PDA

View Full Version : "Leader" type Paladin - Any good 3rd party/homebrew options? Homebrew suggestions?

Laevatein
2022-02-02, 03:36 PM
Just had the thought that since Charisma is an important stat for paladins, they should make good leaders (characters that immediately come to mind are King Arthur, Captain America and Wonder Woman), but official 5e material doesn't have an archetype revolving around being a leader (unless you count the Oath of Conquest). So is there any good 3rd party/homebrew material revolving around that, or how would one go about homebrewing one? My first idea is to give them some of the Battlemaster fighter manuvers, but beyond that nothing's coming to me.

nickl_2000
2022-02-02, 03:53 PM
I don't think you really need to homebrew.

You could do it with a Hexblade 1/2 and Oath of the Crown. Since you are a hexblade you can use Charisma for your attack, meaning that you don't need as high of AC. If you play a dwarf then you can go 13 strength and have extra for Cha and Con.

Then you chose your spell based on thing that help others.

LudicSavant
2022-02-02, 03:59 PM
Just had the thought that since Charisma is an important stat for paladins, they should make good leaders (characters that immediately come to mind are King Arthur, Captain America and Wonder Woman), but official 5e material doesn't have an archetype revolving around being a leader (unless you count the Oath of Conquest). So is there any good 3rd party/homebrew material revolving around that, or how would one go about homebrewing one? My first idea is to give them some of the Battlemaster fighter manuvers, but beyond that nothing's coming to me.

What exactly are you looking for in a "leader"? Like, a 4e Warlord or 3.5e Song of the White Raven-type deal?

Well, I had a "White Raven General" build lying around somewhere that was supposed to be a sorta Warlord-style support frontliner.

It was a Glamour Hexbard build. It was a sort of Booming Blade Warcaster lockdown frontliner that freely switched up who was engaged/disengaged from the fight while pumping them full of more temp HP than they knew what to do with. On top of being a full caster.

Walking away from this guy would hurt, and even after you did it, he'd just disengage everyone else as a bonus action and put you right back where you started. And that was before he even took out his full casting suite. Or even used any Actions.

I never did get around to posting it on the Eclectic Builds thread. Maybe I will do so.

For a different kind of leader, I've got a Paladin right here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24941211&postcount=938) that sort of operates as a ninja strike team leader, transforming the rest of the party into a stealthy alpha strike team just by being there.

And of course, the Inspiring Leader feat is just kind of generically good for Paladins in general. And all of them can support parties with their auras and buffs.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-02-05, 01:03 AM
My Paladin is a Hexblade 2/ Redemption Paladin 16. Inspiring Leader and Martial Adept with the Bait and Switch maneuver. Find a sword of the Paruns if you can manage it.

My idea of a leader Paladin is to be the first in and the last out of a fight, if your team is falling apart around you you're not doing a good enough job.

Kane0
2022-02-05, 01:34 AM
Whats wrong with conquest or redemption? Good Cha paired up with the fighting style and/or feat for a few maneuvers or a dip into battlemaster or even something like mastermind rogue. Maybe ask DM for access to the UA tandem tactician feat?