PDA

View Full Version : half-minotaur template question

Zhepna
2022-02-06, 01:29 PM
Hi,

we play 3.5 and all sources/books are authorized, including dragon magazines.

I want to play the half-minotaur template and I want to confirm certains things because another player say I cannot play it as a PC. He also says that because of this part of the text:

Size and Type: The base creature's type does not change. If the base creature is of Small or Medium size, it gains one size category, becoming Medium or Large respectively. See Creature Size Changer for changes to the base creature when it gains a size category. The changes in this template are in addition to the changes outlined there.

It would be an +1 template but if I increase my size with the mentionned text, it becomes an +2 template.

He also says that it doesn't give +12 strenght.

From my understanding, the template is really good and gives:
+12str, -2dex, +6con, +2wis, -2int, +4NA and a LARGE size all for +1level adjustment and I can play as a PC.

I know some dm doesn't allow the template because it's strong but we try to determine what is the effect of the template.

Thanks a lot for the information.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-02-06, 01:40 PM
If the person disagreeing with the RAW text is the DM, his word, unfortunately, goes, unless you can convince him to change his mind. Otherwise, go with what the template says. If it says it's a +1 template, it's a +1 template. And if it has a level adjustment, it's PC-playable, unless it explicitly says otherwise.

[edit] For reference, it's in Dragon #313.

Doctor Despair
2022-02-06, 02:05 PM
The template is LA +1 if it increases your size.

The template is LA +0 if you are already large.

It does confer the extra bonuses to strength for increasing your size.

It is an exceptionally powerful template. Your DM is well within their rights to veto it.

Elves
2022-02-06, 03:36 PM
It is an exceptionally powerful template. Your DM is well within their rights to veto it.

I would say it's about right for the LA. The evidence is that it's one of the only LA templates people actually take.

The unbalanced part @OP is that if you take half-minotaur and become Large you can also take half-ogre, from the same issue, for free (which becomes quarter minotaur quarter ogre according to Savage Species). That's something that might get you into rightful veto territory.

Rebel7284
2022-02-06, 03:37 PM
If it has a level adjustment, it's technically playable for a player character. That's what LA means...

With that said, Half Minotaur is exceedingly poorly balanced to a point where it makes early levels unfun (speaking from experience).

In my opinion, removing the extra size bonuses for becoming large would make it good, but not overwhelmingly broken.

Mike Miller
2022-02-09, 10:01 PM
It depends in large part on what the character is, as well as the makeup of the party. Having said that, it can be imbalancing at lower levels as already noted. If you are starting at higher levels, it likely won't be nearly as impressive.