PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Essential Information for the DM

Kurt Kurageous
2022-02-02, 10:23 AM
I posit that the fundamental challenge to the DM at table is the rapid access to essential information.

What information do you view as essential at table, and how do you manage it?

Dalinar
2022-02-02, 10:35 AM
I posit that the fundamental challenge to the DM at table is the rapid access to essential information.

I'll argue about this for a second. That's *a* challenge for DMs, sure, but some have bigger issues, whether it's ensuring the players are getting along and having fun, or perhaps their design chops are lacking and they need to improve that, or some other aspect of their game needs refined before worrying too much about "oh I forgot X."

To answer your actual question: my DM relies on a mix of physical notes for long-term plot development, monster stats via either flashcard (for physical tables) or monster tokens (for virtual tables), some improv skills, and occasionally relying on the players to remember things. I have almost zero DM experience, so I'd imagine I'd do likewise, except I'm bad with physical notes so probably less of that.

Catullus64
2022-02-02, 10:38 AM
I don't know if I consent to the grandiosity of calling this "the fundamental challenge." The fundamental challenge is to run a roleplaying game and have fun.

But certainly it matters a great deal. I would say that from my own experience, the most important information has to do with the players' emotional response to a given situation. If you know that, then you know whether to change things up, stay the course, stay the course but with different language, or re-jigger your existing plans into new shape. The question a DM should constantly be checking on is "Are the players having fun?" and if the answer is no, "Are we doing something necessary for them to have fun in the immediate future?". Many catastrophic games occur when the DM is more concerned with some procedural question or story structure than with these questions.

As for more technical information, like maps, creature statistics, spell & item descriptions, NPC names and characteristics, surprise, initiative, travel pace... these things are mostly a matter of preparation. The rules which are really important to running the game are fairly simple.

Burley
2022-02-02, 10:45 AM
My fundamental challenge is balancing focus with freewill. I want my friends to talk and share stories, but I also wanna play the dang game, y'all.

To your point, though, I struggle using premade modules because I never seems to have all the relevant details in my notes and that little character trait I forgot ends up being some plot point for something else. I got burned on this a couple times in The Wyld Beyond the Witchlight, which has awesome character note cards, but so many characters are frontloaded into a small space.

Things that I like to have on hand when I'm not using modules are character's passive insight and perception, which characters have the strongest/weakest of each ability and NAMES. When we play in Zoom, we all change our screen names to CharacterName/PlayerName.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-02-02, 10:50 AM
My experience tells me that for me, the essential stuff includes:
* passion. Those sessions I was excited for went well. Those that I was meh about generally went less well.
* a focus on the players and their fun. This means knowing what they like and being willing to throw out planning in favor of something they find more interesting.
* the ability to improvise. Rolling with the ideas, spring-boarding off of what the players say and do allows things to be dynamic and interesting.
* a deep and abiding knowledge of and interest in the setting. Cardboard stage backdrops tend to outlast their welcome pretty fast. This also helps improv, since you're already steeped in the world so you know what's plausible. It also helps with passion, because you're tied to the world you're portraying.
* a trust in the players and the trust of the players. Without this, no satisfactory game is possible.

Rules? Tables of information? Mechanics? Getting things "right"? Yeah, those only matter to the degree that the party thinks they matter. Which, in my experience, is way less than most people think. Doing something is better than sitting around waiting for the right thing. And if rules become weapons over which to fight, the game is sunk.

Demonslayer666
2022-02-02, 12:26 PM
Laptop with Google Docs open on a tab to my session notes. It has a recap of last session and notes for what I planned out this session, including links to info (maps, wikis, etc.). I like to write out detailed descriptions here.

Another tab open to notable NPCs. Another open to Google search, ready to type in "D&D 5e _____".

A tab open to each creature they are likely to encounter this session, or bookmarked in the Monster Manual. I familiarize myself with them and come up with their tactics before the session.

I keep the PHB and DM's Guide handy, but I find google search more useful.

I take notes the old fashioned way with paper and pencil, and sometimes record the session so I have that info for next session and can write the recap. Th notebook is also used to track damage on enemies.

I used to use a DM screen, but have gotten away from that. I use a cheat sheet that has important stuff: movement costs, object interaction examples, light sources, resting, traveling, Cover, Exhaustion levels, putting on armor, and healing potions.

I consider myself very familiar with the rules, so I guess you could also say learning the rules is pretty important to near instant access.

Kurt Kurageous
2022-02-02, 12:48 PM
I'll argue about this for a second. That's *a* challenge for DMs, sure, but some have bigger issues, whether it's ensuring the players are getting along and having fun

I agree that the objective is to have fun. The fundamental challenge for the DM is having what they need to keep it fun.

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-02, 01:11 PM

What information do you view as essential at table, and how do you manage it? That's a core challenge (particularly with published adventures) but my core challenges start with:
1. Everyone shows up
2. Everyone shows up on time
3. Each player bothers to get into their character and know its abilities well. (Example. I still have a monk player who forgets that on a short rest, yes, your ki points do regenerate. That PC has been a monk since level 1, is now level 8). *face palm*
4. (Once combat starts) Everyone is ready to play when it is their turn.

