suitable little feat, granted, the DM is letting me Homebrew to use Int instead of Cha, but the same still applies.

I'll second Metamagic Adept, the boost is noticeable, especially in tier 1/tier 2 where you have few sorcery points.

Otherwise, Alert a universally good feat and a caster standard.

You can also double up on half feats for your casting stat (Fey/Shadow Touched, Telekinetic, Telepathic and possibly Skill Expert) if you want to max your main stat alongside some extra spells known by lv8. Aberrant Mind isn't as starved for spells as older sorcerer subclasses thanks to the extra ten it gains, but more spells knowm are always appreciated. You can also nake up and go over for learning and casting mage armor on your own like that too.

Personally, I'd go for the double half feat option. You'll gain 2-4 extra spells which can also be cast for free once per long rest, so mage armor is less of a tax and your AC concerns are alleviated. With Fey Touched you also gain access to gift of alacrity, normally unavailable to you even through Psionic Spells, which gets you, on average, an initiative bonus almost on par with Alert. And you can forgo a couple spells for some Expertise if Skill Expert is more to your liking. All that while still getting your casting stat to 20 by lv8.

Now this is the kinda phrasing I didn't think of. Granted, I heard Mad Mage can be a bit rough, so he may die before he can get to level 8 for all I know, but using Fey Touched as a means to take a spell off the burden of those known while increasing the state make a lot of sense, and Telekenis is not only fitting, but a good use of a bonus action when not converting spells to sorcery points, but of control in a way. I find it funny that I started out pondering War Caster vs Eldritch Adapet, and now I'm pondering Fey Touched vs Telekinetic. Gift of Alacrity will especially be a bone at level six, with the burning of 4 Sorc points, which can be regained with a level 3 and level 1 slot burn, the whole party of 4 can just have that, or the person that needs to go first the most can have it for the entire days of combat. If I ever played with an assassin I'd prolly have to help them with that constantly. I may have to roll with that spell, as I like the idea of being a more support sorc.

Now I just need to be sure of where the 12 and 16 better fit into this build when it comes to Dex and Con. In one level, Sorc points become even, so Shield, as a spell becomes rather cheap, being able to recycle a level 3 spell slot, into 3 castings of the shield can be crazy in the right circumstances. And while my first thought was "Higher Con, bet con checks." And Sorcs are really good at those, and I have the urge to lean into that, but an Aberrant Mind can really take advantage of the amazing level one spells you keep throughout the whole game, like Shield and Absorb Elements.

Kane0
2022-01-28, 01:52 AM
Fey touched and telekinetic are both half feats to which is great if you want both. Id really only pick Tele over Fey if you or your party members are set up to make good use of the BA movement, either dragging/dumping enemies into hazards or frequently pulling around friendlies into position.

Chaos Jackal
2022-01-28, 03:46 AM
If you wanna go the two half-feat way, Fey Touched is definitely the best of the caster-oriented TCE feats, and the one I'd go for first. Misty step is just good, it will almost certainly prove useful every day, and getting it known for free alongside a free cast is huge for casters with limited spells known. Access to gift of alacrity is more than just icing too, an 8-hour initiative boost of, on average, 4.5, that takes no concentration and lasts for the duration rather than just for one roll is massive. Going first is extremely important for casters, and the free casting means that at least one person (probably you, but depends on the party) will always have it, and you can spread it around if you're willing to invest the slots, like you said. Just look around and see how highly people value the Oath of the Watchers' aura; that's what you're potentially bringing.

From the remaining, Telepathic is rather redundant on Aberrant Mind. Shadow Touched isn't bad; invisibility is useful and disguise self or silent image can have uses, though the selection is definitely not on par with that of Fey Touched. But still, extra spells known and extra casts too. It would probably be my second pick, though I'm not sure how useful the spells it offers will prove in the particular module; I know the gist of Mad Mage, but I'm not familiar with specific encounters and situations it puts you in (disguise self could ultimately prove useless, for example). There's also the issue of theme. There are players and DMs who'd frown at a character apparently influenced both from the fey and the Shadowfell, and while I'm definitely not against it and I believe it can be explained, potentially in an interesting way too, you'd best make sure it won't get you accusations of putting optimization over roleplaying.

Telekinetic definitely shines with teamwork. Pushing people back into difficult terrain or damaging ground effects created by your allies will maximize its usage, but it also has uses outside of that, like pushing enemies off ledges, giving yourself or your allies the ability to disengage without provoking by pushing enemies away or just waste turns from less mobile opponents. That 30ft-speed melee guy who can only run? Well, now he's 35ft away. No attack this turn. Plus, it's an always-on way of using your bonus action. An unfortunate downside to these, however, is that many enemies with limited mobility who tend to stick into your face are Str brute types who probably won't have too much trouble passing the save. Still, proficiency in Str saves isn't that common (though not rare either), even among creatures with higher Str, so you may get lucky. An invisible (and potentially with double range) mage hand is certainly good as well, though here I'll repeat what I said earlier about me not knowing the module; you may get little mileage out of it.

Finally, do not discount Skill Expert. On a limited spells known class like the sorcerer I'd definitely value getting more spells and free casts, but you may be fine with your selection and Aberrant Mind's boost, and depending on your party's composition and what rolls the module and the DM tend to call for Skill Expert can prove quite useful. Expertise in particular is excellent, and rounding out a stat isn't bad either.

