PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #259 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2005-12-21, 09:18 AM
New comic is up.

Remember, there will be no new OOTS on Friday or Monday. It will return next Wednesday. Happy holidays, everyone.

Vargtass
2005-12-21, 09:25 AM
Excellent. wondered what happened to Xykon... Merry Christmas everyone!

Theodoxus
2005-12-21, 09:25 AM
Love it :)

Cheap Labor FTW!!!

Beelzebub1111
2005-12-21, 09:27 AM
Wait? Were Xycon and Redcloak just standing on that cliff that whole time? Overlooking the leigons? It doesn't seem that they moved from that spot..

themunck
2005-12-21, 09:29 AM
only two things to say
1) lol
2) merry christmas, even if you don't regonise it as anything else as another saterday.

AtomicKitKat
2005-12-21, 09:33 AM
Funny.

Nitpick: Peek, not Peak. :)

King_Troll
2005-12-21, 09:36 AM
Wait? Were Xycon and Redcloak just standing on that cliff that whole time? Overlooking the leigons? It doesn't seem that they moved from that spot..

Must be one helluva evilgasm

Taio
2005-12-21, 09:46 AM
I know if I was him, I'd want to just look over my several legions worth of evilness.

Chaos
2005-12-21, 09:48 AM
Why did I never before notice that Goblins and Hobgoblins have three toes? I mean, other humanoids don´t...

I thought this was another art upgrade, but I just re-checked, and they´ve been there since #1.

I think I´m groving old. Or maybe I just need new glasses.

Marller
2005-12-21, 09:51 AM
The second almost-revelation.
Nale was stopped by Julia. (and lives) ;D

celticdeltic
2005-12-21, 10:19 AM
Great comic although we should hope that Redcloak casts speak with dead.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-12-21, 10:50 AM
Classic filler ;D

GreyRat
2005-12-21, 11:22 AM
I approve.
Not only does sacrificing minions solve any problem, it's just fun on its own merits.

Happy Holidays, all. Hope everyone has a good time this weekend (including Rich). :)

Adghar
2005-12-21, 11:23 AM

Well, maybe a bunch of stuff happened off-screen. ¬¬

Alfryd
2005-12-21, 11:24 AM
Although my mind is clouded with senseless rage at the prospect of two *additional* missed updates, I have decided Xykon is now my favourite character.

RawBearNYC
2005-12-21, 11:47 AM
Why did I never before notice that Goblins and Hobgoblins have three toes? I mean, other humanoids don´t...

I thought this was another art upgrade, but I just re-checked, and they´ve been there since #1.

I think I´m groving old. Or maybe I just need new glasses.
I think (really think, Rich has never confirmed that) that the "three toes" represents "claws" instead of "feet". Else humans would only have one toe, instead of 5, the way they're drawn.

theangelJean
2005-12-21, 11:49 AM
I like the first frame the best.

"okay, yes, they're there, they're waiting, are we really going out there?"

Minions are shy!

Or, you know, any other spin you want to put on it, really. The first frame is just great.

munehiro
2005-12-21, 12:12 PM

probably they went down, gave orders to mobilize, sent some minion (and a couple more just in case someone is killed) to warn the other legions to pack, and went back on the hill to check the progress.

It is perfectly justified. Give orders and plan such mobilization is not something that can be done in five minutes.

Or maybe things are in parallel. While the Order is busy looking at the exploding Inn and have their asses beaten by the overbearing self-righteous bitch, Xykon and Reddy have their personal exciting panorama...

my definitive question however is...

Where are the demon cockroaches ? I miss them.

kradman
2005-12-21, 12:33 PM
nice...just nice

Ilaun_Undil
2005-12-21, 12:38 PM
well i must say it is great that we get a whole weeks sent of by a comic that barely attains to the plot in anyway. I was worried Rich might leave us a cliffhanger.

BTW the demon roaches are with the thing in the shadow, which could be anywhere right now, However we can deduce that it has been with Godblins

Antina
2005-12-21, 01:25 PM
Happy Holidays everyone - especially to great Rich!
Nice work done - holidays earned ;)

We all simply love Xykon - even so he´s e e v i i l !

Merry X-mas!

