PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Spells for Baby Daddy

Nagog
2022-02-08, 12:04 AM
Evening, yall!

Disconcerting title verbage aside, I've been informed that my level 11 Illusion Wizard is to level up next session, and I have no idea what spells to pick up with the level up. Some backstory:

My character is an escaped Drow manservant who was taught illusion magic in dreams by Zinzerena (Neutral Drow Goddess of illusions and assassins and other stuff) who returned to his home when he found out he had an infant daughter to kidnap her, and is now on the run/adventuring with an infant (Mandolorian/Witcher style). He's got a lot of fatherly spells already (Tenser's Floating Disk as a stroller, Leomund's Secret Chest as a diaper bag, Dancing Lights as a sleeping mobile, mending, prestidigitation, and create bonfire for obvious reasons, etc.) but I would love more suggestions for spells to pick up to enhance the vibe. I'm already doing very well in combat for this playstyle, and we also have an Artificer in the party for a lot of general utility, so I feel very open to picking otherwise subpar or useless spells.

Thank y'all so much!

heavyfuel
2022-02-08, 12:17 AM
Maybe Magic Jar? Could be useful to gain some better scores, but then baby will grow up with a weird dad, so maybe not lol

Contingecy is always great for making you alive and able to care for the baby, so maybe that.

SociopathFriend
2022-02-08, 12:19 AM
Feather Fall for obvious reasons

Silent Image to try and quietly entertain the baby

Unseen Servant to attend to the needs of the baby when you're occupied

Arcane Child Lock- self-explanatory

Arcane Child Monitor/Eye- self-explanatory

Levitate for when you need to have a melee brawl and need the baby safely out of harm's way

I feel there's an ethical concern behind me insisting on using mind control spells on a baby and so to avoid pitchforks and torches- not going there

If the baby is in the crawling stages- Locate Creature

Creation would be awesome for making any given bauble or knickknack a child might want- it'll vanish eventually but no baby is gonna have the attention span to stick with that thing for long anyways

Bigby's Child-Ferrying Hand and any DM that says, "Carrying a baby isn't a listed action" has no soul and needs to be staked for the vampire they are

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-08, 12:22 AM
Catnap
Magehand
Alter Self
Detect Thoughts
Featherfall
Fizbans Platinum Shield
Nathairs Mischief

Witty Username
2022-02-08, 12:29 AM
Sunbeam? If I had made an enemy of an angry drow mom and here possible entourage of assassins I would make sure I had full blast brights on hand.

Segev
2022-02-08, 02:08 AM
This thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks) may have some ideas for your illusionist in general in it.

I will point out, in particular, that creation, mixed with Malleable Illusions, lets you cast it in the morning and have hours of soft goods you can keep turning it into. So it's a papoose, then it's a large wooden block to keep your baby safe inside while a fight goes on, then it's a teddy bear that changes into other stuffed animals to entertain her!

A programmed illusion can be a minder, watching the baby and singing lullabies if she stirs fitfully or calling out to you if your baby needs you for some reason. Magic mouths can serve similar purposes, and remember that with Malleable Illusions, magic mouths are reprogrammable, and they last until dispelled, so you can re-use them, even relocating them as part of the adjustment to what they say. Give her a stuffed animal with a mouth that responds to various stimuli and it's like having one of those pull-cord talking toys.

Animate objects can give her some playmates and guardians in a pinch.

Tongues cast on her could let her communicate her needs if she's ever fussy and you don't know why.

In a few levels, mirage arcane will let you create a home for her wherever you go. Designed to your specifications. Shorter duration but more secure and with servants is Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, but mirage arcane lasts for weeks and you can keep repositioning and reshaping it, giving her an entire castle to dwell in if you desire.

Joe the Rat
2022-02-10, 02:57 PM
It's been a few years (like 18), but... sleep.

Because I guarantee she has the lowest hit-point total, and at some point, somebody's going to do it. Might as well be you.

Do you have a familiar? Familiars make decent baby monitors, and can be companions when she's older.

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-10, 03:03 PM
It's been a few years (like 18), but... sleep.

Because I guarantee she has the lowest hit-point total, and at some point, somebody's going to do it. Might as well be you.

Do you have a familiar? Familiars make decent baby monitors, and can be companions when she's older.

Not to dampen the fun but wouldnt that kind of be child abuse?

Segev
2022-02-10, 03:31 PM
Not to dampen the fun but wouldnt that kind of be child abuse?

Not if done responsibly. Fussing after you've done everything you can to comfort her, and she's possibly upset and miserable just because she is overtired? Magical sleep will become regular sleep when the spell wears off, most likely, and she'll be better off for it.

Athan Artilliam
2022-02-10, 03:42 PM
Not if done responsibly. Fussing after you've done everything you can to comfort her, and she's possibly upset and miserable just because she is overtired? Magical sleep will become regular sleep when the spell wears off, most likely, and she'll be better off for it.

Right but as a parent of two kids, this would be a pretty bad slippery slope. What if its colic, or other medical issue etc. Best not to use any magical compulsion on infants