Rav
2022-01-28, 03:13 PM
Telekinetic is great, and would be a solid option for bonus action use that doesn't get into your sorc points or slots to use. This could be good for your sorc especially since you'll be wanting to use your sorc points for casting spells directly instead of for metamagic. Burning them for quickened spells would be too costly for your aberrant mind. So non-consumable repeatable always available telekinetic shove? Pure win. If you pick up the new silvery barbs spell through your retrained psionic spells feature, because it is enchantment after all, you'll really wanna be burning sorc points abusing it all the time. So will have even less to power those metamagics.

Flavor wise: pushing people into place telekinetically and casting silvery barbs all the time certainly falls into this telepathic/telekinetic mastermind type who is subtle nudging the people and events around them into the right place at the right time to always get their way.

Clow
2022-01-29, 12:58 AM
I was noting that, yeah, I mean, otherwise the main use for the bonus action is converting slots to points. And while the flexibility of casting spells with points is amazing, I'm not completely discounting Metamagic, mostly just twinning though. Things like, twinning Haste, Tasha's Mind Whip, Disaneant Whispers, Gift of Acurity, maybe Enemies Abound in the right aspect. But I agree, quickened, while I'll prolly still take it just and case, is a rare back up. That's the thing, the Aberrant mind makes a lot of Meta needed. Subtle of course, but the points for casting are better than at least most Meta's in my mind, makes you casting flexible in a way no other class can really replicate. And yes, Silvery Barb has been on my mind, it's a strong spell, but a strong SUPPORT spell, which I feel get's more slack. The crazy thing has been switching up the learned spells, I'd usually see no reason to trade out Sending, but I just get the feeling it won't be very needed for this compain.

Telekinetic is great, and would be a solid option for bonus action use that doesn't get into your sorc points or slots to use. This could be good for your sorc especially since you'll be wanting to use your sorc points for casting spells directly instead of for metamagic. Burning them for quickened spells would be too costly for your aberrant mind. So non-consumable repeatable always available telekinetic shove? Pure win. If you pick up the new silvery barbs spell through your retrained psionic spells feature, because it is enchantment after all, you'll really wanna be burning sorc points abusing it all the time. So will have even less to power those metamagics.

Flavor wise: pushing people into place telekinetically and casting silvery barbs all the time certainly falls into this telepathic/telekinetic mastermind type who is subtle nudging the people and events around them into the right place at the right time to always get their way.

RingoBongo
2022-01-29, 06:26 PM
Warcaster!

1. You get advantage to con saves! Awesome hold on to that spell effect for longer.

2. Booming blade + quicken dissonant whispers + reaction warcaster booming blade (last one only if they fail the int save).

3. If you have access to proficiency with a shield somehow. +2 AC! +More with the possibility of finding a nice non attunement +x shield

4. Profit.

HPisBS
2022-01-30, 03:11 PM

The obvious problem with that is the fact that, unlike sorcerers, warlocks, and battlemasters, monks lack any optional powers they could attach to a feat that grants ki. (A non-monk who takes a feat that grants extra ki needs something to spend it on. Likewise, a monk who takes it needs an extra application for those points in order to make it equal.)

Ki Adept

You gain 2 ki points. (These points are added to any ki points you have from another source.) You regain all spent ki points whenever you finish a short or long rest.
Pick 2 of the following spells: Jump, Longstrider, Alter Self, Darkvision, or Enhance Ability. You may cast either of the chosen spells on yourself by spending a number of ki points equal to the spell's level. Whenever you reach a level that grants the Ability Score Improvement feature, you can replace one of your choices with another option on this list.

Kane0
2022-01-30, 04:10 PM
The obvious problem with that is the fact that, unlike sorcerers, warlocks, and battlemasters, monks lack any optional powers they could attach to a feat that grants ki. (A non-monk who takes a feat that grants extra ki needs something to spend it on. Likewise, a monk who takes it needs an extra application for those points in order to make it equal.)

Ki Adept

You gain 2 ki points. (These points are added to any ki points you have from another source.) You regain all spent ki points whenever you finish a short or long rest.
Pick 2 of the following spells: Jump, Longstrider, Alter Self, Darkvision, or Enhance Ability. You may spend 2 ki points to cast either of the chosen spells on yourself. Whenever you reach a level that grants the Ability Score Improvement feature, you can replace one of your choices with another option on this list.

Wasn't there a thread about that not too long ago? I think the settled solution was some Ki plus some or all of the level 2 Monk Ki powers and also throwing in Martial Arts die (upping the die size if you already have it)

HPisBS
2022-01-30, 04:56 PM
Wasn't there a thread about that not too long ago? I think the settled solution was some Ki plus some or all of the level 2 Monk Ki powers and also throwing in Martial Arts die (upping the die size if you already have it)

I repeat: Likewise, a monk who takes it needs an extra application for those points in order to make it equal.

Sorcerers, etc get extra options which they would otherwise lack to go with the extra resources. A ki feat should function similarly.

But back on topic, I'm rather partial to Telekinetic for an AM sorcerer. Aside from being on-theme, it's kinda like a free bonus action disengage -- so long as it's only against a single enemy and you beat its Str save.