PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Feature to give all Fighters Maneuvers

Ulsan Krow
2022-02-02, 10:52 AM
My hopefully straightforward iteration on a well trodden Homebrew convention, the 'Battlemaster maneuvers for all Fighter subclasses/Martial characters' concept.

My design goal is as follows:

1. Should be as simple as is reasonably achievable, adding as little new, 'uncharted' content as possible
2. Can be implemented hassle-free with official content, replacing as little existing content as possible
3. Negligible effect on existing class power level (i.e. Be a side grade over an upgrade)
4. Come online as early as possible

Martial Superiority

This feature replaces the Second Wind feature. You learn maneuvers that are fueled by special dice called superiority dice.

Maneuvers. You learn two maneuvers of your choice. Many maneuvers enhance an attack in some way. You can use only one maneuver per attack.
Superiority Dice. You have two superiority dice, which are d6s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest.
Saving Throws. Some of your maneuvers require your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:
Maneuver save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice).

Optional rule: You gain an additional superiority die at 7th level, and one more at 15th level. Consider adding this rule if the Fighter is underperforming in the party, or if the loss of PHB Second Wind outstrips the benefits of 2 superiority dice.

So, what happens to Second Wind? It still exists, but now, as a maneuver.

Second Wind

On your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to draw upon a well of stamina to protect yourself from harm. When you do so, you regain hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Constitution modifier.

Additional Changes (Optional)

What happens to Battlemaster now that Combat Superiority is a part of the base class? At a table without a Battlemaster Fighter this would be a non issue. If the Battlemaster is the sole fighter subclass, just use the PHB Fighter iteration. Otherwise, here is an example of how the subclass may be written with this change in mind:

Combat Superiority

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you continue to develop your knowledge and prowessof martial technique.

You learn three additional maneuvers of your choice. You learn two additional maneuvers of your choice at 7th, 10th, and 15th level. Each time you learn new maneuvers, you can also replace one maneuver you know with a different one.

Your superiority dice turn into d8s. You gain four additional superiority dice at 3rd level, and an additional superiority die at 7th and 15th level.

Optional rule:
You gain two additional superiority dice at 3rd level instead of four, and you gain an additional superiority die at 10th and 18th level. If you believe the Battlemaster is too front-loaded, this may streamline the subclass to a preferable power progression.

Optional rule:
Consider changing the level 15 Relentless feature to regain 2 superiority die rather than 1. With more maneuvers and the loss of Second Wind as a separate resource, it becomes relatively less frequent and less rewarding to burn a potential 8 superiority dice and benefit from a single regained Superiority die. My experience with the PHB Battlemaster is that it is not dominant at this level of play.

Lastly, I tried to improve some maneuvers that tend to be consistently and definitely outperformed by other options.

List of changed maneuvers

Disarming Attack

When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet. If you have a free hand and the saving throw fails by 5 or more, you can attempt to pick up the object as part of the same action.

Lunging Attack

When you make a melee weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to increase your reach for that attack by 5 feet. You can make a 5 foot movement in the direction of your attack as part of the same action. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Pushing Attack

When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you push the target up to 15 feet away from you. If you make the attack with a melee weapon and the saving throw fails by 5 or more, you can push the target in any direction.

Sweeping Attack

When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would hit the second creature, it takes damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die. The damage is of the same type dealt by the original attack.

Tactical Assessment

When you make an Intelligence (Investigation), an Intelligence (History), a Wisdom (Insight) check, or a Wisdom (Perception) check, you can expend one superiority die and add the superiority die to the ability check.

Lastly, in conjunction with these changes, I would recommend allowing the Martial Versatility feature (from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything), at least for maneuvers. At the very least, permit the replacement of maneuvers. As a reminder:

Martial Versatility (Optional)

Whenever you reach a level in this class that grants the Ability Score Improvement feature, you can do one of the following, as you shift the focus of your martial practice:

Replace a fighting style you know with another fighting style available to fighters.
If you know any maneuvers from the Battle Master archetype, you can replace one maneuver you know with a different maneuver.

Please do let me know of what you think. All feedback for any element of it, positive or otherwise, is greatly appreciated.

Saelethil
2022-02-02, 12:07 PM
I agree that fighters should all have the option of using maneuvers more. I went about it a little differently in a thread a little while back https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?641392-Fighter-amp-Monk-alternate-additional-class-features&p=25336699
My thought was that it would be a replacement for a fighting style so it should be something useable pretty much every turn. Numerically it’s a slight buff in tier 1 but levels out as soon as extra attack comes into play.

Ulsan Krow
2022-02-02, 10:45 PM
I agree that fighters should all have the option of using maneuvers more. I went about it a little differently in a thread a little while back https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?641392-Fighter-amp-Monk-alternate-additional-class-features&p=25336699
My thought was that it would be a replacement for a fighting style so it should be something useable pretty much every turn. Numerically it’s a slight buff in tier 1 but levels out as soon as extra attack comes into play.

I do really like nonfinite resource feats, bonus action feats like Cunning Action I really like. But I would say I would prefer not to have to trade Fighting Style for maneuvers at all. If superiority die really do feel too weak and scarce with Superior Technique and Martial Adept right now (which I do think it does) my personal go-to is just to increase your die per short rest to 2 per feat (and Superior Technique gets to pick 2 maneuvers instead of the 1 it currently knows)

I also just wanted for my design to stick to how Superiority die currently work to make using it easy and uncontroversial/not look so homebrewy.