PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed I need help picking an animal totem for my druid

Klorox
2022-01-28, 10:15 PM
I’ve opted to play a totemic druid in my AD&D 2e game. My problem is picking what animal I’ll choose.

The campaign could go to level 10-12 according to the DM, so keep that in mind, as I’m locking in this animal form as my specialty.

Here is a small excerpt of the kit:

The Totemic Druid closely identifies with a particular species of mammal, reptile, or bird. While Vanier, a typical Totemic Druid, stops short of worshiping his totem animal, he believes that particular animal represents his spirit. The Totemic Druid picks a normal (real-world) wild mammal, reptile, or bird as his totem. This creature cannot be larger than a bear or smaller than a mouse. Some common choices include the black bear, bobcat, eagle, owl, wolf, rattlesnake, and beaver. In addition, Vanier's totem animal must correspond to his branch; if Vanier belongs to the desert druid branch, he can select as his totem only an animal that normally lives in the desert.

My character is a forest druid. I don’t have access to a monster manual so I’m not sure if there’s an optimal choice here. I am concerned that I might not have much need for a fighting form like a bear at a higher level, but something that can spy like a mouse or owl might be a better choice.

Please let me know what you think.

gnomish dwelf
2022-01-28, 11:13 PM
I was gonna suggest a polar bear, the largest meanest baddest ursine out there, but doesn't match forest druid and you want something that can spy... why not a balance between espionage and battle readiness? a wolverine! I dont know if the ad&d stats reflect their great power, but it should.

Lo'Tek
2022-01-29, 11:05 AM
birds of prey are typically a good choice as they are great scouts and messengers. Cooper Hawks, Goshawks and Sparrowhawks, while active during the day, have eyes that also work well at night. They can see ultraviolet light, albeit not very well, the tetrachromacy trait is stronger in birds that gather fruit and don't have farsight, as low wavelength vision and farsight are somewhat incompatible. They are incredible agile flyers as they hunt in woods and are large enough to have at least some combat use in emergencies. Great Owls are larger, have exceptional low light vision and superior hearing, but being nocturnal may have downsides, depending on your adventuring group and quest. Birds in general are also rather bad at dungeon crawling.

Stats from the AD&D2 Monstrous Manual:

Hawks have ac 6 and 33-B (speed - maneuver class: B can hover in place and attack every turn) they do 1-2 / 1-2 (claws) and 1 with the beak. Dive attack with claws only and +2 to hit and double damage. When attacking in melee their beak has 25% chance to hit an eye and blind an opponent for 1D10 rounds with a 10% chance to loose that eye. Thac0 19, but i would argue to use the druids own thac0. Hawks can never be surprised. Note that their game stats don't include ultravision or low light vision.

Owls have ac 5 and 27-D (wide turning radius, attacks every 3 rounds), which some owl-enthusiasts may complain dearly about. They get 36m Infravision, for reasons of scientific cluelessness and lack of better "low-light-vision" rules. The Monstrous Compendium instead gives them ultravision, which is also raw crap, but hey take what you can get. Their silent flight grants a 6 point surprise bonus. Thac0 19 and 1-2 / 1-2 / 1. Dive attack as hawks but no special beak attack. Owls can not be surprised during night, but get a malus of 3 when discovered during day at their roosting place. They have four times better hearing, whatever that means mechanically. Note that these are for larger owls like the great horned owl and that smaller owls should be houseruled.

Falcons with 36-B and AC5 are faster and harder to hit than hawks, but less useful in combat with Thac0 20 and damage 1/1/1. Their text doesn't mention anything about surprise or special attacks, however they are described as a "smaller variant" of the hawk and the Monstrous Compendium 2 even lists them in the entry for hawks, so one could argue that they get the same specials. If the DM agrees to that interpretation i would consider trading in damage for speed and armor class and take the falcon. If the DM does not agree i may prefer the hawk for the blinding attack. Tough choice.

LibraryOgre
2022-01-29, 11:35 AM
Generally speaking, fighting in animal form is a poor choice. At low levels, where a totemic druid can manage it, it's a bit better, but once you start having magic weapons and armor, you're probably better off using your natural abilities.

Instead, I'd look at utility, with a bit of combat as an option. Turning into a robin isn't a great idea, but something like a hawk or an owl lets you fly. A bobcat is a suggested form, but the closest there are to stats for them are either "Cat, Small, Wild" or the Giant Lynx, which is human-smart.

Some good suggestions, and why
Bat or Bat, large: Unusual choice, nocturnal flyers, interesting possibilities from their sonar. Downside? They don't do too well in combat.

Bear, Brown: Tough as heck (can fight until -8 HP), but that's about it.

Bird:
Hawk, Large: Mechanically, there's no reason to favor an eagle over a hawk, who flies faster and with more manueverability, but does the same damage. Bonus? Immune to surprise.
Owl: Nocturnal falcon, but they don't have the same flight capabilities as an eagle, and are still vulnerable to surprise. They are, themselves, sneaky, however, and have good infravision.

Cat, Great, Leopard: Almost identical to a mountain lion, but with better movement rate.
Cat, Small, Wild: Good stealth represented in their surprise bonus (-3). Not a good combatant.

Dog: Not mechanically significant.

Horse: Several good options, decent tactical speed, strong for carrying loot

Mammal, Skunk: The ability to make horrible stenches (that cut Str and Dex by 50% for several rounds) should not be underestimated.

Mammal, Small, Chipmunk or Gopher: Burrowing speed is hella useful
Mammal, Small, Hedgehog: Cannot be buggered at all. Usefulness depends on maturity of fellow players.
Mammal, Small, Mink: Burrowing speed, plus greater ground speed
Mammal, Small, Racoon: Cool as heck. Decent hands.
Mammal, Small, Squirrel (Flying): Flying speed, arguably decent hands.

Wolf or Dire Wolf: Relatively common choices; nothing special mechanically.

gnomish dwelf
2022-01-29, 11:58 AM
Mammal, Small, Hedgehog: Cannot be buggered at all. Usefulness depends on maturity of fellow players. hahaha this sounds like there are many interesting anecdotes behind that statement.

Klorox
2022-01-29, 12:30 PM
hahaha this sounds like there are many interesting anecdotes behind that statement.

I was going to say something similar. Other than a blue guy that can run real fast, I’m missing something. LOL.

LibraryOgre
2022-01-29, 01:08 PM
Discworld joke. When one of the witches, Nanny Ogg, gets drunk, she sings a song about how the hedgehog cannot be buggered at all.

gnomish dwelf
2022-01-29, 03:22 PM
Discworld joke. When one of the witches, Nanny Ogg, gets drunk, she sings a song about how the hedgehog cannot be buggered at all.

Its such a good joke that we got it despite not having read discworld.

EDIT: poisonous animals are also good choice, the pithoui (a poisonous bird), the male platypus (a poisonous mammal), the king cobra, etc. but I am probably naming animals without game stats...