PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows, But a different damage type

Max Caysey
2022-02-04, 02:46 PM
Normally Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows deals fire dam. I was thinking this could be cool on a paladin, but I don’t like fire… I would like holy or sacred damage… would it be possible to make them with a different damage type and if yes, how much would that cost?

Cheers

Jack_Simth
2022-02-06, 05:03 PM
Normally Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows deals fire dam. I was thinking this could be cool on a paladin, but I don’t like fire… I would like holy or sacred damage… would it be possible to make them with a different damage type and if yes, how much would that cost?

Cheers

It would be a custom item, so the answer to both is "up to the DM."

I would note, though, that Sacred or Holy damage types are MUCH less common, both in sources and resistance, than is Fire. Which would make it much more useful in general.

Jervis
2022-02-06, 07:08 PM

Cheers

It’s a custom item so up the the dm but for my money changing it to ice, acid, or any of the other common energy types is fairly reasonable. For anything more than that you’re likely looking at a substantial price hike. Pure holy damage is almost never resisted, making it half holy energy half fire like flame strike might be more reasonable. For my money a +50% price modifier might be about right.

Max Caysey
2022-02-07, 07:46 AM
I understand how it’s my DMs call, but I was specifically interested if there were any rules suggestion to as to how to handle it… like the price setting of resistance vs luck to save… I thought there might be the same for damage… something like the table on page 285 in DMG…

Balthanon
2022-02-07, 12:54 PM
...something like the table on page 285 in DMG…

Nothing official as far as I know. They specifically said they weren't doing that by design in the Magic Item Compendium because the better method of handling estimation of magic item prices is comparing it to other items that you might use. So your best bet is finding similar magic items and seeing how they change. (One other thing that you will see happen with damage is just reducing the amount of damage something does if it is a non-standard damage type-- sonic damage is usually in d4s rather than d6's, for instance.)