PS: I think X and Redcloak just have come back to the cliff-thingy and not have stood there all the time

sniffles
2005-12-21, 01:37 PM
Waaaa!!! Now I have to wait until next week for more OotSy goodness.

I am a selfish bugger. ;D

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you, Rich, and thanks for all the laughs! My wish for you next year is that you will have good health and great success. Now I must go get a subscription to Dragon.
:)

Lightman
2005-12-21, 01:46 PM
probably they went down, gave orders to mobilize, sent some minion (and a couple more just in case someone is killed) to warn the other legions to pack, and went back on the hill to check the progress.

It is perfectly justified. Give orders and plan such mobilization is not something that can be done in five minutes.

Or maybe things are in parallel. While the Order is busy looking at the exploding Inn and have their asses beaten by the overbearing self-righteous bitch, Xykon and Reddy have their personal exciting panorama...

my definitive question however is...

Where are the demon cockroaches ? I miss them.
Hey! When will you learn to never inject logic into a discussion of OOTS?!
;D
Merry Chris-I mean, Happy Holidays!

humanpylon
2005-12-21, 01:50 PM
at least this time we know there isn't a comic coming on friday and monday, so we won't be frantically hitting the refresh button and desperately trying to avoid going into catatonic shock....not that I would do anything like that. ;)

Invariel
2005-12-21, 01:59 PM
"Only if your attack roll exceeded her armor class."

I love that line. Because it works on so many levels.
What if Goblin 2 secretly has feelings for Haley, and his comment is a subtle jab that Goblin 1 has no chance? It's also such a good play on words, moreso because it was recently used in the forums about ten times to describe Julia. Ah, Rich. Master of subtlety.

Happy International Non-Denominational Gift Giving Season, all. See you next Wednesday.

Sylvius
2005-12-21, 02:00 PM
Great send-off before the break, Giant. Get Mrs. Giant something nice.

Merry Christmas.

Gleđileg Jól.

Beelzebub1111
2005-12-21, 02:09 PM
"Only if your attack roll exceeded her armor class."

I love that line. Because it works on so many levels.
What if Goblin 2 secretly has feelings for Haley, and his comment is a subtle jab that Goblin 1 has no chance? It's also such a good play on words, moreso because it was recently used in the forums about ten times to describe Julia. Ah, Rich. Master of subtlety.
Well, if he did, it doesn't matter now because they are both dead

Terrafire
2005-12-21, 02:41 PM
goblins.... are my favorite ever.... Wow! :D

Flippy
2005-12-21, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry, but i didn't really like it. The last few comics were probably the best that Rich delivered ever, but i was hoping for more Linear Guild. And except for the final picture i didn't really have any good laughs. A few smiles perhaps, what is still way better then most web comics.
In short, this wasn't a bad comic, just a bad OOTS comic

evnafets
2005-12-21, 03:09 PM
Well, if he did, it doesn't matter now because they are both dead

But...but... wasn't he meant to be a recurring villian? he had a name! And he was totally going to betray Xykon for the love of Haley, and... and...
oh well.

I will admit that "Jim" was a dead throwaway from the start, but "Kodrog the Slayer" is obviously a character of some importance.

Elethiomel
2005-12-21, 03:45 PM
goblins.... are my favorite ever.... Wow! :D

They're hobgoblins. Goblins are green.

Anyway, I must say that I quite like this new comic. And I have no problem with fangless females.

Evik
2005-12-21, 04:02 PM
Must be one helluva evilgasm

that would be my opinion too.
Savoring the momment of having an entire city of minions to cater to your every whim...
mmmmmm......evilgasm.....mmmmmmm ;D

Fanatic-Templar
2005-12-21, 04:09 PM
Never saw this comic coming! Priceless stuff.

And Kodrog the Slayer might return as a zombie lord?

Mercutio01
2005-12-21, 04:26 PM
The return of Xykon is much appreciated. I love the BBEG - maybe that's why I like DMing so much.

Tarlonniel
2005-12-21, 04:28 PM
Excellent as usual, although I was disappointed not to see a "He's dead, Jim" gag in there somewhere.... ;)

enigma
2005-12-21, 04:39 PM
I wonder how long it takes Rich to make his comics. I'm sure they vary by how visually complex each one is and how the story is cooperating with his ultimate vision, but say for the comic that's up right now. Simple visuals, simply story...

