PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character Help

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 01:39 PM
I decided to build a LG character that follows the laws to a T and use that RP aspect to effect the things I do.

Race - Firbolg (Not set in stone)

I am currently thinking of a crown paladian + whisper bard

The idea is that the laws and words he uses to follow said laws are toxic/deadly to "evil" or "bad" creatures

I picked crown pal for this reason alone -
Tenets of the Crown

I picked whisper bard for these reasons alone -
Psychic Blades
Words of Terror

My main issue is that I have no idea aside from the Azorius Functionary background what other background would suit this character better but I also fell like something about it just feels ...off
like it's missing something and I can't quite put my finger on it all and any help would be greatful. Thanks you in advance!

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 01:48 PM
I decided to build a LG character that follows the laws to a T and use that RP aspect to effect the things I do.

I am currently thinking of a crown paladian + whisper bard

The idea is that the laws and words he uses to follow said laws are toxic/deadly to "evil" or "bad" creatures

I picked crown pal for this reason alone -
Tenets of the Crown

I picked whisper bard for these reasons alone -
Psychic Blades
Words of Terror

My main issue is that I have no idea aside from the Azorius Functionary background what would suit this character better also I fell like something about it just feels ...off
like it's missing something and I can't quite put mu finger on it all and any help would be greatful. Thanks you in advance! Love your general idea.
I have some ideas for assisting you, but first.

What background did you choose? Or is that part of what you are asking help about?
Have you chosen a race yet? (I'll usually recomend a vhuman or half elf for a paladin, or a dragonborn)
What level are you beginning at?
How many in your party?
Who else is in the party?
Are you in a published adventure or a DM's own campaign?
Do you have any idea what level this campaign will last to? Many do not get past 11-12.

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 01:56 PM
Love your general idea.
I have some ideas for assisting you, but first.

What background did you choose? Or is that part of what you are asking help about?
Have you chosen a race yet? (I'll usually recomend a vhuman or half elf for a paladin, or a dragonborn)
What level are you beginning at?
How many in your party?
Who else is in the party?
Are you in a published adventure or a DM's own campaign?
Do you have any idea what level this campaign will last to? Many do not get past 11-12.

1. Azorius Functionary
2. I chose Firbolg but am leaning towards changling
3. 6 I think
4. 4-5 can't qreally remember
5. warlock, mock/cleric, wizard and rogue? I think
6. Dm's own
7. No idea

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 02:16 PM
1. Azorius Functionary
I have no idea what that is. (Sorry, from a source book I do not own).
If you like that keep it, but if you are looking for a change I'd recommend (weirdly) Criminal background (Spy variant) who is a secret agent for the King/Crown. :smallsmile: That fits both Whispers Bard and Crown Paladin thematically.
By all means go with Azorious if it makes more sense to you in terms of feel.
EDIT: OK, I finally looked it up.

Cantrip Friends, message
1st command, ensnaring strike
2nd arcane lock, calm emotions, hold person
3rd clairvoyance, counterspell
4th compulsion, divination
5th dominate person
That fits your theme/concept beautifully. I'll double down and recommend this if you DM allows it. Message cantrip, particularly for a whispers bard or any agent of the crown, looks to be extremely handy. :smallsmile: Hold person? Yes please. Counterspell? Expensive choice. Calm emotions? Yes please, in support of the party ... or dealing with some NPCs.

2. I chose Firbolg but am leaning towards changling
I have no advice to offer beyond that previously suggested.

3. 6 I think
Start P6. Or P5/B1. Second attack is a non trivial benefit.
You want/need Heavy Armor proficiency up front.
Leave Dex at 10, INT 8 or 10, Wis at 10. The paladin level 6 Aura is that good. Go to Paladin 6 at level 7 if you start P5/B1. Then add bard levels to taste.

Start with 16 or 17 charisma and make sure to get Cha to 18 at level 4 since you are preparing to become a bard and getting your command spell to land needs that better Spell save DC to get the most out of it. Also the DC on your two very nice Channel Divinity options. And then your save bonus is +4 on the aura at six.

4. 4-5 can't really remember
OK

5. warlock, mock/cleric, wizard and rogue? I think
OK, they need you to be a front liner, P/B is a good fit.

6. Dm's own
Great :smallbiggrin:

7. No idea
Then I can't really advise on P 6 / Bard X or P8 / Bard X

Delaying the ASI too long might hurt, so I'd suggest P6 B everything else so you can get the Bard features turned on and then get the ASI by 10. Cha to 20 is, again, what I'd suggest you do at 10. At that point, if you have as much Bard as you want you can hit P8/B4 at 12 and get a feat or something.

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 02:22 PM
I have no idea what that is. (Sorry, a source book I do not own.
If you like that keep it, but if you are looking for a change I'd recommend (weirdly) Criminal background (Spy variant) who is a secret agent for the King/Crown.
That fits both Whispers Bard and Crown thematically.
By all means go with Azorious if it makes more sense to you in terms of feel.

I'm going Azorius Functionary which is in Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica for this -

Feature: Legal Authority

You have the authority to enforce the laws of Ravnica, and that status inspires a certain amount of respect and even fear in the populace. People mind their manners in your presence and avoid drawing your attention; they assume you have the right to be wherever you are. Showing your Azorius insignia gets you an audience with anyone you want to talk to (though it might cause more problems than it solves when you're dealing with incorrigible lawbreakers). If you abuse this privilege, though, you can get in serious trouble with your superiors and even be stripped of your position.

