PDA

View Full Version : As You Command OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JbeJ275
2022-02-08, 04:56 PM
Welcome everyone. This is set up for some of the strategizing and all of the OOC discussion, clarifying questions and the like. I've reposted the links to your character sheets here and am going to set up a rudimentary notes page of your realm and army size, as well as your relationships with other powers once such a thing becomes relevant. If you have any ideas for formatting that go right ahead and make suggestions.

Dark Lord : Lamorak, once called son of Marcellian, now son of Mala'kharn.. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2587719)
Spymaster, Archivist and Commandant: Cypher (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2587416)
Faithful Servant: Maiabel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2496694)
Manservant and Squire: Sharkan Kajeem Tyger (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2587472)

I think a lot of the backstory relationships between characters but to deepen that just a little bit I'd like it if one everyone could state what their character's opinion of at least one of the other character's here is. Whether a rival for power, one of the few people you can make your black heart trust, an easily manipulated tool or something else entirely.

This is going to become the database, but ignore most of these for now. This isn't going to turn into a game of resource management or anything, but even dark lord's need to get their forces from somewhere. If there's anything else you'd like me to track, feel free to suggest it.

2 Marcelian Style Human Infantry Units
1 Marcelian Style Light Cavalry Unit

Captured Equipment for 3 Marcelian Style Infantry units
Captured Catapults for 1 Artillery Unit

Captured Marcelian Flagship, The Virtuous, Manned by Pirates. No Marine Complement
Captured Beastclan Greatship, Waverider
Eight Caravels, Skirmishing Fleet

Crumbling Castle
-Basements Partially Searched, Excavation Needed to Continue
Barren Island
-Saltpetre Deposits Identified
-Samphire and Shellfish sufficient to support 2 Units indefinetly

King Marcellian the Younger, Kingdom Ravaged, Shipyards Undergoing Repair, Prestigious Reputation as Holy Warrior, Military Weakened but Intact

Lore Document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZklyCUl4c-EM6uhEptCVOAwhc1Mzpn6FERxU7BS7brc/edit?usp=sharing)

Now I want to open the IC in Media Res rather than starting with a drawn out council meeting, but I don't have a starting mission in particular picked out and I do want this to be largely player driven. I do have some general ideas though. If you tell me what your top priority is IC I'll start you on a mission to achieve that end. Drk Lord gets final say but all comments are welcome.

Link (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?642472-As-You-Command-IC) to the IC.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-08, 07:00 PM
I guess I'll go first.

Sharkan often looks to others in the way of, what they can do for him, if you are of use, he will take a further shine to you. Maiabel is a servant like himself, not competition, more of a complimentary skill set, someone to work along beside to make his own skill set shine brighter. She is worth keeping around.

Cypher though.... as a magical artist, like himself although through study and not natural as himself, he is competition. Healthy or.... otherwise, is yet to be seen.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-08, 09:04 PM
Maiabel, as mentioned, is absolutely loyal to her master. This is mostly because she feels she has no other purpose in life, however. That may change.

For the rest of the group... she probably looks up to Rakshan in a weird way, as he's a more effective manservant than her and she wants to learn from him. Cypher... I'm not sure what she'd think. He seems to be in the same boat as her, someone who lost what was valuable to them thanks to a purge, and she may see him as a kindred spirit - and as a fellow assassin.

Meanwhile, still debating swapping out my Moonstone Mask (which gives me +5 to Spot and Listen as well as Darkvision 30 feet). I'd probably replace it with a Periapt of Wisdom, along with an extra enhancement bonus on her main weapon and armor, and maybe something else that's cheap. Thoughts on that?