(This isn't a complaint mind you, just a curious thought. I don't care how late they are because I have irregular access to the comp anyway.)

Enigma

Charity322
2005-12-21, 05:11 PM
Funny.

Nitpick: Peek, not Peak. :)

Hey Hobgoblins probably don't speak Common well, they'd be even worse at spelling it. :P

As for where Xykon/Redcloak were, I reckon they were down inspecting the troops etc and came back up for a break/to look at their army. Xykon did say that the cards were obstructing his view so if they'd been there all along he would have done them in when they first lifted the cards. ;) Also it he was always there he would have heard the question about the guy in the shadows and not had to ask about it.

Btw, what does ftw mean? ???

Merry Christmas! Can't believe it's this Sunday. :o Hope everyone has a great time. :)

The_Kobold_Hero
2005-12-21, 05:14 PM
Funny as usual. ;D Great job! Kodrog the Slaye and Jim ruled.

AtomicKitKat
2005-12-21, 05:42 PM
Hey Hobgoblins probably don't speak Common well, they'd be even worse at spelling it. :P

It's a common enough error that I had to point it out. Else I'd be rolling around in bed going WTF for several hours. :P

Btw, what does ftw mean? ???

For the Win.

Vitas
2005-12-21, 05:48 PM
ZZZZAP!!! Damn all those posts are blocking my view:)))

Flak_Razorwill
2005-12-21, 07:10 PM
Wow, that's some good technique. Six months and Xykon's still having that evilgasm.

ref
2005-12-21, 07:21 PM
Nice.

Happy Decemberween everyone.

Krytha
2005-12-21, 07:24 PM
As much as I lament my toes being cold and no OotS for the better part of a week (Oh lord WHY? THere is no GOD!! Woe unto he who is I!!)...

Merry Xykon-mas! (I knew it was an X for SOME reason... as opposed to merry t-mas?..)

Nightfall
2005-12-21, 08:34 PM
Great comic! I laughed my frozen assets off (it's about 5 degrees here in Chicago).

Blessed Yule to those who celebrate the return of the light.

Happy Holidays to everyone else, and especially to my favorite web-comic creator. :)

Magus
2005-12-21, 09:30 PM
You've done it again, Giant! Awesome!

Merry Christmas!

Eva_of_Sirrion
2005-12-21, 09:37 PM
'Nother nitpick:

Kodrog would still "totally hit" Haley if his attack roll equalled her AC.

And if he was using a touch attack he could even roll lower than her AC, because the armor and natural armor bonuses wouldn't apply. ;D

bluish_wolf
2005-12-21, 09:57 PM
Maybe he has a low strength or something that gives him a negative. So, he actually has to exceed on his roll in order to hit.

Sundog
2005-12-21, 11:17 PM
But remember, with Haley you'd just need to add a Gold Piece to double your chance of successs... ::)

Cheery Mishmash, everybody! Don't forget the sunscreen!

idksocrates
2005-12-22, 01:24 AM
god I love Xykon. I mean, he doesn't even kill goblins because he takes pleasure in it or anyting, he just finds them so useless and in abundance that he can kill a handful because they obstruct his view.

ah, good times.

JessmanCA
2005-12-22, 01:45 AM
An all-around quality strip. <3 villains

Godhand
2005-12-22, 01:48 AM
Oh those silly hobgoblins, when will they learn that walking on the strip is a death wish? Anywho, great strip, and enjoy your break Mr. Giant.

Eloco
2005-12-22, 01:55 AM
nit pick! when all you nit pickers get coal in your stockings, its not because you were Bad, its simply because the price of oil is so high :P

Vargtass
2005-12-22, 02:54 AM
Oh those silly hobgoblins, when will they learn that walking on the strip is a death wish? Anywho, great strip, and enjoy your break Mr. Giant.