Hoping I can flavour it to fit whatever campagin i'm in

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 02:25 PM
I'm going Azorius Functionary which is in Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica for this -

Feature: Legal Authority

You have the authority to enforce the laws of Ravnica, and that status inspires a certain amount of respect and even fear in the populace. People mind their manners in your presence and avoid drawing your attention; they assume you have the right to be wherever you are. Showing your Azorius insignia gets you an audience with anyone you want to talk to (though it might cause more problems than it solves when you're dealing with incorrigible lawbreakers). If you abuse this privilege, though, you can get in serious trouble with your superiors and even be stripped of your position.

Hoping I can flavour it to fit whatever campagin i'm in Now that I finally looked it up, that's a fantastic fit for your thematic set up. Work with your DM to get that to fit into his world. Seems a great idea.

One last note on Bard first level spells.
Dissonant Whispers and Tasha's Hideous Laughter I kept on my (Lore) bard until level 11 and 8 respectively.
There may be other good choices, but I found them both to be useful deep into Tier 2.

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 02:38 PM
I have no advice to offer beyond that previously suggested.

I chose firbolg for one reason alone and that is -
Speech of Beast and Leaf.
You have the ability to communicate in a limited manner with beasts and plants. They can understand the meaning of your words, though you have no special ability to understand them in return. You have advantage on all Charisma checks you make to influence them. The idea behind it is he can even influence even the laws of nature but it honestly is just a place holder rn

Start P6. Or P5/B1. Second attack is a non trivial benefit.
You want/need Heavy Armor proficiency up front.
Leave Dex at 10, INT 8 or 10, Wis at 10. The paladin level 6 Aura is that good. Go to Paladin 6 at level 7 if you start P5/B1. Then add bard levels to taste.

Start with 16 or 17 charisma and make sure to get Cha to 18 at level 4 since you are preparing to become a bard and getting your command spell to land needs that better Spell save DC to get the most out of it. Also the DC on your two very nice Channel Divinity options. And then your save bonus is +4 on the aura at six.

This is very helpful thanks!

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 02:40 PM
I chose firbolg for one reason alone and that is -
Speech of Beast and Leaf.
You have the ability to communicate in a limited manner with beasts and plants. They can understand the meaning of your words, though you have no special ability to understand them in return. You have advantage on all Charisma checks you make to influence them. The idea behind it is he can even influence even the laws of nature but it honestly is just a place holder rn Heh, and as a whispers bard you can ask the pet cat what their owner has been up to, and maybe cajole an answer out of them. :smallbiggrin:

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 02:51 PM
Heh, and as a whispers bard you can ask the pet cat what their owner has been up to, and maybe cajole an answer out of them. :smallbiggrin:

Sure but I was more thinking asking tress to hide us ect also I would only ever take 3 lvls in bard in total the rest of it asside for the spell slots are not that great for the character imo

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 03:18 PM
Sure but I was more thinking asking tress to hide us ect also I would only ever take 3 lvls in bard in total the rest of it asside for the spell slots are not that great for the character imo If you let yourself to to bard 5 you get:
1. 3rd level spells :smallbiggrin: (Bards now (If Tasha's is in play) get slow as a 3d level spell. Handy debuff on the enemy if things come to blows.)
2. Inspiration recharges on a short rest.
That is a very nice party resource.

Paladin 6 Bard 5 with an 20 Charisma is a pretty effective combination, but 8/3 may also fit your needs.

Aah, the tyranny of choice...

JLandan
2022-02-04, 03:31 PM
Definitely go with Firbolg. Changeling by definition is a liar.

For background, maybe City Watch from Swordcoast. It's basically a cop.

Whisper Bard is good choice for your concept. Crown Paladin is good too, but I would put more emphasis on Bard for the spells.

MercCpt
2022-02-04, 03:32 PM
If you let yourself to to bard 5 you get:
1. 3rd level spells :smallbiggrin: (Bards now (If Tasha's is in play) get slow as a 3d level spell. Handy debuff on the enemy if things come to blows.)
2. Inspiration recharges on a short rest.
That is a very nice party resource.

Paladin 6 Bard 5 with an 20 Charisma is a pretty effective combination, but 8/3 may also fit your needs.

Aah, the tyranny of choice...

While you are correct it doesn't "fit" the character although as a player i'd want to get that xD

Xervous
2022-02-04, 03:41 PM
Heh, and as a whispers bard you can ask the pet cat what their owner has been up to, and maybe cajole an answer out of them. :smallbiggrin:

Oh dear it’s Oblivion all over again

KILL ALL THE CHICKENS, NO WITNESSES

KorvinStarmast
2022-02-04, 04:21 PM
While you are correct it doesn't "fit" the character although as a player i'd want to get that xD The Bard 3 dip still has plenty of goodies, and it means that your MC dip is done by level 9, then it's back on the paladin train. Paladins are good from 1-20 to there's no loss that I can see

Willowhelm
2022-02-04, 09:57 PM

I’m not saying don’t make your character and have fun but… it’s pretty hard to be good and follow ALL laws to a T. That’s how you end up with Judge Dredd, not Captain Carrot.

MercCpt
2022-02-05, 04:59 AM
I’m not saying don’t make your character and have fun but… it’s pretty hard to be good and follow ALL laws to a T. That’s how you end up with Judge Dredd, not Captain Carrot.

You make a good point guess I was taking it a little too far

MercCpt
2022-02-07, 10:04 AM
Does anyone have any otherf ideas on how to make my voice/words deadly?

JLandan
2022-02-07, 04:11 PM
Enchanter Wizards have Hypnotic Gaze at 2nd level. That will incapacitate with words or looks. You would get 3 cantrips and 8 1sts. Kind of MAD for your guy though.

Just reviewed Bards spells for "word damage".

Yeah. Totally stick with Bard.
Vicious Mockery, cantrip; Dissonant Whispers, 1st; Phantasmal Force, 2nd.