PDA

View Full Version : Giant (Space Hamster) in the Playground

UserClone
2007-11-21, 09:42 PM
Ok, so I was perusing my buddy's copy of Dragon#175, and I couldn't help but notice the Giant (or someone else who is suspiciously named Rich Burlew) mentioned as having submitted the longest species name of any species of Giant Space Hamster, and because I would have to assume that the longest one printed would be his, I have to share this:Subtropical Amphibious Crimson Displacer Shrieking Transparent Fomorian Groaning Aboriginal Lamia Heavy War Gelatinous elder Dun Berserker Blood Sea Heucuva Heucuva Guardian On-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People-Eating Astral Ixitxachitl Shambling Vampiric Beholder Rust Poisonous Slithering Volcanic Storm Tri-Flower Flumph Thessal Spitting Cockatrice Paisley Super-Genius Abjurer Blink Faerie Throat Leech Rotting Teenage Mutant Ninja Ju-Ju Republican Charioteering Interposing Glaive-Guisarme All-Beef Patty Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Onions on a Sesame-Seed Bun Goblinoid Fire-Retardant Anchovy Death Great Wyrm Myopic Megalo Giant Space Hamster of Fear and Flame.
This is just one of those things that when you see it, you have to share the joy and mirth. I wonder, though, does anyone here know for sure if this was OUR Rich Burlew? I'm half expecting someone to challenge TDPPDC with a statted homebrew of this thing, and I would LOVE to see it in an OotS strip, too!

Icewalker
2007-11-21, 09:56 PM
I would assume that it's him yeah. Probably not a lot of Rich Burlew's running around, and he has had part in some publications (there are bonus OOTS strips in Dragon Magazines after all).

Hmmm...statting that thing out....

Fax could probably do it if anyone can. I mean, considering That Damn Crab.

TheLogman
2007-11-21, 10:27 PM
Ummmm, ya. About half the words in the Hamster name are monsters, which would require a template for each of the monsters involved. 1/3 of the words are just nonsense. And finally, 1/6 of the words are Adjectives that have really no bearing on the monster itself. Also, it apparently is not a hamster at all, but a weapon sandwich.

UserClone
2007-11-21, 10:35 PM
I'm not saying I'm insane enough to attempt to stat out a creature whose name includes both All-Beef patties and the suffix -of Fear and Flame, just that it could be fun to see the results of such. Also, for the record, my little sister is a weapon sandwich, and therefore I am offended by your comment, on her behalf.:smallannoyed:

bosssmiley
2007-11-22, 01:16 PM
I remember that editorial! We used to have a geeky competition as to who could get the furthest through it without cracking up. :smallbiggrin:

Truly, the Giant's genius is timeless!

Eggy demands a Megalo Myopic template for Magoo-ish kaiju goodness!

Chronos
2007-11-22, 01:55 PM
Did Giant Space Hamsters (miniature or otherwise) ever officially make it into 3rd edition?

SoD
2007-11-22, 02:02 PM
Well, I'm relatively certain they didn't make it into 3.5 at least.

bosssmiley
2007-11-22, 02:39 PM
Did Giant Space Hamsters (miniature or otherwise) ever officially make it into 3rd edition?

One of the Dragon retro issue editorials suggested you use the stats for Dire Wolves, but with s 20' dig speed. That's as official as they ever got AFAIK.

AslanCross
2007-11-22, 07:45 PM
I wonder what the sesame seed bun template does. And the pickles!

I'd really love a Miniature Giant Space Hamster, however. He'd probably be a Tiny Magical Beast (Extraplanar) or something.

UserClone
2007-11-23, 08:14 AM
Really? I would have thought Huge, not Tiny. But I never actually used Giant Space Hamsters (or 2nd Edition).

AslanCross
2007-11-23, 08:23 AM
I said miniature Giant Space Hamster, like Boo in Baldur's Gate. :smallbiggrin: Of course the Giant Space Hamster would be Huge. Or colossal.

Now that would be terrifying. Cosmic Hamster. Hamsterthulhu? :smalleek:

hewhosaysfish
2007-11-23, 08:55 AM
I said miniature Giant Space Hamster, like Boo in Baldur's Gate. :smallbiggrin: Of course the Giant Space Hamster would be Huge. Or colossal.

Actually, Tiny is the size of a cat; Boo would be Diminutive. And I always imagined Giant Space Hamsters as Medium, making them one size category larger than gnomes. Why is that important, I hear you cry? Because, apparently, in the Spelljammer setting gnomes would ride into battle on GSMs just as their ancestral foes, the kobolds, would ride on Dire Weasels (and still do). I'm not sure which is sillier.
Medium size category would still be quite giant for a hamster. Of course, they could be Large, allowing gnomes to ride on them as we would an elephant (rather than as we would a horse).
If Giant Space Hamsters were any bigger than that it would just be absurd. :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2007-11-23, 08:59 AM

Oh, I thought you meant "Giant Space Hamster" miniature, as in a figure of a GSH. Giant Space Hamster Miniature Battles FTW!