PDA

View Full Version : Turning feats into fighting styles - Charger, Grappler, Tavern Brawler

Mastikator
2022-02-02, 07:01 PM
I had this idea that some feats could work better if they were just converted into fighting styles (available to fighters, rangers and paladins)

Charger works as is
Grappler skip the prerequisite
Tavern Brawler skip the +1 str/con

Any character that wants to spend a feat can still take then via Fighting Initiate, though I'm tempted to say that Fighting Initiate should also be a half feat (str or dex)

Would people take these? Can they even be saved? Are they just a waste of paper?

Zhorn
2022-02-02, 08:00 PM
Charger as it exists in RAW always seemed like a trap option to me.
It's not compatible with extra attack (conflicts with action)
It's not compatible with cunning action dash (conflicts with bonus action)
It's not compatible with mounted combat (requiring your own dash, not the mount's)

It might be a bit too buffed to be a fighting style, but for my table I've homebrewed it into two separate bullet points with a minor tweak to the conditional wording
You are skilled in utilizing momentum in combat. You gain the following benefits:

When you or a mount you are riding takes the Dash action, you can use your bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or attempt to shove a creature.
If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line towards a creature before attacking, the next strength based melee attack you make can have either of the following benefits; you roll one of the weapon's damage die an additional time and add it to the damage total on a successful hit, or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

Gurgeh
2022-02-02, 10:06 PM
Lumping Tavern Brawler in with the other two is doing it a serious disservice, especially since it combos quite well with the Unarmed fighting style; your bonus action grapple is now giving you free damage at the start of every turn!

Psyren
2022-02-03, 11:13 AM
I would take Grappler as a fighting style, sure.