PDA

View Full Version : Shorthand source blocks

Zeal
2007-11-22, 12:24 AM
Okay, random little question for DMs:

When creating stat blocks for a session, do you write them up in a shortened form, for example the type of stat block both the DMs in my group use (me being one of them):

Monster
HP: --
AC: -- (+- blah, +- blah)
Init: --
Attack: (insert full attack here)
Saves: Fort --, Ref --, Will --
Special: (Both special attacks and special qualities go here)
Notes: (after the special sections is also where we place say...spells, explanations of abilities, etc.)

I'm assuming we're not alone in using something like this, so if you do use a shorthand stat block, what is the layout and such?

reorith
2007-11-22, 12:28 AM
i use a shortened form of the stat block like you guys, unless i'm using a dead pc, or character from another campaign, then i use a character sheet. prepared npcs from the books get shortened to a block too.

Gralamin
2007-11-22, 12:29 AM
Okay, random little question for DMs:

When creating stat blocks for a session, do you write them up in a shortened form, for example the type of stat block both the DMs in my group use (me being one of them):

Monster
HP: --
AC: -- (+- blah, +- blah)
Init: --
Attack: (insert full attack here)
Saves: Fort --, Ref --, Will --
Special: (Both special attacks and special qualities go here)
Notes: (after the special sections is also where we place say...spells, explanations of abilities, etc.)

I'm assuming we're not alone in using something like this, so if you do use a shorthand stat block, what is the layout and such.

I make full Stat blocks, so I can adjust everything on the fly.

By Full I mean the ones in the Monster Manual or The guide to Homebrewing.

Jimbob
2007-11-22, 07:24 AM
I write it all out in short hand, because if I need any other info, normaly when the PC's ask a silly question, I have my faithful MM next to me or on my laptop, depends which im using.

SoD
2007-11-22, 08:35 AM
Keep the MM next to me, keep it open on the laptop as well in front of me, keep my notes in front of me (usually covering the keyboard or on the seat next to me) and open my word document with the details there as well.

I'm disorganised on the spot, but I usually try to complete everything before hand (giving NPCs/monsters HP, abilities, skills, etc.). Also, I work out random encounters and random treasure beforehand.

Xefas
2007-11-22, 09:21 AM
When writing for mooks who are destined to die gruesomely at the hands of the PCs without ever actually doing much, I write in an even simpler block.

Name
HP;Initiative;Speed;AC;Attack;Saves;Special
Treasure

Example:
Human Warblade
11;+1;30;15/11/14;Rapier+4(1d6+2,18-20);4/2/1;Stone Bones
30gp,Rapier,ChainShirt

I can generally remember stuff like size and darkvision. My PCs don't mess with grapple. They don't care about looting some guys waterskin or whatever. Most special attacks never get used, since mooks only live for a couple of rounds. I just need to remember he has Stone Bones (I know from memory what it does), so his attack routine will be 1)Stone Bones 2)Normal Attack to replenish Stone Bones 3) Stone Bones

By then he'll probably be dead.

Now, if the creature has a purpose other than to die, I'll give them something like:

Name;HP; Initiative;Speed
Alignment; personality note
AC (list of AC bonuses); Saves
Attack
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Abilities
Feats/Skills
Equipment

Example:
Human Warblade;11hp;+1;30ft
Chaotic Neutral; Intentional Asshat
15, T11, FF14 (+4 chain shirt, +1 dex); Fort +4, Ref +2, +1
Rapier +4 (1d6 [18-20/x2])
Stone Bones, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Leading the Attack
Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude, Punishing Stance
STR 14, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 12
Weapon Focus (Rapier), Toughness, Balance +5, Bluff +3, Concentration +5, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Local) +5, Ride +2, Tumble +5
Rapier, Chain Shirt, 30gp, two days of rations, waterskin, bedroll

Now, if the NPC is so important that they are likely to be met on multiple occasions and have a large effect on the game/story, or the creature is a Boss or particularly important sub-boss, then I'll go full stat-block for them.

Alternatively, if I'm going to be using straight MM monsters, I'll have a laptop propped open with Mozilla running a tab for every monster I'll be using.

AslanCross
2007-11-22, 09:36 AM
I have them in table format on my laptop. I use OneNote to keep track of them so I don't need to keep saving.

{table]Creature name; Init +0|HP; DR; Regen; etc.|AC X/touch Y/flat-footed Z (<AC breakdown>)|Melee <attack routine> +X (YdZ+A); Ranged <attack routine> +B (CdD+E)|Saves|Skills, feats and spells|Other Special Attacks and Special Qualities[/table]

I use the autocalculator feature to compute for HP, so I usually have the entire sequence of how much damage a creature took each round when combat is over. Special conditions are entered into whichever cell they're most relevant.

Spells are listed down and struck out (for Vancian casting), while for spontaneous casting I just have a series of boxes [][][][][][][] which I strike out as they're consumed.