View Full Version : DM Help Isekai Reboot

DSCrankshaw
2022-01-29, 12:12 PM
I'm running a group through Rime of the Frostmaiden, and while I'm not planning a TPK, I figure it's a distinct possibility.

If that happens, I'm planning to give them an option to continue with the same characters, but a different campaign. In other words, I'm planning to isekai the lot of them.

If you're not familiar with it, isekai is a Japanese genre where characters travel to another world (similar to portal fantasy, but with it's own tropes). There are a number of different ways to do that, but a common one, which I'm leaning most heavily on, is that they die in this world and are reborn in another world with their memories intact. (See roughly 50% of recent anime, manga, or light novels for details.)

So here are some of my objectives for this:

I want the new characters to feel like they are in some ways the same character, but have changed a lot and have a chance to start over.
Isekai protagonists tend to be overpowered, so I want them to be at least a little more powerful than their previous incarnations, but I still need to DM their characters, so I don't want to make them too powerful.
I'd prefer to run them through a module, rather than having to homebrew a whole world. The problem I'm running into is most first-party modules are set in the Forgotten Realms, and I really want to emphasize the different world part.

Here's what I have so far.

Welp, that's it. TPK. The party is dead. But you've been given a second chance, and are about to reborn into another world.

The conceit is that rather than a new character, it's the same one, but reincarnated. This is based on the Japanese genre of isekai, so I'm borrowing liberally from that genre. In terms of character creation, it's more restricted, but overall more powerful. Since you were reincarnated, you will have been born and grown up in this world, so you may have a new race and class.

Race: roll d100 on the druid Reincarnate spell table to determine your race. If you roll odd, your sex is male; if you roll even, your sex is female. (If you prefer to pick your sex, I won't force you to use what you roll.) If you roll human, use the regular human rather than the variant.
Ability Scores: This is complicated, but overall more powerful. It will give you scores at least as good (but probably better than) your previous life, but you won't have complete control.

Figure out your initial ability score array from your previous incarnation, before racial modifiers or ASIs. (We used a 17, 15, 13, 12, 10, 8 array, so place those in the same abilities as in your previous life.)
Roll ability scores six times and apply them--in order--to Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, and Cha.
For each ability score, take the highest of the ability score in your previous life or your new roll.
Apply your racial modifiers. Feel free to use Tasha's customization options.

Background: You may either choose the same background you had in your previous life, or the new Isekai Protagonist background, described below.

As an alternative, instead of the same background, you can take 1 level of the same class you had before (if we're starting at higher than 1st level, it doesn’t have to be your starting class)

Pick your class: Pick any class. You may want to continue on the path you were on before, but this is a chance to start over and do something new. You should have ability scores at least as good as (and probably better than) your previous life, but you won't have control over where those ability scores are, so that may affect your decisions.
Languages: In addition to your usual languages, you know an additional language called Faerun Common. This is the common tongue spoken on your original homeworld. Only other people who have been there could possibly know it.
Pick a feat: The one who gave you this second chance has given you a leg up in the other world. You start the game with one feat.

You're dead. But that isn't necessarily the end. An enigmatic/friendly/incompetent divine being--a death avatar/angel/goddess (it's almost always a goddess rather than a god)--is giving you a second chance, and you're being reincarnated in another world.

Skills: Pick two skills you were proficient with in your previous life. You're now proficient with them in this life.

Languages: Pick a language you knew in your previous life. You now know it in this life.

Tool/weapon Proficiency: You are proficient with one tool you were proficient with in your previous life, or one weapon you were proficient with in your previous life.

Starting items: The tool or weapon you are proficient with from your previous life, 25 gp

Inexplicable attractiveness: You are considered desirable by members of both sexes, regardless of their usual sexual preference or your charisma or appearance. How much you take advantage of it is up to you, but you can usually parlay their attraction into minor favors, hospitality, and (usually chaste) companionship. Only important love interests would be willing to take real risks for you, however.

So, given all that, I could use some advice on the following:

Overall, does this approach work to help make characters feel the same, but significantly changed?
What method of rolling ability scores should I use? The fact that I'm not letting them assign ability scores as desired makes me feel like I should give them an option that gives stronger rolls, but maybe that's cancelled out by taking the higher of their new roll or previous ability scores. I've been considering the following:

4d6b3 (best 3 rolls out of 4d6) -- This gives the standard results. I feel like this is most likely to bump up their low stats, but unlikely to change which stat is their primary.
2d6+6 -- This is just a little bit better than 4d6b3, and gives similar numbers (the main advantage is that it avoids the possibility of really low rolls, but does that matter since it will be compared to their previous stats?)
3d6b2+6 -- This gives significantly better results, and I feel like it's probably too strong. But it's the most likely to give them a new highest ability score, which means that it creates a more significant choice for them.

What campaign module should I use? Right now I'm leaning toward Curse of Strahd, because that's pretty setting independent and one of the players has expressed an interest in playing it, but in that case it doesn't feel like the new world would matter as much as it should (I could have them reborn into Barovia, but it's a plot point that all residents of Barovia are human, except for a community of elves). Are there 3rd party campaigns I should consider instead? (I have the campaign book for Dungeons of Drakkenheim, for example.)

False God
2022-01-29, 01:05 PM
I generally advise people not use any of the official campaigns if they're going to have slightly powered up characters. The official campaigns are designed for fairly average, "out of the box" if you will, 5E characters. I don't have any good third party suggestions though, I typically world-build.

Not that you can't insert Curse of Strahd into a whole other world of course and just use it as a starting point. Perhaps the free MTG for D&D setting info for Innistrad (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Plane_Shift_Innistrad.pdf) could be helpful for running a game in an entirely mild gothic horror setting using CoS as a starting point. Though depending on how visceral you want it to be, you might find your characters in a Type-D isekai. Unfortunately I don't believe there's a full 5E conversion for the greater Realms of Dread, if there is, please someone show me.

