PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a new Dream Druid

Farias123
2022-02-07, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone, so, my friend just invited me to start a new campaign (starting on level 1) with other 2 friends. After talking to them to check what they would play(Fighter and Sorcerer) I decided to be a dedicated healer, since we'd probably need one, also I've been wanting to play a druid for some time, so I chose the circle of the dreams druid because of the balm of the summer court(pool of d6 to heal with bonus action). After taking a look, it seems that the 2 level skill with the correct spells could help me to be a good support/healer, but I wanted some advice on some things.
So, the first one: I considered taking a one level dip in cleric to gain some more cantrips and more prepared spells, as well as the level 1 archetype ability (which I think would fit better the peace cleric because it has that nice support ability, the life cleric one doesn't seem as appealing because a big part of my heal won't come from spells), what do you think about this?
And also, I'd like to know from people who already played as druid, what are the best support/healing spells for someone like me who most likely will be the only one to do these things (unless the sorcerer is the divine soul one)?
Feel free to give your opinions here and talk even about how I could fill a great support role with other feats or anything, thanks in advance guys!

JLandan
2022-02-07, 07:54 PM
How's your CHA? A one level dip in Divine Soul Sorcerer might work nice. Pick spells from Cleric or Sorc list, more cantrips, +2d4 to att or save per short rest. No prep on cure wounds.

And what's your race? Aasimar would work for a dreamy sort. Aasimar healing can be done in wildshape. So can the Dream Druid So can your balm of Summer Court healing.

For Cleric, I like Grave better than Life, especially at low levels. never played a Peace cleric.

Farias123
2022-02-07, 08:46 PM
How's your CHA?
My stats are: STR 8 DEX 13 CON 16 INT 12 WIS 16 CHA 10, so I don't think it would fit a sorcerer(and also there's already a sorcerer at the party, so I wouldn't like to repeat it)

And what's your race?
I'm going to be playing as a winged Tiefling (we are using Tasha's optional rules to manage ability increases)

JLandan
2022-02-07, 10:02 PM
Winged Teifling loses their spells. They don't have much else save for the fly speed. Especially with the stat bonus varient.

Did you consider Fairy from Witchlight? Fly speed and still retains spells. They're small, but Druids can be bigger with wildshape when they need to be. Because they fly at 1st level, they can fly way sooner than a druid wildshaping to fly.

Farias123
2022-02-07, 10:10 PM
Winged Teifling loses their spells. They don't have much else save for the fly speed. Especially with the stat bonus varient.

Did you consider Fairy from Witchlight? Fly speed and still retains spells. They're small, but Druids can be bigger with wildshape when they need to be. Because they fly at 1st level, they can fly way sooner than a druid wildshaping to fly.
I don't think having 2 racial spells instead of resistance to fire damage is really worth it, and really, the tiefling matches my backstory, so I'm actually only looking forward for changing spells or getting new feats for being more support/healerish ya know

Farias123
2022-02-07, 10:14 PM
One more information that I just received, the party's sorcerer is going to be a draconic bloodline one, so it is confirmed that I will be the only healer, what you guys think about it?

TheBrassDuke
2022-02-08, 01:26 AM
I don't think having 2 racial spells instead of resistance to fire damage is really worth it, and really, the tiefling matches my backstory, so I'm actually only looking forward for changing spells or getting new feats for being more support/healerish ya know

It’s so much worthier to grab those racial spells and gain a fly speed. And besides, there are some pretty demonic fey out there who could give a demon a run for their money. Plus, the spells are utility you’d be looking for as a healer/supporter. So right now you’re cherrypicking because you want to be a Tiefling. Cool, that’s fine. I have an immensely powerful Moon Druid, and she’s a Fairy and an aggressive supporter.

Darc_Vader
2022-02-08, 02:14 AM
Something worth remembering is that Balm of the Summer Court isn’t a spell, so you can freely cast with your action while healing with your bonus action in a way that no other class or subclass can really do (besides technically Celestial Warlocks, but they’re much more limited in the casting side of things)

Sorinth
2022-02-08, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't bother with a cleric dip. You have plenty of healing, and 5e doesn't really even need a dedicated healer so I would focus a bit more on the support/control spells.

Farias123
2022-02-08, 06:59 AM
Something worth remembering is that Balm of the Summer Court isn’t a spell, so you can freely cast with your action while healing with your bonus action in a way that no other class or subclass can really do (besides technically Celestial Warlocks, but they’re much more limited in the casting side of things)
Yeah, I thought about that, I think that when I get balm of the summer court i will change my prepared spells from healing word to cure wounds, so I can potentially get the 2 party members up on one turn

Farias123
2022-02-08, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't bother with a cleric dip. You have plenty of healing, and 5e doesn't really even need a dedicated healer so I would focus a bit more on the support/control spells.
So isn't really worth it to delay my spell progression by 1 level?

Sorinth
2022-02-08, 08:12 AM
So isn't really worth it to delay my spell progression by 1 level?

I wouldn't want to delay, at least not early on, maybe after level 5 I would consider a dip.

stoutstien
2022-02-08, 11:50 AM
Dip or not the dream druid is a serviceable healer/support option. I'd find out how your DM rules the whole "start of rest" angle to see how potent that feature will be.

Farias123
2022-02-08, 06:08 PM
Dip or not the dream druid is a serviceable healer/support option. I'd find out how your DM rules the whole "start of rest" angle to see how potent that feature will be.
That's good to know. Idk if the rest ability will be so useful, but anyways is good to have it to be sure of not being picked on during rests.