View Full Version : Playing The Game (Online)

astuertz
2022-02-03, 12:12 PM
My friends and I have been playing 5e on Roll20 for some time. I am the first member of my group to attempt to run a 3.5 game. The stark difference from a DM perspective is that 5e is heavily supported on Roll20, while 3.5 is supported mostly by the community (with an obvious heavy support from Diana P.).

Honestly, while it takes me much longer to prep my 3.5 material (monsters, spells, et cetera), I don't mind the difficult challenge. I get sucked into making macros for everything (since I used to do a lot of programming back in my day). That being said, manually creating character sheets for NPCs and monsters takes a good bit more effort than simply dragging and dropping from the Compendium when playing 5e.

For abilities, spells, attacks, and things I want to be able to go back and reference, I have a pretty standardized way of designing my macros. I think the longest process for me is customizing the spell macros to my liking, using the master list that was either designed by or heavily contributed to by Diana P. For one, I generally like taking out the Spell Check and Concentration Check part of the macro, and have instead relegated this to a separate macro. I generally like to make my macros useable by both PCs and NPCs, but this can be somewhat difficult since they use different attributess (for example, the PCs might us @{str} and the NPCs use @{npc_str}.

I did notice someone made a parser for SRD entries which I never got working (and many others couldn't either). I thought about trying to decipher and fix the original code, but since I'm not an expert programmer, I eventually concluded it would be just as much time to enter everything manually.

Either way, it is reassuring to think that once I have everything set up in one game, I can easily copy that game for later usage.

I'd also be more than happy to share some of my own advice on setting up macros on Roll20. For example, I eventually discovered that if you do a query ( ?{Query Text|Default value} ) and then use it again, it basically works like a variable. I would set up a master macro which contained these queries, and then for each monster, I would include a "call" macro which front-loaded these values. By front-loading the values, you can set the appropriate Default Value, which allows you to use the spell or ability quickly and easily by just hitting enter on each of the queries.

For things like Power Attack, I set up an Attribute called "PA" which queries the amount of power attack using the character sheet, factoring this into my attack macros where appropriate.

I also, likewise, have an attack and spell template that I use as a basis.

Lastly, I try to set up spells in a way that populate the appropriate DC, damage, duration, and so on using the queries. These could be copied onto a character sheet and altered to already contain the correct values, or use the queries to fill those values out using a call macro.

For those of you who play online, do you use Roll20 or something else? Are there any tools you use to help fascilitate the process?

A lot of people have also mentioned a lot of API scripts, but there are very few I actually use myself. I didn't really have much interest in using anything other than Group Initiative and a Calendar API. However, getting better at working with API scripts could potentially make the process faster. But again, given my programming skills, it often fills simpler just to stick to manual entry.

Zanos
2022-02-03, 03:01 PM
I just use FoundryVTT. You need a one time purchase DM license but it runs better than roll20, has more features than roll20, doesn't charge me monthly for poorly maintained features, and doesn't treat systems that aren't 5e like second class citizens. Foundry also supports user made systems, plugins, and since its all in JS you can write new macros in actual code instead of using the terrible macro systems baked into Roll20. I'd recommend it to anyone but power users especially benefit.

That said, I think it will always take longer to prep stuff for 3.5 than 5e. The system is just inherently more complicated. You can soften some of it with automation tools, which Foundry has a good number of, but it's always going to be more work.

RexDart
2022-02-03, 04:12 PM
Those macros sound like they would have come in very handy for our group!

We started using Roll20 when the pandemic started and we couldn't do our usual in-person gaming. About 6 months ago we went back to in-person, though.

Shortly before the move back to in-person, we also moved away from Roll20, which had become almost completely unusable for our GM and some players for technical reasons, and did our final online sessions with a much lower-tech "Discord and a camera pointed at the tabletop" method.

astuertz
2022-02-12, 12:19 PM
Those macros sound like they would have come in very handy for our group!

We started using Roll20 when the pandemic started and we couldn't do our usual in-person gaming. About 6 months ago we went back to in-person, though.

Shortly before the move back to in-person, we also moved away from Roll20, which had become almost completely unusable for our GM and some players for technical reasons, and did our final online sessions with a much lower-tech "Discord and a camera pointed at the tabletop" method.
Indeed. Using Roll20 for 3.5 definitely seems like a labor of love. Personally, I am a fan of Roll20 (but it's also the only platform I've used online).

At the same time, I've been getting quite good at writing API scripts and have been automating a large portion of the process, at least for creating NPCs and monsters.

I want to automate the Spell Macros also, but creating Macros for each spell would take a lot of time, since each spell has it's own details. There is a list of spell macros that has already been made for Roll20, and I just alter each of these in turn to suit my liking. I will probably just create an API script to automatically update each of these, since most of the changes are mechanical. (For example, instead of saying Range Close and then providing information about how to calculate range based on the caster level, it instead actually calculates the range and displays that information. This calculation is the same for every Close Range spell, with the difference being the default value, which is determined by the minimum caster level needed to cast it.)

It's a work in progress.

astuertz
2022-02-12, 12:19 PM
For those who play 3.5 on Roll20, I have been developing an API script to import monsters from the SRD, create skill macros, and even create attack macros. The script works but is still a work in progress; so make sure to read the comments at the top of the script for proper use.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10672575/reviving-srd-importer-by-chris-s/?pageforid=10674542#post-10674542