PDA

View Full Version : Exotic weaknesses or special ways of killing normally immortal monsters?

Greywander
2022-01-31, 08:49 PM
I'm touching up a homebrew undead race for D&D 5e, and one of the traits they have is that they automatically stabilize when they hit 0 HP, and can't be killed except by specific ways. This is partially to balance out the fact that a lot of healing magic doesn't work on undead. I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone can think of some ways of killing these undead that I haven't thought of yet. You don't really need to know anything about 5e for this, I'll do my best to explain it in a system agnostic way. Something I should probably make clear is that this is meant to be a playable race, though you could also expect to face hostile NPCs of this race as well.

Anyway, here's my current list of ways that these undead can be killed.

Massive Damage. Normally in D&D 5e, when a character drops to 0 hit points, they start bleeding out instead of dying immediately. But 5e has rules for instantly killing a character if they take enough damage all in one blow. This is enough to kill these undead as well.

Instant Death Effects. Some effects, such as Power Word: Kill, can kill the target without actually reducing their HP. The target just dies.

Disintegration. Notably the Disintegrate spell, which specifically reduces you to a pile of dust if it drops you to 0 HP.

Body Destroyed by Acid or Fire. The way I've implemented this is that acid or fire damage taken while at 0 HP will instead reduce your max HP, and the undead will die if their max HP reaches 0. Fire is the obvious choice, but I also specifically chose acid because one of the subtypes of undead is a vampire-esque creature who takes acid damage from running water. So dropping them in a river can kill them. (In fact, each subtype has a specific weakness that relates to one of the methods of killing them, making them especially susceptible to that method.)

Being Slain Inside an Anti-Magic Field. The anti-magic field suppresses the supernatural energies that keep the undead animated, allowing them to be killed as easily as any mortal while inside the field. If pulled outside the field before they expire, the feature reactivates, stabilizing them.

Destroying the Lichstone. Each of these undead has their heart replaced by a large black pearl (called a lichstone) that acts as a link to the negative energies that sustain them. Destroying the stone will kill them. The stone isn't vulnerable until the undead is knocked out, and even then it can only be damaged by a magical weapon.

Taking Radiant Damage. Radiant is 5e's "holy" damage type. An undead who gets reduced to 0 HP by radiant damage, or takes radiant damage while at 0 HP, will begin bleeding out like any other creature who gets reduced to 0 HP.

Something I'm sure will get mentioned is cutting off the head. The issue with that is that there are two subtypes (a skeleton and Frankenstein-style patchwork corpse) that can freely remove and reattach body parts, which includes their head. There's also two ghostly subtypes that arguably lack the physicality to lose body parts in the first place, e.g. if you cut off their head it will just evaporate and reappear on their body.

What are some other weaknesses I could give them? I already have some common ones, like fire, and pushing them off somewhere very high (death by massive damage), but it wouldn't hurt to add another one. Maybe we could also add some more niche and interesting methods of killing them?

Khedrac
2022-02-01, 03:33 AM
Looking at common myths about undead could give you a few more:

1: Cannot cross running water.
Perhaps they are slightly water-soluble. Not enough to affect combat, but they will dissolve and/or break-up if dumped in fresh (and/or salt) water over a course of several hours/days/weeks.
This one is more for body disposal once reduced to 0hp by other methods, but dumping on in a sealed container at the bottom of a big lake or the sea might keep them there as it becomes a gamble if they will make it out of the water if they try to escape.

2: Vulnerability to silver.
Silver is actually quite good at killing things, hence modern "silver based nanoparticle cleaning techniques" (no, I don't know what is really meant by that either) but more to the point silver funcitons as an antiseptic making silver cutlery good.
Perhaps make silver weapons do damage like radiant energy - they cannot regenerate it naturally and it can kill them if already at 0hp.

2: Vulnerability to wood.
Same as silver. Oddly enough wood can also be good at killing micro-organisms - wood chopping boards tend to be anti-microbial because the splinters physically break bacteria cell walls. For chopping boards you either want one you can clean really well (i.e. dishwasher) like glass, or wood which is harder to clean but kills bacteria on it.

