PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bladesinger advice needed

athorod
2022-02-06, 04:02 PM
So, the new campaign is starting in a couple of days and I haven't decided on the build yet. I've created the backstory, personality and everything else, I just need the final build.

There are pros and cons with each one, of course, so I will miss out on something as I can't get everything I want.

I want to be able to kick butt in combat with good survivability, and well rounded to both deal damage and survive. So control and AoE are secondary.

I will only play human or half-elf for RP reasons. If half-elf I'll probably take the weapon profs instead of skills.

BUILD 1 vHuman
Stats: 8-16-16-15-8-8
1st lvl feat: Fey touched (misty step + silvery barbs)
ASI 4th: Mobile
ASI 8th+: Dex < Int

BUILD 2 vHuman
Stats: 8-16-16-15-8-8

BUILD 3 Custom Lineage
Stats: 8-16-16-15-10-8
ASI 4th: Res (Con)

BUILD 4 Half Elf
Stats: 8-17-16-16-8-8
ASI 4th: Elven Accuracy

BUILD 5 Half Elf
Stats: 8-17-16-16-8-8

BUILD 6 Half Elf
Stats: 8-16-16-17-8-8
ASI 4th: Fey Touched (misty step + silvery barbs)

Or do you have other suggestions I have overlooked?

Omni-Centrist
2022-02-07, 12:20 AM
Any Possibility for Full Elf? If so, you could pick up a Double Bladed Scimitar to get a bonus action attack, you can also get the Revenant Blade Feat at Level 4 to get +1 AC, +1 ASI (STR or DEX), and make the weapon finesse.

Edit: I like this set up starting Artificer 1 for Con Save and more spells/cantrips, or a ranged weapon version using a Hand Crossbow (start V Human or Cus Lineage for CBE or Sharpshooter)

athorod
2022-02-07, 12:40 AM
Full elf is difficult for RP reasons, and wont that sword end Bladesong as it uses two hands with one weapon?

I thought of going the hand crossbow route, but unfortunately, crossbows aren't included in this particular homemade campaign... I'm planning for a XBE/SS bard in the next campaign.

Omni-Centrist
2022-02-07, 01:03 AM
Full elf is difficult for RP reasons, and wont that sword end Bladesong as it uses two hands with one weapon?

I thought of going the hand crossbow route, but unfortunately, crossbows aren't included in this particular homemade campaign... I'm planning for a XBE/SS bard in the next campaign.

Good point about the DBS, it's not super overpowered so I would ask your DM about it, mine let me use it.

Sucks about hand crossbows, but it's not a huge loss! I would ask about the DBS, since it's thematically appropriate and not overpowered.

Khrysaes
2022-02-07, 04:46 AM
I would do half elf + elven accuracy. Start 17 dex, 16 int. Use a rapier or whip.

By 8th level if you are raising dex first uou have a 20. You can get misty step and silvery barbs as wizard spells.

I also recommend 1 arti, though everything would be 1 level later you wold save a feat on con save prof. That said, at lower levels warcaster is better, and if you dump wis you may want to keep wizard as first level. Arti also get firearm prof, so if that is there but not xbow for some reason.

Alternatively. If the race changes in monsters of the multiverse include selecting the casting stat of the spells you get, you may look into trying to get shillelagh as a cantrip with int as the casting stat. Then, while this is contentious, you can get PAM for a bonus action attack with your quarterstaff

Ah. 2 arti could also get shillelagh as a one use int cantrip via spellwrought tattoo infusion. But 3 and battlesmith would just always apply it, so….

Edit: ok. I found a definitely not AL and may not be allowed option. Definitely needs gm fiat.

In planeshift kaledesh, there is an elf that is essentially the high elf option we have, but +1 wis instead of int, and a druid cantrip wis as casting stat.

Then, if a half elf variant can get the wizard cantrip? Why cant one get said druid cantrip instead?

Finally, assuming monsters of multiverse does change all the racial spells to be selectable casting stats. Select intelligence.

Shillelagh as a half elf with int as a casting stat.

athorod
2022-02-07, 10:11 AM
I would really prefer staying pure class, at least until I've gotten extra attack.

We are initially a five person party where we will have a samurai fighter, armorer artificier and moon druid who I guess will tank in melee, and an assassin who will be a striker.

