PDA

View Full Version : Puppet Smite

Rev666
2022-02-02, 09:45 AM
So the Blood Curse of the Fallen Puppet allows you to make a creature thats knocked unconscious make an attack before it hits the ground.

What happens if you use it on a paladin ally who has spell slots over and can Divine Smite. The rules say you "can" smite when you attack a creature but dont specify that you have to will it.

Does the Blood Hunter control the body so chooses to smite?
Does the paladins player choose to expend a smite should they happen to hit this bonus attack?

Also a sub question; assuming extra damage is allowed on this Blood Hunter controlled attack, is a rogues sneak attack allowed as well?

Burley
2022-02-02, 09:52 AM
I'd say "no." It doesn't say the effect happens before they're unconscious. You're reacting to them going to 0hp (unconscious). An unconscious paladin wouldn't be able to burn the spell slot to smite.

I'd also say a Ranger's Hunter's Mark wouldn't work, because they'd lose concentration on the spell when they hit 0hp.

Rogue is interesting, though. There's no additional activation to the sneak attack damage, so, if the rogue would have advantage (or there's a conscious ally adjacent to the target) I think you could Puppet Sneak Attack.