MrAbdiel
2022-02-09, 01:34 AM
Lamorak - who is presently trying out titles to go with the new throne, but is presently flirting with "Lord Protector Lamorak Mala'kharn" - has undergone something of a personality shift in the year and change since the disasterous attack on the capital of the Empire. A life of sociopathic self involvement received a blow so fierce it has started to turn inside out, and for the first time he is capable of considering the allies around him as real people with depth and meaning and inner lives of their own. This is an ironic turn around, because it was the devil Mala'kharn's advice to consider others tools and obstacles that has led to this new outlook. Inside the Lord Protector's cracked and welded together psyche, it makes sense to treat people as tools with personalities - since he has forsaken the name of his father and taken up the name of the devil he knew as a literal tool with personality. So this inner circle might be noticing a new intensity in how he looks at people around him. Those with a high sense motive might even be able to discern this is not Stalinist purge-o-vision looking for people to execute, but a genuine inflammation of twisted wisdom. He has selected Maiabel, Cypher and Rakshan because of...

- Maiabel's manifest devotion that preceded his great embarrassment during the Breadriot Rebellion and endured through it; and because after promising once to serve him utterly, she has conformed herself admirably to be a keen and vital instrument. It is possible there are other reasons for his selection of the woman - perhaps even genuine affection - but such sentiments are small, parasite feelings on the goliath host of his primary ambition: the need for power over the world around him, and to validate himself by carving his name on the surface of the world.
- Cypher's exceptional intellect was proven out in his dismantling of the arcane ambush forces during the Dark Miracle, but he also represents a toehold in a realm Lamorak personal has little power over - the realm of academics, and accumulated knowledge, and the power that comes not from strength and speed but from fulcrums, and hypotheses, and compounded, obscure facts. If he is going to forge a braintrust loyal to himself, it will have to issue forth from Cypher. The scholar is a two-edged blade, to him: an indispensable asset who has, however, demonstrated a willingness to betray one king already.
- Rakshan is at once the most enigmatic and predictable of the three. The monk of the tiger-devil-god is a sorcerer with alien powers and an unarmored, arcane fighting style wildly divergent from his own - but he is bound to a code of submission to his tyrant god that transposes remarkably well on the code Lamorak learned from Mala'kharn. But aside from being an exceptionally competant sorcerer and physical opponent, having a trained cook he can trust provides Lamorak with just enough of the ghost of priveledge he grew up with as to make his fall from imperial opulence that much more bearable.

Meanwhile, still debating swapping out my Moonstone Mask (which gives me +5 to Spot and Listen as well as Darkvision 30 feet). I'd probably replace it with a Periapt of Wisdom, along with an extra enhancement bonus on her main weapon and armor, and maybe something else that's cheap. Thoughts on that?

I think the Moonstone Mask would be the hardest to find "in the wild". Considering we're going to be cut off from conventional magical markets for a while, I think it'll be easier to beat up some travelling adventurers and take their armor and weapons than to find one with that specific item. But do what most pleases you! And all other things will conspire to support your choice.

As for things to do, early objectives, I've a few ideas. Off the top of my head:

- We have an "inner court" of PCs, but we're going to need an "outer court" of NPCs who are valuable but not quite as trusted. So whatever we gain or expand on, we should consider trying to attract an NPC to dedicate over it, if it's not specifically our respective jams.

- Our naval assets (Pirate mercenaries and captured enemy flagship) are present, but the pirates won't stick around unpaid for long. We probably need to develop a revenue source for them (maybe fortifying a cove to act as a Tortuga-esque pirate haven for them to live under the protection of the castle. Maybe an Outer Court "Master of the Navy" who is a pirate lord/lady with one foot in legitimate sailorship. Like Barbossa when he's working with the English. Are we not King's men?

- Our biggest asset is the castle, but it's in bad repair and the effort to repair it more fully is going to take years. I've always liked the Lyre of Building magic item, which basically turns a bard into a one man construction team - maybe we need an Master Engineer, and then get a Lyre of Building for him so he can personally crank out several hundred Man-Days of work each week, plus organizing a labor force to do the more technical work.

- We have a little land, and we have an army. We need serfs to work that land and feed that army. We can expect a trickle of dissidents fleeing from the Empire; but if there's a neighbouring kingdom going through turmoil we can poach some refugees out of, all the better. Heck, if we can find a tribe of orcs or something who are willing to take parcels of land, and don't mind an authoritarian boot grinding down on the back of their necks while they do it, we might have to make them an offer. Maybe even one they can't refuse.

