PDA

View Full Version : Arm of Nyr & Other Upgrades

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-29, 10:06 AM
Any good "medieval cyber" items that arent grafts? Replacement eyes (not Vecna's), legs, internal components etc.

Balthanon
2022-01-30, 12:49 PM
Any good "medieval cyber" items that arent grafts? Replacement eyes (not Vecna's), legs, internal components etc.

I mean, grafts are pretty much how they handled replacing body parts (or adding new) in 3.5. Arm of Nyr probably would have been statted up as one if they had the mechanic at the time the DMG was printed. Is there a reason you don't want to use them?

There are different kinds of grafts that might better fit what you're looking for if it is the organic nature that is the problem. Maug's for instance, have their own grafts which are mechanical in nature. You could pretty easily expand to being able to use those on humanoids without too much trouble. I think warforged might have had some too, though I don't remember that as clearly-- I didn't play as much Eberron as Faerun.

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-30, 02:44 PM
The fleshy grafts arent what I'm looking for & the warforged grafts seem lackluster. I'll take a look at the Maug though. The biggest thing I was looking for was something that would make me ageless, or replace my eye with something that gives good abilities

Thurbane
2022-01-30, 03:51 PM
Probably not really what you are looking for, but the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (ToM) replace your own teeth, and give you magical abilities.

Stump-Knife is a weapon (A&EG) that gets attached in place of a severed hand.

Half (Iron) Golem template? MM2, from memory.

Actually, this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?190350) has a few special mentions that aren't technically grafts or symbionts.

Balthanon
2022-01-30, 08:58 PM
The fleshy grafts arent what I'm looking for & the warforged grafts seem lackluster. I'll take a look at the Maug though. The biggest thing I was looking for was something that would make me ageless, or replace my eye with something that gives good abilities

Given that being ageless is a level 20/10 capstone for several classes, it's hard to find as an item you buy. There was a Dragon magazine article about it that had some options though... Looks like it was #354, the "Ancients" article. Among other things it had a level 9 sor/wiz spell that could give someone the Endless quality (basically you don't age) and required a 4000 gp focus plus spending 5000 xp. You could potentially get an eye enchanted with that spell for 29,000 gold assuming you can find a 17th level caster.

I would guess most DMs would probably be open to a reflavored enchanted eye taking up the mask/face slot too; I'd certainly allow it if someone lost an eye and wanted to do something like that. It might depend slightly on what the item did, but for the most part any goggles or other things dealing with sight certainly seem appropriate.

If it doesn't need to be an object though, there was also a 1st level feat called Wedded to History that would give you the Endless quality plus some extra abilities based on backgrounds in the article.

Edit: Check out the Undead grafts in Libris Mortis too-- not all of those have a very organic feel. There's an eye in there that lets you shoot a fireball out of your eye and the eye itself is a gem, for instance.

Athan Artilliam
2022-01-31, 01:02 AM
Probably not really what you are looking for, but the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (ToM) replace your own teeth, and give you magical abilities.

Stump-Knife is a weapon (A&EG) that gets attached in place of a severed hand.

Half (Iron) Golem template? MM2, from memory.

Actually, this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?190350) has a few special mentions that aren't technically grafts or symbionts.

That list is extremely helpful!

Given that being ageless is a level 20/10 capstone for several classes, it's hard to find as an item you buy. There was a Dragon magazine article about it that had some options though... Looks like it was #354, the "Ancients" article. Among other things it had a level 9 sor/wiz spell that could give someone the Endless quality (basically you don't age) and required a 4000 gp focus plus spending 5000 xp. You could potentially get an eye enchanted with that spell for 29,000 gold assuming you can find a 17th level caster.

I would guess most DMs would probably be open to a reflavored enchanted eye taking up the mask/face slot too; I'd certainly allow it if someone lost an eye and wanted to do something like that. It might depend slightly on what the item did, but for the most part any goggles or other things dealing with sight certainly seem appropriate.

If it doesn't need to be an object though, there was also a 1st level feat called Wedded to History that would give you the Endless quality plus some extra abilities based on backgrounds in the article.

Edit: Check out the Undead grafts in Libris Mortis too-- not all of those have a very organic feel. There's an eye in there that lets you shoot a fireball out of your eye and the eye itself is a gem, for instance.

As was this. I never knew about this Endless stuff. I wish I had known when i made my character

ShurikVch
2022-01-31, 01:04 PM
There are some more possibilities

Complete Arcane - Acolyte of the Skin PrC: Wear Fiend class feature - use Lead Devil or Spiked Devil (Dragon #306) - they're made of metal (ex-Constructs)
Dragon #287 - Fiend Slayer PrC: Fiend Skin class feature - the same idea as above
Dragon #304 - Sculpt Self feat: Steeled Creature, Adamantine Creature, and the whole "Gear" focus
Dragon #315 - Kolyarut Hand and Zelekhut Wings grafts
Dragon #318 - pirates-themed article includes prosthetic hook and number of thematic grafts (like Golden Dancing Pegleg or Spyglass Eye)
Dragon #351 - "The Clockwork Disciple" article includes technomagical implants. They look like colored disks, chips of metal, or rods of metal
Dragon #359 - the "Body Modifications" article has Craft (body modifications) skill, which can produce such things as Combat Mods (light weapon or armor), Embedded Holy Symbol, or extra body slots for small wondrous items
Dungeon #91 - Half-Machine template (3.0, so no LA included)
Libris Mortis - Eye of Flame graft: while it's, technically, Undead Graft - it's not "fleshy" (it's a gem)
Races of the Dragon - Gleaming Scales and Resilient Scales grafts: use scales from Metallic, Ferrous, or Steel Dragons