PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need Lore: Crustacean deity

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 04:38 AM
[Resolved]

Looking for something that has more of a serious feel than the likes of Blibdoolpoolp

Needs to be evil, or at least have evil worshipers
Needs to be crustacean like in appearance
Needs to be ocean related

any help from some d&d loremasters out there will be appreciated

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 08:47 AM
If nothing comes of this thread; Kar'r'rga is the current front runner

Draconi Redfir
2022-02-06, 10:00 AM
looking for something pre-existing? or something made up?

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 10:17 AM
pre-existing, hence asking 'loremasters', to dig into the collective memories of past editions, modules and campaigns.

I can make up whatever I like, wouldn't need help on that front. But sorting through the mountains of existing lore is a big task, and not entirely feasible for one person if the books are not easily accessible.
But for the masses? everyone knows at least a little bit, so collectively someone might know the exact god that fills that niche.

And then from there I can look up info on that specific deity, the modules and adventures from the past that featured them, related stories and lore, blah blah blah. The name gets me towards the underlying stuff I can build my adventures around.

I was talking with someone over discord about this earlier today; refluffing and making up your own stuff is faster and easier in the short term, but creates more work in the long run when you start getting more in depth, establishing more details for histories, events, relations, etc. Or keeping track of what you changed from official events to match your headcanon.
Take an existing thing, and then only worry about it from the point of your characters interact with it moving forwards. Then if yo have any questions about the past, you can rely of the official content as a reliable reference.

Draconi Redfir
2022-02-06, 10:23 AM
ahh, afraid i can't help you then. don't know a lot about sea gods. best of luck!

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 10:32 AM
All good. I'm actually happy you asked first.
I've been asking in multiple spaces, and often I'm getting thrown on-the-spot homebrews or references to unrelated deities with the "just change [x] to a crab or lobster"
And I feel like an ungrateful lout in having to explain those are not a helpful responses.

It's like asking "what's a good Mummy movie?" and getting responses like "An American Werewolf in Paris, but pretend it's about a Mummy"

ngilop
2022-02-06, 11:31 AM
First, we need to find out what the dislike about Blibdoolpoolp is and why. Simply because a lot of evil sea crustacean deities have a lot in common and weeding out the parts that might be close to what Blibdoolpoolp has is the first, most important, and actually hardest step. I say hardest because I wager that what you don't like about Blibdoolpoolp, you are probably not going to like about the others.

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 11:50 AM
First, we need to find out what the dislike about Blibdoolpoolp is and why.

Silly name that I cannot say without laughing, and I don't care for Kuo-toa origins (fine with them existing, just don't care for putting that into my campaign as the focus of a character arc from the specific player this is for)

Grod_The_Giant
2022-02-06, 01:29 PM
Silly name that I cannot say without laughing, and I don't care for Kuo-toa origins (fine with them existing, just don't care for putting that into my campaign as the focus of a character arc from the specific player this is for)
When I ran Out of the Abyss, we were hanging around the kuo-toa area for like three real-life weeks and I don't think we ever managed to get through more than two names without breaking down laughing.

My smart-ass says "B'fit y-Tua, the bolder in the sea," but it sounds like you're looking for something canonical (and not silly)?

Grim Portent
2022-02-06, 01:56 PM
If nothing comes of this thread; Kar'r'rga is the current front runner

I think that's the best one you're going to get from mainline D&D canon.

If you're open to MTG gods, the Mythic Odyssey of Theros 5e book has Thassa, a neutral sea goddess who has crab legs, a merfolk torso and tentacle hair. She really likes crabs, and they are among the forms she takes. Not exactly evil, but a neutral sea deity includes all the nasty bits of the sea in their portfolio. Not a whole lot of lore about her though, given that she's a relatively new thing and from a crossover work.

Draconi Redfir
2022-02-06, 02:34 PM
Dagon (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Dagon) from the Pathfinder mythos is both Evil and ocean-themed, though he doesn't meat the crustacean requirement though, apparently he's more of a mix of Fish, Eel, and Octopus.

Played a game where a bunch of Boggards (Frog-people) were worshiping him, and i think their statues represented him as looking somewhat frog-like as well. Perhaps whatever sect of people you're looking for just depicting him as crustacian-like?

Not a perfect fit, but it could be an option on the table if all else fails.

Swami Monsoon
2022-02-06, 07:03 PM
Read up on the lore for the Brine King (boss in the Path of Exile video game).

Zhorn
2022-02-06, 11:53 PM
I think that's the best one you're going to get from mainline D&D canon.
I think so, not finding much else that suits what I'm after.

Thankyou to all who responded.