Perhaps that's why they're so reluctant to enter the first panel? They are probably aware of of their expendable status (cheap labour comment)...

nihil8r
2005-12-22, 05:08 AM
Considering the typo/bad sentence in panel 3, and the extremely bad rules error, which isn't really acceptable considering the quality of rules exploitation humor this strip is based on, I was pretty disappointed. Rich could have just put up a 5 second drawing saying "haha its Christmas, lollers!" and I would have been more satisfied than this. All the jokes in the beginning (human girls have no fangs, the guy's name is scary but his friend is just "Jim"), are awesome, but the punchline is just Xykon randomly murdering his henchmen for no reason ... again. That's not funny.

OOTS is one of my favorite comics and I think it's very influential. But this comic wasn't up to par with the normal standard set by the "golden days" of early OOTS.

Beelzebub1111
2005-12-22, 05:21 AM
But remember, with Haley you'd just need to add a Gold Piece to double your chance of successs... ::)
I believe you just refered to Haley as a hooker/harlet/whore

Eloco
2005-12-22, 05:33 AM
This is a rough crowd, going to run out of coal for sure.

triffid
2005-12-22, 05:34 AM
Rich could have just put up a 5 second drawing saying "haha its Christmas, lollers!" and I would have been more satisfied than this.

And the #1 reason I'm glad that random grumpy sense-of-entitlement fans don't get to decide where the comic goes.

Can you honestly say "golden days of early OOTS" with a straight face?

Really?

Reborn
2005-12-22, 05:37 AM
To nihil8r ---

psshhh cut Rich some slack. It was good, and it was funny. A reason that it might not be quite as good as his previous fantastical creations is that he has to keep the cliff hanger of what's happened to the OOTS since we last checked in, and, :o :o :o Haley's voice, until after Christmas. That way things are more neat and tidy.

Marller
2005-12-22, 06:09 AM
OOTS is one of my favorite comics and I think it's very influential. But this comic wasn't up to par with the normal standard set by the "golden days" of early OOTS.

Ah yes, it's ages ago since it was monday. ;D

ref
2005-12-22, 06:10 AM
And if he was using a touch attack he could even roll lower than her AC, because the armor and natural armor bonuses wouldn't apply. ;D

Yes. Touch attack is the right way to go ;D ;)

Sundog
2005-12-22, 06:56 AM

No, I implied precisely that. If sufficient gold were to be at hand...

Closet_Skeleton
2005-12-22, 09:28 AM
Touch attacking a rogue? that would negate what; +2 for her leather?

McHarty
2005-12-22, 01:38 PM
Yeah, but considering the rogue in question... Maybe you have more to gain with juste a TOUCH attack ;D

GreyRat
2005-12-22, 02:05 PM
Yes. Touch attack is the right way to go ;D ;)

Yes, guys always think that, but you'd be amazed how much more effective a simple contest of Charisma can be.
::)

Tetralemma
2005-12-22, 04:25 PM
I have to disagree with everyone extolling the virtues of the touch attack. You really need to use a normal attack, otherwise the uh, weapon won't uh, penetrate.

The full attack option works even better.

;D

bluish_wolf
2005-12-22, 08:17 PM
Yes, guys always think that, but you'd be amazed how much more effective a simple contest of Charisma can be.
::)

Yeah, but charisma skills don't work on player characters.

evileeyore
2005-12-22, 10:16 PM
No, I implied precisely that. If sufficient gold were to be at hand...
I'm sure even haley has limits to which she go to earn her lucre.

Duskrider_Moogle
2005-12-23, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry, but i didn't really like it. The last few comics were probably the best that Rich delivered ever, but i was hoping for more Linear Guild. And except for the final picture i didn't really have any good laughs. A few smiles perhaps, what is still way better then most web comics.
In short, this wasn't a bad comic, just a bad OOTS comic

What he said. Having the Linear Guild answer letters would have been great, as a way to complete their opposite mirroring thing. This...well, I think the best that can be said of it is that it returns us to Xykon. Yay for lichness!

killingwithasmile
2005-12-23, 02:41 AM
cut rich some slack, it was just filler albeit the best filler in a long time. does anyone seriously think that it would be better to have a sign saying its christmas.

anyway....

it would have been good to see the linear guild and maybe have thog causeing damage as pposed to v , but still good filler

Zink
2005-12-23, 07:35 AM
Yeah, but charisma skills don't work on player characters.