I am leaning most heavily towards Custom Lineage for RP reasons and feat at 1st.

What I am considering the most is whether or not the MOBILE feat is worth it, and possibly RESILIENT CON before getting dex+int as ASI.

Pildion
2022-02-07, 10:45 AM
Personally I'd probably go with

BUILD 3 Custom Lineage
ASI 4th: War Caster

but change out 4th for War Caster over Res(con), with song up, your already also adding INT to your concentration checks.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-02-07, 03:13 PM
Fey Touched is great; I'm not sure Fey Touched is great for a full caster that already gets the 2 spells in question. If you don't go Elven Accuracy I'd consider Telekinetic. We have a wizard in our campaign right now using it and it helps a lot.

Khrysaes
2022-02-07, 03:16 PM
Personally I'd probably go with

BUILD 3 Custom Lineage
ASI 4th: War Caster

but change out 4th for War Caster over Res(con), with song up, your already also adding INT to your concentration checks.

This could work.

If you are starting and 3rd level or higher, you can drop fey touched for mobile as you can use your spells for misty step and silvery barbs. Take it later if you want.

athorod
2022-02-07, 04:15 PM
Somehow I messed up the starting stats on the custom lineage, it's +2 to one stat, one +1 on two stats, right?

So something like this?:
8-16-14-15-10-8
1st feat: Mobile
ASI/Feats: 4-Telekinetic 8-Dex 12-Dex? (or get telekinetic at 12?)

My trouble assessing though, is exactly how much mileage I will get out of MOBILE? Because with eg. telekinetic at 1, I could get 20dex at lvl 8.

In my head, I'm just seeing myself running in, take a swing or three, running out safe and waiting to do it again. I also believe that since I have 3-4 meleers in my party, that they wont bother coming after me - also because of booming blade - and most will be clogged up in combat with my allies in any case.

But do I really need to be in and out? Will there be enough room to maneuver and attack and escape? Am I tanky enough to just wade in, attack and stay put for the duration of the battle, and use shield or other stuff to get out of combat if needed? We have an armorer artificier who will be in melee who will get hit a lot, I'm guessing.

Gignere
2022-02-07, 04:29 PM
Somehow I messed up the starting stats on the custom lineage, it's +2 to one stat, one +1 on two stats, right?

So something like this?:
8-16-14-15-10-8

My trouble assessing though, is exactly how much mileage I will get out of MOBILE? Because with eg. telekinetic at 1, I could get 20dex at lvl 8.

In my head, I'm just seeing myself running in, take a swing or three, running out safe and waiting to do it again. I also believe that since I have 3-4 meleers in my party, that they wont bother coming after me - also because of booming blade - and most will be clogged up in combat with my allies in any case.

But do I really need to be in and out? Will there be enough room to maneuver and attack and escape? Am I tanky enough to just wade in, attack and stay put for the duration of the battle, and use shield or other stuff to get out of combat if needed? We have an armorer artificier who will be in melee who will get hit a lot, I'm guessing.

No custom is a flat +2 to one ability score.

athorod
2022-02-07, 04:39 PM
Custom lineage race?
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/custom-lineage

Do I have to choose resilient con or WarCaster to btw?

And is it possible getting bladesinger to work without feats?

Is there a "vanilla" dex focused build and the same for int focused build somewhere? Just so I have something to look at and compare? I don't have much experience in 5e...

Khrysaes
2022-02-07, 04:42 PM

So something like this?:
8-16-14-15-10-8

Besides the movement speed, which stacks with bladesinger to bring your movement to 50, the biggest benefit is to not take opportunity attacks when you use that movement speed to run in, then run out. Telekinetic would be good too as the bonus action shove can allow almost the same thing, but works only on one character per turn, and takes a bonus action. Conversely, mobile works with each different attack, so you can get up to 3 at level 6 with extra attack and a bonus action attack if you get one.

Mobile pairs well with booming blade when you target melee characters that NEED to move to attack another creature. Because you have a D6 HD and at most light/mage armor with no shield, until you get some extra armoring options such as magic items and increased Intelligence scores, you will be pretty squishy. When you do take damage you are still squishy. Avoidance would be the smartest long term defense. That said, you do have some spells that can help with mirror image, shield, and some others.