Getting all four of those to be satisfied is what still frustrates me as a DM. I think it frustrates me because those are habits that I have as a player.
I show up (or I call / text ahead and say why I can't).
I show up on time, ready to play.
I dig into my character because I want to make use of all of its features, to include background features. I ask the DM about this, that and the other ahead of time (usually, some stuff still surprises me when it comes up...).
I am ready to play when it is my turn. (Occasionally I get interrupted by my wife while I am playing on line, she does not consider my game time to be 'fenced off', or, I forget to take my mic off of mute :smallfurious: since she begins talking regardless of what I am doings and I need to mute the mic so as not to interrupt the other players).

I have some experienced players who still can't be bothered to really know their one PC.
I always have the offer of "email/text me if there is something about your class/skill/spell/feature" that you'd like more explanation for. I have two out of 15 players who avail themselves of it - special case (positive) is my brother. He I talk about this stuff all the time since we DM in the same world (his).

(But the tool you shared with me is quite handy, thanks! :smallsmile: )

Burley
2022-02-02, 01:32 PM
Also, if I can shill a 3rd party product: Having D&D Beyond has all but eliminated "the fundamental challenge [of] rapid access to essential information" for me. I can look up everything relevant about every monster and class and spell and, if we're all playing in DDB, I can check player character sheets and rolls to make sure everything is above board.

Technology is a marvel, y'all.

Telok
2022-02-03, 02:24 AM
That's a core challenge (particularly with published adventures) but my core challenges start with:
1. Everyone shows up
2. Everyone shows up on time
3. Each player bothers to get into their character and know its abilities well. (Example. I still have a monk player who forgets that on a short rest, yes, your ki points do regenerate. That PC has been a monk since level 1, is now level 8). *face palm*
4. (Once combat starts) Everyone is ready to play when it is their turn.

<stuff>

(Occasionally I get interrupted by my wife while I am playing on line, she does not consider my game time to be 'fenced off', or, I forget to take my mic off of mute :smallfurious: since she begins talking regardless of what I am doings and I need to mute the mic so as not to interrupt the other players).

I feel your pain, on both parts.

Across multiple campaigns & systems:

* Rules cheat sheets, on a clipboard, with sticky-note tabs for fast access. Anything I want to look up twice or more goes in there.

* Prepped maps with keys & unique monster stats/notes. Also the "visited towns & reputation notes right behind the big over-map.

* Npc stats (the important ones, not rando guards or such), stapled & grouped by area, open to the current area.

* The campaign beastiary. I keep it down to about 30 general use stat blocks, customized or with variant notes (ex: "mage->priest= +25hp, int<->wis & dex<->str, ac is armor, wp is mace, spells=..." and just leave everything else the same two casters with one added line).
* The random names lists, about two or three pages worth, categorized.

* Dry erase magnetic whiteboard & strip magnets with PC names & "group 1", "group 2" etc. Really useful for group/initative tracking & changing plus hp totals & effects.

* A small spiral note pad, with a (fresh) pen on a chain. Started that years ago & kept the habit. Really its the cap on the chain and I just replace the pen as needed.

OldTrees1
2022-02-03, 03:13 AM
Context: The party's decisions have consequences and they are combining encounter A and encounter B.

Quick math: What is the difficult of the combined encounter?

LudicSavant
2022-02-03, 11:21 AM

What information do you view as essential at table, and how do you manage it?

When DMing on online tabletops, I frequently hide my notes on the GM layer, right around wherever I expect to need them on my hand-drawn maps. Monster stats, environmental descriptions, the like. Minimizes the jumping around tabs.

Sorinth
2022-02-03, 11:31 AM
Context: The party's decisions have consequences and they are combining encounter A and encounter B.

If this new A+B encounter is the consequence of player decision why does it matter what the difficulty is?

If it's too deadly, well that's the consequence, they should retreat and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

Sorinth
2022-02-03, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the premise. But in terms of quick access I tend to have.

Random names (Usually split into categories including monsters in case they want to turn a combat into a social encounter) as well as random personality and mood.

For planned NPCs/factions I usually have a note card with information about them with things like current goal(s) and mood (If not random) accessible at a glance and more detailed info available fairly quickly.

For any planned/likely encounters I'll have note cards for NPC/Monster stat blocks so that it's relatively quick to grab/use during combat.

Demonslayer666
2022-02-03, 12:01 PM

There's not enough information provided to answer your question. Are A and B easy, medium, hard, or deadly encounters?

It's also important to know how many combatants there will be. Doubling the encounter by the party size will make it much harder for the party to deal with, however, combining two single combatant encounters isn't that bad.

Easy e
2022-02-03, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I am a fairly experienced GM for various RPGs, and as I play more and a wider range of RPGs I find that the answer more and more becomes..... nothing?

The more I play, the more I realize it is focusing on the players and reading what is going on with them that is way more important than any "behind the curtain" notes. If you mis-recall a detail, the players will be sure to remind you. :smile:

In my mind, instead of information you need to be clear with a certain mindset/approach in order to be a great GM.