- Speaking of the crappy land, a good way to get that land productive quickly would be getting a circle of druids on our side - maybe the kind who are indifferent to mortal suffering in favor of the environmental big-picture. Maybe we can find a grove of druids who are being hunted or hated, and offer them sanctuary?

- Monetizing our ability to give the mad and bad of the world sanctuary is one of our key potentials here. We might want to start paying moles in other kingdoms to disseminate the information that the Unbowed Isle is offering protection for all manner of enterprising ne'erdowells.

Do you guys have personal character projects you'd like to deliniate?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-09, 11:41 AM
Lamorak - A diminished but by no means spent force. He is still the only hope Cypher has of getting revenge on his enemies and tearing down their institutions. Losing Mala'kharn might even be an advantage, fiends wish all mortals to suffer after all, even those in their thrall.

Maiabel - He feels some strong sympathy with her, knowing well the pain of having one's family destroyed by fools serving Marcellian II. However, he must not let that cloud his judgement. The time is long past for her to be a planted agent of the Emperor, but something is not what it seems. She is neither unintelligent nor unwise but yet she follows all orders without the slightest hesitation or question. She may simply be another traumatised victim of Marcellian Ii's regime, but a calculated attempt to ingratiate herself with Lamorak is just as likely. To what purpose, he will wait and see...

Sharkan - A lycanthrope spy from the Gift of the Moon seems highly unlikely, what could they possibly want on the opposite side of the continent? Cypher still doesn't trust him in the slightest though. Sharkan's arcane abilities could plausibly have made him an outcast from The Gift, but he hasn't completely ruled him out as a spy from the Magocracy of Thassalonia or Odrana. He is certainly too charismatic by half and must be watched in case he uses Lamorak's currentlg reduced might to seize control of our remaining forces and carve out his own territory.

Cypher is very happy with the infiltration/assassination abilities of all three subordinates, and hopefully between us we can smuggle the boss in if stealth is vital to any missions we do. In combat Lamorak will be a great centre for the more glass cannon members to fight around.

Cypher would want to move cautiously, strengthening our position and undermining the Empire before acting directly against them and risking restarting the civil war. Inside the Empire he would like to try and drive a wedge between Marcellian Ii and the College of wizardry. Assassinations might need to wait until there is enough of a distraction going on that we can get in and out more easily or avoid an instant reprisal.

Outside the Empire, Ordana seems most ripe for a neighbouring nation to cause strife in, or at the very least recruit peasants from. A false flag attack provoking conflict between the Marcellian Empire and Ordana or [unspellable celtic nation] also seems possible, but starting an all out war might just prompt a neighbour to take over the Empire and deny us the opportunity.

We are in a very unstable position and an alliance with the Coral Corsairs might ensure we have good supply lines and prevent other seafaring nations from moving in. There is currently very little the pirates could want to take from us, which hopefully would make us relatively safe from them betraying us in the short term. We should avoid the Magocracy like the plague. The giant nation and artillery nuts don't seem easy to manipulate to our benefit in any way.

I love the master engineer idea. Cypher's knowledge skills might be quite helpful if we want to roam the lands trying to track down powerful magic items or people to help us. Making a haven for outcasts and starting a recruitment drive sounds fun but might work better once we can make the island a more attractive proposition.

JbeJ275
2022-02-09, 06:01 PM
- Our naval assets (Pirate mercenaries and captured enemy flagship) are present, but the pirates won't stick around unpaid for long. We probably need to develop a revenue source for them (maybe fortifying a cove to act as a Tortuga-esque pirate haven for them to live under the protection of the castle. Maybe an Outer Court "Master of the Navy" who is a pirate lord/lady with one foot in legitimate sailorship. Like Barbossa when he's working with the English. Are we not King's men?

- Our biggest asset is the castle, but it's in bad repair and the effort to repair it more fully is going to take years. I've always liked the Lyre of Building magic item, which basically turns a bard into a one man construction team - maybe we need an Master Engineer, and then get a Lyre of Building for him so he can personally crank out several hundred Man-Days of work each week, plus organizing a labor force to do the more technical work.