Mastikator
2022-02-01, 07:14 AM
The pedals of specific flowers, for example they won't even approach a field of these flowers and you you squeeze the pedals into oil and apply it to your weapon it deals extra damage/bypasses regeneration/bypasses immunity/suppresses some ability they have.

Minerals could also work like superman and kryptonite, vampires/werewolves and silver.

Specific religious symbols, a twist could be that it could belong to a long dead and forgotten religion. But for example if you have a certain statue next to your entrance of your home the creature can't attack you, or if it does it loses regen until you die.

Being inside a magic circle could also work, instead of preventing it from entering the creature could enter freely but then it loses resistance/immunity/regen

Vahnavoi
2022-02-02, 03:56 AM
You don't need to kill it if you can bury it deep enough. It's often glossed over in pop culture (see: various illustrations of zombies just bursting through the ground), but ground, especially densely packed, is heavy, and for any corporeal creature of finite strength there is some amount of ground it can no longer lift itself through. So, when im doubt, bury the bastard. Consecrate the ground for good measure. Then put a fence around the area and never go there.

(Also stake them through the chest, tie their legs with a belt, etc. classic ways of ensuring they won't get back up again.)

Eldan
2022-02-02, 04:36 AM
You don't need to kill it if you can bury it deep enough. It's often glossed over in pop culture (see: various illustrations of zombies just bursting through the ground), but ground, especially densely packed, is heavy, and for any corporeal creature of finite strength there is some amount of ground it can no longer lift itself through. So, when im doubt, bury the bastard. Consecrate the ground for good measure. Then put a fence around the area and never go there.

(Also stake them through the chest, tie their legs with a belt, etc. classic ways of ensuring they won't get back up again.)

A lot of methods like that, actually, used in the real world.

Staking vampires is actually a thing that was done in the real world.
Well, to corpses that were suspected to be vampires. Usually, you had a disease in town, and people would go to the graveyard and dig up any graves that looked weird and see if the corpses were in strange positions or the coffins had split open or anything like that.

Anyway, staking vampires meant exactly that: pounding stakes through the corpse or skeleton, to nail it to the coffin, so it can't get up. There's other traditions, too, that are known, as far as know, at least from Germany, Great Britain and the Balkans: cutting the head off and putting it between the legs (so the corpse can't see), burying the corpse upside down (so it will accidentally dig itself in deeper instead of digging itself out), breaking the arms and legs, etc.

For special methods of slaying monsters, there's also the traditional way of destroying some special item. There's various examples of that, but think of a Lich's phylactery, Sauron's ring. THe mythological example is Koschei the Immortal, a wizard who hid his soul (or his "Death") away so he can't lose it. Other wizards, I seem to remember, instead removed their hearts from their bodies and hid them to make themselves invulnerable.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-02, 02:07 PM
Other wizards, I seem to remember, instead removed their hearts from their bodies and hid them to make themselves invulnerable.
I think that is what inspired the original magic jar spell in D&D, can't remember which folk tale/legend it came from, might have been Howard or Smith.

For the OP

Hit 'em in the heel. (Achilles).

Keltest
2022-02-02, 06:43 PM
Kill them on a special date, like Halloween. Make The Stars Align or something similar. Basically a big magical background event that pauses their immortality.

paladinofshojo
2022-02-07, 01:56 PM
The pedals of specific flowers, for example they won't even approach a field of these flowers and you you squeeze the pedals into oil and apply it to your weapon it deals extra damage/bypasses regeneration/bypasses immunity/suppresses some ability they have.

Wonder if weapons made of mistletoe can kill the gods…

Grim Portent
2022-02-07, 08:45 PM
Sprinkling them with holy water while reduced to 0 hp would probably fit.

Killing them exactly as dawn breaks or when the sun is at the highest point during the day, the moments the sun is symbolically empowered.

Throwing them into the river Styx or an equivalent transitory part of the afterlife.