Telok
2022-02-03, 01:48 PM
If you mis-recall a detail, the players will be sure to remind you. :smile:

What, your players take notes and remember npcs or something?

I"ve had pcs overhearing some military authority in a frontier fort grouse about a particular tribe of gnolls causing problems, they go wandering the wilderness to genocide the first tribe of gnolls they stumble across, then two weeks and three lizard man & undead dungeons later they end up 120 miles away in a fishing town trying to "turn in the gnoll quest" to a confused mayor who has a giant crab eating the local fishermen. I'm just happy if they can remember what happened in game last week and where they left thier character sheet.

OldTrees1
2022-02-03, 01:51 PM
If this new A+B encounter is the consequence of player decision why does it matter what the difficulty is?

If it's too deadly, well that's the consequence, they should retreat and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

1) The GM's descriptions of the world are the eyes of the players. It is harder for the players to realize it is too deadly if the GM doesn't realize it.
2) If the GM can tell in advance if the combined encounter is feasible vs too deadly, then they won't be shocked part way in.
3) It also works in reverse, if the party figures out how to split an overwhelming force enough, then you can realize when it becomes feasible and start making plans for victory.

There's not enough information provided to answer your question. Are A and B easy, medium, hard, or deadly encounters?

It's also important to know how many combatants there will be. Doubling the encounter by the party size will make it much harder for the party to deal with, however, combining two single combatant encounters isn't that bad.

You are right that in 5E it is a complicated calculation to make quickly. Having the information needed (including the formulas) to make that calculation is valuable reference material in my opinion.

In 3E you could summarize most of that into 2 equations when doing quick math.
2* f(x) = f(x+2)
f(x) + f(x+2) = f(x+3)
However 5E is more flat and thus the number of combatants matters more. So you could include the number of combatant's multiplier chart and use this equation.
(f(x)/g(x) + f(y)/g(y)) * g(x+y)

Easy e
2022-02-03, 01:56 PM
What, your players take notes and remember npcs or something?

I"ve had pcs overhearing some military authority in a frontier fort grouse about a particular tribe of gnolls causing problems, they go wandering the wilderness to genocide the first tribe of gnolls they stumble across, then two weeks and three lizard man & undead dungeons later they end up 120 miles away in a fishing town trying to "turn in the gnoll quest" to a confused mayor who has a giant crab eating the local fishermen. I'm just happy if they can remember what happened in game last week and where they left thier character sheet.

LOL.

I was thinking more mechanically. It is like the "Darkvision" meme. If you narrate darkness, a party member is always quick to pipe up and remind you that they have darkvision. :smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-03, 02:04 PM
What, your players take notes and remember NPCs or something? The good ones always do. :smallwink:

heavyfuel
2022-02-03, 02:22 PM
As others have mentioned, I don't think this is THE challenge for DMs, but allow me to answer your question regardless.

Access to information comes in a few forms:

1 - Memory: I could probably tell you off the top of my head the Ability Scores, main equipment, class and racial features, and most used spell effects of most of the PCs in games I run. With these in mind, it's very easy to calculate on the spot what their attack bonus or AC or Passive Perception is.

2 - Estimation: When number 1 fails and you don't remember, say, an NPC's Charisma score, knowing that the NPC is the equivalent of level 5 Cleric should be easy to deduce his save is +4 (12 Cha + 3 prof). Yeah, sometimes you'll get it wrong because it was actually +3 or +5 instead of +4, but that's unlikely to make a difference.

3 - Planning: Having enemies' sheets on hand so that you know their HP/AC/Attack bonus etc. I always DM with my laptop on hand and it's super easy to have some browser/Excel tabs open with this information. I used to keep tabs open for PC sheets as well, but I eventually gave up on those because I almost never checked them due to point number 1.

JonBeowulf
2022-02-03, 03:46 PM
Everything KorvinStarmast said. The DMs greatest challenge is typically the players not actually being ready to play -- whether it's showing up late, (still) not knowing their characters, or not being prepared for their turn in combat.

We've been in an online campaign for almost a year and we have someone who still doesn't know where AC is or how to roll initiative or what actions are available or how much damage their weapon does. :smallfurious:

Now THAT'S the biggest challenge for the DM.

For me, essential information is the AC and PP for each PC, notes of what's happened so far, and NPC/Monster stats (in separate tabs). Useful information is familiarity with the abilities of the PCs and quick access to spell descriptions.

Sorinth
2022-02-03, 05:18 PM
1) The GM's descriptions of the world are the eyes of the players. It is harder for the players to realize it is too deadly if the GM doesn't realize it.
2) If the GM can tell in advance if the combined encounter is feasible vs too deadly, then they won't be shocked part way in.

You are right that in 5E it is a complicated calculation to make quickly. Having the information needed (including the formulas) to make that calculation is valuable reference material in my opinion.

Why? If it's 10 goblins or 30 goblins you aren't going to describe them differently your just going to tell the players how many they see, and they should decided whether that's too much or not.