PDA

View Full Version : Demonomicon - Ideas for who is trying to acquire it

smetzger
2022-01-28, 04:04 PM
So, running my son through 3.5 Cavern's of Tsojcanth.
Very old school dungeon crawl and he is running 5 characters.

Characters are evil and have been commissioned by a Succubus (they have a love/hate relationship with her) and he mother a Maralith to bring back a book from Tsojcanth.
Unbeknownst to them it is the Demonomicom.
Party consists of...
Drow Dread Necromancer
Kobold Druid
Githzerai Unchained Monk
Hoboblin Mystic Theurge
Troll Barbarian

Notable magic items and abilities:
Troll has Wave (can cast disintegrate) and Blackrazor(negative level damage on a hit)
Dread Necro has 3 vampire spawn under her control and a magic item that can create 1 shadow per day under her control
They will probably be around level 12 when they acquire the book. I do not believe they will have access to Teleport yet.
Book takes 1 full week of study to use, so they will not have time to use the books power.

I would expect Iuz would be very interested in acquiring the book and I was planning on sending waves of Demons after them on their journey back.

Any interesting ideas on who, what, and how will try to get the book from them?

Morof Stonehands
2022-01-28, 05:09 PM
An equal level party of Paladins/Good Clerics/Exalted Characters, trying to destroy the book

A very advanced Keeper (Fiend Folio) or Immoth (Monster Manual 2) who might find it first giving the party a chance for bargaining perhaps, rather than fighting.

Jack_Simth
2022-01-28, 06:29 PM
Demons: Better if it's not in enemy hands.
Dealers with demons (e.g., wizard with planar binding): Gives them power over demons.
Devils: Equips them to fight demons better.
Dealers with devils: Sweetens the deal when dealing with Devils, as the Devil can make use of it.
Anyone interested in money: Lots of folks want it, so yay, bidding war!
Good folks: Helps in fighting demons, or perhaps better to have it destroyed.

Arcane_Secrets
2022-01-31, 07:06 PM
A fallen good creature (not necessarily an angel, but can even be a mortal) who believes that they can use the demonomicon to devise spells to lock demons out of worlds, and that by doing this they could find redemption.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-01, 02:04 AM
Yugoloths. That book may make the balance tip in the Great War‚ and they do not want that. They will probably put it back rather than take it with them‚ since even its disappearance may have unforeseen consequences‚ but booby trap the hells out of the cave. You can even say that the traps the PCs encounter when going down have been set by yugoloths