I'm more inclined to simply let the players reroll their characters the normal method and then assign some bonuses afterward (usually just another set of 3 ASI points and a feat) OR roll all of that other stuff for them (depending on group buy-in). IMO: being isekaied isn't so much about getting a new body, but how you handle yourself in a new world (see: Shield Hero vs Jobless Reincarnation), which may or may not include having a new body. I present the rerolling as an opportunity for the players and their characters but not mandatory.

DSCrankshaw
2022-01-29, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about overpowered characters. I only have 3 players. A +1/+2 to attacks, saves, and/or ability checks is not going to overcome the action economy deficit in an adventure designed for 4-6 players. A bonus feat might make more of a difference, but they're not really optimizers.

Lunali
2022-01-30, 11:28 AM
If you are going CoS, it might make more sense to have the characters get transported there "before they died." Characters coming into being inside Borovia has problems and characters getting pulled from other worlds has precedent.

If you were running a different module, I might be worried about balance issues, but chances of death in CoS is less about how strong the characters are and more about how strong they think they are. The stronger they think they are, the more likely they are to die, even if you let them start with a set of 18s.

FirstAgeMagic
2022-01-31, 12:35 PM
I'm running a group through Rime of the Frostmaiden, and while I'm not planning a TPK, I figure it's a distinct possibility.

Hilariously I am doing something similar. Well, maybe. We're close to the end of my ongoing weekly game and so I'm preparing the next game by giving my players 3 campagin pitches. We talked about it last week (break today) and next week they'll pick one. The Isekai one got some attention.

Unlike yours this one is for kind of underpowered characters in a dark survival horror world (they roll stats 3d6 in order but can replace two numbers in the process with a 6, and a 5; only get a background to start, no class levels). But to make it a fun isekai I'm also giving them a fairly strong (maybe broken?) extra abilities based on their cause of death in the real world.

Abilities are rough right now, I'll only flesh them out if they choose this campaign but I wanted to jot some down and talk over causes of death with the players when I presented. They don't know any of the abilities, just the CoD's I have listed (they added some of their own, not sure if I'll use all of them. Some are silly).

Use it for inspiration if you'd like! And let me know how yours goes!

Murdered Non-Human Race, Racial Feat, and a Relevant Resistance. Considering Monsterous races like a Dragon Wyrmling too but I'll figure that out later. In that case you can ignore the Racial Feat.
Poisoned Resistance to poison, Deal 2 poison damage on all attacks (increase with proficiency. Once a day you can make a poison attack (vs con; poisoned condition and additional effect tbd)
Vehicular Natural Armor, expertise with vahicles, shatter 1/day (rises with Proficiency; 2@3, 3@4, etc)
Sickness/Disease You regain 2 hp every turn. Once you regenerate 6hp you can't regenerate anymore until the next day. Once you get hit die, you regain (proficiency bonus) HP every turn, up to a maximum of your Hit Die's max roll. Once you exceed that limit, you lose that hit die. Once you lose all hit die you cannot regenerate until you get Hit die back.
BurnedResistance to fire, produce flame, Burning Hands 2/day (grows with proficiency)
DrownedWater Breathing, Swim Speed, Create and Destroy Water. (at will; but you only have 10 gallons per hit die before you start taking levels of exhaustion; you can create/destroy existing water to balance out? Ei, create water, then destroy water means you’re back to 0 and can now create or destroy again for free without gaining exhaustion. Once you create too much/destroy too much, you start taking exhaustion).
SuffocatedGust, Jump at/will, Warding Wind 1/day (rises with proficiency (2@3, 3@4, etc). Can hold your breath three times as long.
Buried or CrushedResistance to bludgeoning, STR+2, meld into stone 1/day (rises with proficiency bonus; 2@+3, 3@+4, etc)
Fell a Great Distance Resistance to Fall damage, mage hand, Feather Fall 2/day (rises with proficiency)
ElectrocutedResistant to Lightning, shocking grasp, absorb elements (at/will; Lightning only)
AccidentHalfling Body, Luck Feat, 1 Portent Die (as divination wizard)
Put to DeathUndead Body, speak with dead at/will, chill touch, advantage on death saving throws.
Froze to DeathResistance to cold, sculpt ice (sculpt water), ice knife proficiency/per day, immune to extreme cold weather effects
EatenAnimal Body (or Monstrous Humanoid if cannibalism), resistant to piercing damage, you can eat most anything

Then I have some unfinished ones my players have thrown out that I'm not sure I'll actually do but:

Humiliating Death Invisibility prof/day? Other stuff?

Shot into Space

Caught in an Explosion Maybe just burned? Maybe different?

Scared to DeathFrightening Presence?

Starvation This is a good one, I'll work on it

Broken Heart With Respects to Padme.

I also have this one but...

I recognize this is not something some people will want to play with so totally feel free to ignore this or skip it, people play games to escape difficult things in life. That said:

Suicide Changeling Race, You gain a Shadow Familiar. By speaking it's True Name it can turn into an enchanted weapon (customized for PC, grows with experience)

Psyren
2022-01-31, 01:22 PM
Ravenloft is a great Isekai setting since you can basically be warped there from anywhere. They don't even have to "die" first, you can have the Mists surround them right as everything looks hopeless. (It's also pretty much a D&D purgatory analog, so having them actually die and end up there is fine too.)

The chargen stuff I'm more iffy on - if someone really wanted to play a wizard and they end up stuck with 11 Int you run the risk of them checking out of your campaign entirely - but you know your group better than we do.