I believe that rule doesn't exist in the OotSverse; Roy rolled a bluff check to keep Haley in his party back in 139 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=139).

BiggusGeekus
2005-12-23, 02:04 PM
I believe that rule doesn't exist in the OotSverse; Roy rolled a bluff check to keep Haley in his party back in 139 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=139).

Unless Haley faked that to stay in the party with Elan.

Edit: mistook evil twin for good hero. Corrected comment.

wagomorph
2005-12-23, 02:39 PM
But...but... wasn't he meant to be a recurring villian? he had a name! And he was totally going to betray Xykon for the love of Haley, and... and...
oh well.

I will admit that "Jim" was a dead throwaway from the start, but "Kodrog the Slayer" is obviously a character of some importance.

Isn't the guy in the red shirt supposed to die and Jim supposed to carry on and go "where no goblin has gone before?"

wagomorph
2005-12-23, 03:15 PM
Touch attacking a rogue? that would negate what; +2 for her leather?

Touch attack on a hot chick in leather.

Heaven, I'm in heaven. And my heart beats so that I can hardly speeeaaak. With all apologies to "Top Hat"

chibibar
2005-12-23, 03:18 PM
Oh no!!! he is dead jim!!!! jim is dead!

wagomorph
2005-12-23, 03:27 PM

Can I add strumpet, tart, working girl, and woman of the night?? any more synonyms?

Starbuck_II
2005-12-23, 04:41 PM
You forgot Call Girl...or Message Girl as they have no phones.

How much money does Haley need for her family again...I forgot...

But I'd say for the right price she'd do anything ... relatively.

Krytha
2005-12-23, 06:16 PM
How much money does Haley need for her family again...I forgot...

But I'd say for the right price she'd do anything ... relatively.

She needs 200,000 gold I think... and yes she's quite mercenary, but the amount of gold would have to be preposterous and even then theres probably a few things she wouldnt do...

ARGH OOTS withdrawl! Arms! Shakkkinggg.. Pupilss! Dilattinggg! So cold....... so very, very ...... cold....

Starla
2005-12-23, 06:16 PM
200,000 gp for him to consider releasing her father. I think she should just ask for the group's help in busting him out. She could tell the King that she has the treasure and pull and Ocean's 11 trick where while he thinks everything is where it should be she and oots go in and break out her dad and keep their money at the same time. Of course they would have to get rid of Miko or get her to believe that she was upholding the law. Or use her as the front man while they do all the dirty work behind the scenes....Hee hee, the possibilities are endless.

wagomorph
2005-12-23, 08:02 PM
OK, now I get it. Haley is Julia Roberts. ;) ;)

Hawkeye
2005-12-23, 11:19 PM
I have to disagree with everyone extolling the virtues of the touch attack. You really need to use a normal attack, otherwise the uh, weapon won't uh, penetrate.

The full attack option works even better.

;D

Do you always think with your trouser titan?

Baloo
2005-12-24, 04:28 AM
Can I add strumpet, tart, working girl, and woman of the night?? any more synonyms?
How about: Slovenly Trull, Brazen Strumpet, Cheap Trollop, Typical Streetwalker, Saucy Tart, Wanton Wench, Expensive Doxy, Haughty Courtesan, Aged Madam, Sly Pimp, or Rich Panderer?

OK, Aged madam, Sly pimp and Rich Panderer are probably right out.

Sundog
2005-12-24, 10:25 AM
NOT if she has a good enough disguise skill...

wagomorph
2005-12-24, 04:11 PM
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise.

kradman
2005-12-24, 06:31 PM
why is it that when there are no new comics for a while you people start thinking about haley in leather and well bunch of stuff that is directly related to 8-bitT?

"so thats where earthquakes come from?"

idksocrates
2005-12-25, 05:37 AM
Haley's AC doesn't drop for a gold peice. Offering that peice just makes it more likely that the pouch you pulled it from disappears before you look back.

hmm... Touch attack versus Penetration.... quite the quandary...
Ah! Use a touch attack to grab her, then when you intitiate the grapple hit her with a normal attack for the penetration.
Ah, idksocrates, you sly dog you...

gooddragon1
2005-12-25, 01:55 PM
Real quick thingy:
When Xykon zapped the hobgoblins on the cliff (#259) why didn't the card burst into flames?