- We have a little land, and we have an army. We need serfs to work that land and feed that army. We can expect a trickle of dissidents fleeing from the Empire; but if there's a neighbouring kingdom going through turmoil we can poach some refugees out of, all the better. Heck, if we can find a tribe of orcs or something who are willing to take parcels of land, and don't mind an authoritarian boot grinding down on the back of their necks while they do it, we might have to make them an offer. Maybe even one they can't refuse.

- Speaking of the crappy land, a good way to get that land productive quickly would be getting a circle of druids on our side - maybe the kind who are indifferent to mortal suffering in favor of the environmental big-picture. Maybe we can find a grove of druids who are being hunted or hated, and offer them sanctuary?

- Monetizing our ability to give the mad and bad of the world sanctuary is one of our key potentials here. We might want to start paying moles in other kingdoms to disseminate the information that the Unbowed Isle is offering protection for all manner of enterprising ne'erdowells.

Regarding the plan to forge a Tortuga esque pirate base, doing that would almost certainly require forging a good relationship with the Coral Corsairs, or else making an effort to grow the very small number of pirates who have been marked as unacceptable by the corsair courts and survived to tell the tale. The corsairs don't currently have a refuge in the same sea you're currently serving in, but would be unlikely to accept too many limitations on their activity, and the established blocks in those courts might come to see you as a rival.

Reagarding places to Steal Magic items, the vast majority of those currently in use are relics from the Old Empire, the majority of those being found in the old Imperial vaults beneath what is now Ordana and Thassalonia, but both of these places guard them jealousy and have the power to back it up. More plausibly, the old Imperial capital was known to once sit on the Marcellian coast, but sunk beneath the waves, with ships attempting to evacuate valuables being struck and brought down in the swell.

The traditional way for an ambitious and talented lord to gain the population for a new fief in this world has been freeing the Landsmen of Odrana. Though their golems are formidable they are poorly managed enough that most can set the ground prior to fighting one, and they're not intelligent combatants, and while the grounds of their empire are warded they’re not unified enough to respond to quick incursions and not motivated to spend elven lives chasing down stolen chattel. The mostly human landsmen on the other hand are hardy folk, and willing to labour gratefully for new lords as long as they retain basic rights and freedoms. There are other more monstrous groups, closest to hand being the mountain goblins, hobgoblins and orcs found in the south east of the continent, but you know little of their conditions.

Regarding druids, most local ones are part of Creadurynasllawerofnadwy or the Beastclans as everyone else in the world calls them. The beastclans aren't really united as a single nation, instead divided into clans that bicker between themselves. You can find druids of most alignments there, though in particular the Dyfnderoedd underclans that inhabit the island to your south have a reputation for brutal practises, poor relations with outsiders and strange religious practises.

As for recruiting general outlaws, it has potential. But despite the miracle ensuring your brother lacks the naval strength to bring the fight to you at the current moment you'll have to prove your strength and resilience before they really start coming in.

Lamorak - A diminished but by no means spent force. He is still the only hope Cypher has of getting revenge on his enemies and tearing down their institutions. Losing Mala'kharn might even be an advantage, fiends wish all mortals to suffer after all, even those in their thrall.

Maiabel - He feels some strong sympathy with her, knowing well the pain of having one's family destroyed by fools serving Marcellian II. However, he must not let that cloud his judgement. The time is long past for her to be a planted agent of the Emperor, but something is not what it seems. She is neither unintelligent nor unwise but yet she follows all orders without the slightest hesitation or question. She may simply be another traumatised victim of Marcellian Ii's regime, but a calculated attempt to ingratiate herself with Lamorak is just as likely. To what purpose, he will wait and see...

Sharkan - A lycanthrope spy from the Gift of the Moon seems highly unlikely, what could they possibly want on the opposite side of the continent? Cypher still doesn't trust him in the slightest though. Sharkan's arcane abilities could plausibly have made him an outcast from The Gift, but he hasn't completely ruled him out as a spy from the Magocracy of Thassalonia or Odrana. He is certainly too charismatic by half and must be watched in case he uses Lamorak's currently reduced might to seize control of our remaining forces and carve out his own territory.

