PDA

View Full Version : Wizard build help

bignate
2007-11-21, 08:10 PM
hey all,

i need some help for a build i am working on. it is a bit sub optimal but i think it will be fun and i the point of this is to optimise him as well as i can without breaking the concept.

in a nutshell, i am working on a dwarf who was trained as a warrior but was told he had a natural talent for magic and was sent to magic school. he went and learned to be a wizard but refuses to give up his warrior nature.

i am working towards fighter 1/wizard 4/runesmith 5/eldritch knight 10(in that order) but that is mostly irrelevant at this moment.

the character is starting at 3rd level as fighter 1/wizard 2. i know i wont be able to take a level in runesmith until 6th but i would like to wear plate and use a shield from the very beginning...

...so what i need help with is finding a few decent 1st and 2nd level wizard spells without somatic components...

...to see me through to 6th.

phb, phb2, SC and all the complete books are allowed.

if any of you are curious the stats i am looking at are:

str: 12
dex: 12
con: 20
int: 17
wis: 10
cha: 8

Jannex
2007-11-21, 09:07 PM
Okay, I've just skimmed through the Spell Compendium, and here's what I've come up with for level 1-2 Wizard spells that don't require a somatic component. In the interest of completeness, I've included all of them that I found, even if some of them are a bit... conditional in use.

Baleful Transposition
Benign Transposition
Blades of Fire
Bladeweave
Critical Strike
Daggerspell Stance
Deep Breath
Delusions of Grandeur
Ectoplasmic Armor
Expeditious Retreat, Swift
Extend Tentacles (requires tentacles)
Fearsome Grapple (gives you tentacles)
Fly, Swift
Golem Strike (requires sneak attack)
Guided Shot
Insightful Feint
Low-Light Vision
Master's Touch
Razorfangs (requires natural weapon)
Scintillating Scales (requires natural armor)
Slide
Slide, Greater
Sonic Weapon
Wings of Air (requires target to have wings)

I might wander through the PHB and PHBII, while I'm at it...

PHB2!

Celerity, Lesser
Deflect, Lesser
Deflect
Dimension Hop
Energy Surge, Lesser
Master's Touch (which is, apparently, different than the SC Master's Touch; it affects skills, while the SC version affects weapon proficiency)
Stay the Hand
Stretch Weapon
Sure Strike

Armads
2007-11-22, 02:44 AM
True Strike doesn't have a somatic component.

Temp
2007-11-22, 02:28 PM
Since nobody's listed the PHB yet:
1--Feather Fall, Hold Portal, True Strike, Ventriloquism
2--Blindness/Deafness, Blur, Darkness, Knock

Chronos
2007-11-22, 02:30 PM
Another option would be non-combat or long-duration spells which you can take off your armor to cast, then put your armor back on. I'm not sure off the top of my head of any that would work at such a low caster level, though.

Temp
2007-11-22, 06:55 PM
Darkvision, False Life, Protection from Arrows and Spider Climb could work. Maybe more in the SpC or PHB2.

kemmotar
2007-11-22, 07:28 PM
Actually if you aren't bent on eldricht knight and don't mind losing a few spell levels you could go for spellsword. That way you don't need to use only non-somatic spells. You could also try beguiler with armored mage feat but i think that's not in your concept...If you do take spellsword(or if eldricht knight can use some armor without penalty[also take armored mage] you can use the nimblness property on your armor so you reduce a full plate to medium armor and reduce its ASF quite a bit...

Nonah_Me
2007-11-22, 07:46 PM
The Duskblade is perfect for this. If you're still hellbent on Wizard, then I suggest Ultimate Magus. Duskblade is PHB II, Ultimate Magus is Complete Mage, correct? I dun have that one.

Temp
2007-11-22, 09:36 PM
Actually if you aren't bent on eldricht knight and don't mind losing a few spell levels you could go for spellsword. That way you don't need to use only non-somatic spells. You could also try beguiler with armored mage feat but i think that's not in your concept...If you do take spellsword(or if eldricht knight can use some armor without penalty[also take armored mage] you can use the nimblness property on your armor so you reduce a full plate to medium armor and reduce its ASF quite a bit... Runesmith level 1 means he can cast in Full Plate with a Tower Shield with no problems. He gets this at level 6.

The Duskblade is perfect for this. If you're still hellbent on Wizard, then I suggest Ultimate Magus. Duskblade is PHB II, Ultimate Magus is Complete Mage, correct? I dun have that one.Neither Duskblade nor Ultimate Magus accomidate Wizard armored spellcasting. Wizard=>Runesmith casts better and has much better defenses than a Duskblade/Wizard can possibly generate.

Rad
2007-11-23, 03:30 AM
a mithral armor with the twilight enchantment can be made that has 0% ASF. However odds are that you'll not be allowed to have a peek at one befre level 6 anyway.

Manir
2007-11-23, 05:53 AM
a mithral armor with the twilight enchantment can be made that has 0% ASF. However odds are that you'll not be allowed to have a peek at one befre level 6 anyway.

Depends on the armor. A +1 Twilight Mithral Chainshirt will have an ASF of 0%, but a suit of +1 Twilight Mithral Fullplate would have and ASF of 15%.