The Glyphstone
2005-12-25, 05:05 PM
Because it's electrical damage, not fire damage, silly! ;D

ElfLad
2005-12-25, 08:32 PM
OK, now I get it. Haley is Julia Roberts. ;) ;)

Ha, at first I thought you were referring to "Pretty Woman" with all the "Haley is a prostitute" discussion.

Speaking of which, you never listed "prostitute" among the synonyms.

wagomorph
2005-12-25, 10:36 PM
That would also work, but it was an Ocean's 12 reference.

Adghar
2005-12-25, 11:41 PM
Because it's electrical damage, not fire damage, silly! ;D

RAW beats logic once again!

Lightning spell description says that it can light easily flammable materials on fire. And I doubt they coated the cards in AFIR/ALIT before reading them. And I doubt they made the cards out of something other than paper.

bluish_wolf
2005-12-26, 12:53 AM
He might have been throwing it up in the air for fun while the other one was talking. So, it was still in midair when the lightning bolt hit and hence was out of range.

Ilaun_Undil
2005-12-26, 10:42 AM
first off cards only have a certain percentage to catch fire.
The card made thier reflex save
the cards were actually titanium.
it was a moist day out.
Haley didn't want to deal with a fire on set.
The monster in the shadow blew the flame out before the card caught on fire.
What more do you want.

Tetralemma
2005-12-26, 12:24 PM
I'm surprised that no one recognized the Cue Card of Infinite Updating, a powerful artifact from ancient times whose origins are shrouded in mystery (shrouds of mystery are a requirement for building an artifact). Such an artifact could not possibly be destroyed by a mere Lightning Bolt.

I'm just wondering how those orcs got their hands on it. The Cue Card was believed lost in an ancient cataclysm (that's another requirement - you can't just have PCs going down to the corner artifact store any time they please).

The Glyphstone
2005-12-26, 06:09 PM

Lightning spell description says that it can light easily flammable materials on fire. And I doubt they coated the cards in AFIR/ALIT before reading them. And I doubt they made the cards out of something other than paper.

Well, coat me in dire maggot saliva and set me afire...I specifically read Lightning Bolt first to check for that... :-[

Elven_magister
2005-12-26, 06:44 PM
Yes no lightning bolt could burn a Artifact. Cant wait for next comic :D

Evik
2005-12-27, 06:00 PM
What he said. Having the Linear Guild answer letters would have been great, as a way to complete their opposite mirroring thing.

Ok, but, for it to be "Truely Opposite" the Linear Guild would be the ones asking us the questions ::)

Ladoran
2005-12-28, 04:38 AM

For once I think the rules actually portray reality. There are a lot of cases of trees and houses catching on fire from a lightning strike. There's no reason to assume that a magical one would behave in any other way. A quick google gives a standard lightning temperature of about 30000 K, which should be enough to set anything on fire.

Marller
2005-12-28, 06:02 AM
Personally i think the hobgoblins with their armor made a better conductor and the lightning just didn't pass through the cardboards. :)

Sebastian
2005-12-28, 07:14 AM
Touch attack on a hot chick in leather.

I think that could open you to a "slap of opprtunity"

The Giant
2005-12-28, 08:35 AM
Strip ETA: 2-3 hours.

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-28, 09:00 AM

Strip ETA? Witty, that. Considering that quite a few of us would have had flown overseas for Christmas recently........

I can picture a possible filler image:

<Picture Rich and several other passengers riding on a paper airplane, folded out of an OOTS strip. The plane is doing loop-the-loops. The passengers obviously do not look happy.

Filler message: The strip is currently encountering severe air turbulence. Please return to your seats and fasten your seat belts. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused........>

Lord_Jadawin
2005-12-28, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the update, G. Hope you had a great holiday.

gorogongorgy
2005-12-29, 05:15 PM
I think that could open you to a "slap of opprtunity"

That is positive...she wouldn't even have to throw the attack roll...though i'm not so sure about the damage she would deal...any suggestions?
:P