PDA

View Full Version : Counter-based Martial Adept

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-22, 12:28 AM
I want to build an martial adept that focuses on using counters? Which class is best at doing this thing? Any general suggestions on build would also be appreciated. I have the Winged and Dark template, and have 32 pt. buy. I am undecided on race, but something medium sized and not dwarf is the general thought.

Draz74
2007-11-22, 01:27 AM
I want to build an martial adept that focuses on using counters? Which class is best at doing this thing? Any general suggestions on build would also be appreciated. I have the Winged and Dark template, and have 32 pt. buy. I am undecided on race, but something medium sized and not dwarf is the general thought.

A LOT of the good counters are Setting Sun, which is Swordsage-only. Since counters are swift actions, I think pure Swordsage 20 might be worth it for the capstone ability, if your game is going to go that far. (Probably not, since Winged and Dark mean you have an LA.)

As far as race, everything creative I can come up with has an additional LA. Except Kobold (a Dark Winged Kobold Swordsage catches my fancy!), but you said Medium was preferred. Hmmm. Having trouble thinking of anything nonhuman that seems cool without an LA.

Armads
2007-11-22, 02:11 AM
Warblades are good if you start at level 11 or higher. They have full BAB, which means that they can use stuff like Manticore Parry effectively (swordsages get Scorpion Parry, which is the same, but they have less BAB). They also get access to Diamond Mind, which gives the stance of alacrity. They also have Wall of Blades, which is really really good.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-22, 07:16 AM
Setting Sun counters are probably the best in the book. Halflings make good swordsages, flavour-wise (and, well, they get to use Giant Killing Style on practically any enemy).

Why do you want to play a Medium character, exactly?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-22, 08:32 AM
At this point, I have bought off my LA. This is my cohort I am writing up, though, so he won't be making it past level 18 until I take Epic Leadership.

ZekeArgo
2007-11-22, 10:36 AM
Warblades are good if you start at level 11 or higher. They have full BAB, which means that they can use stuff like Manticore Parry effectively (swordsages get Scorpion Parry, which is the same, but they have less BAB). They also get access to Diamond Mind, which gives the stance of alacrity. They also have Wall of Blades, which is really really good.

Gotta say, Warblade is good if you start at level 1...

Along with the other two ToB classes