Cypher is very happy with the infiltration/assassination abilities of all three subordinates, and hopefully between us we can smuggle the boss in if stealth is vital to any missions we do. In combat Lamorak will be a great centre for the more glass cannon members to fight around.

Cypher would want to move cautiously, strengthening our position and undermining the Empire before acting directly against them and risking restarting the civil war. Inside the Empire he would like to try and drive a wedge between Marcellian Ii and the College of wizardry. Assassinations might need to wait until there is enough of a distraction going on that we can get in and out more easily or avoid an instant reprisal.

Outside the Empire, Ordana seems most ripe for a neighbouring nation to cause strife in, or at the very least recruit peasants from. A false flag attack provoking conflict between the Marcellian Empire and Ordana or [unspellable celtic nation] also seems possible, but starting an all out war might just prompt a neighbour to take over the Empire and deny us the opportunity.

We are in a very unstable position and an alliance with the Coral Corsairs might ensure we have good supply lines and prevent other seafaring nations from moving in. There is currently very little the pirates could want to take from us, which hopefully would make us relatively safe from them betraying us in the short term. We should avoid the Magocracy like the plague. The giant nation and artillery nuts don't seem easy to manipulate to our benefit in any way.

I love the master engineer idea. Cypher's knowledge skills might be quite helpful if we want to roam the lands trying to track down powerful magic items or people to help us. Making a haven for outcasts and starting a recruitment drive sounds fun but might work better once we can make the island a more attractive proposition.

Regarding false flag attacks, the issue with Odrana is that you'd have to actually strike at the city, or one of the few conclaves of elves to get any sort of emotional reaction from the city's powerbrokers, and those are well defended indeed. You might be able to tempt an attack from them out somehow but the desires of the powerful in that city are difficult things to keep track of.

As for the beastclans you might have better luck there. While they're disunited and many have good relations with the Kingdom others frequently engaged in raids until Marcellian the First used Statesmanship to make that untenable and then blunted any remaining raiders militarily. They've since settled, and some have even converted to the Kingdom's faiths but could potentially be roused again.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-10, 08:16 AM
Stealing some Lamdsmen from Ordana sounds like a fairly safe bet then. How do folk feel about investigating the orcs and goblins as well to see what they can offer? Might be a source of fighters rather than farmers I suppose.

Cypher can help a bit with any marine salvage venture with Arcane Dilettante. He can throw out a 4 hour per person water breathing, Locate Object, and summon monster 2 for 1d3 celestial porpoises for echolocation searching or a quick ride to the surface. We'd still be sitting ducks if anything attached us underwater.

The Beastclans sounds like they'd be good to talk to, even if it's just to suss out the nearby island. From the lore document the former pirate captain might be persuaded to continue to disrupt shipping. Actually attacking a clan could be a fall back option to provoke a fight with tbe Marcellians could be a fakl back option if we can identify a clan that would retaliate.

Another thing to consider for the kingdom would be infiltrating and burning shipyards to give us more time before their navy is back to strength. That or kill/abduct their best shipwrights.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-10, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a gift for the nitty-gritty of nation-building, much though I enjoy hearing people talk about it. As such I don't really have much to add to what's already been discussed. I would like to think that Maiabel might have a bit of pull with the pirates, if for no other reason than that she's fought beside them (well, flanked the enemy with them) and they've seen what she can do in battle. I hope they respect her at least a little, because otherwise Maiabel's not the charismatic type and she has no skill in Diplomacy, only a synergy bonus from Bluff.

The talk of using our skills to go dungeon-delving does remind me - Chameleon gives me access to spellcasting. I've only got 2nd-level spells at the moment, but if we need some minor divine casting, Maiabel's your girl. I can also cast arcane spells, but I need a spellbook to do that... so that depends on Cypher being willing to lend me his.

Maiabel, by and large, is attempting to reforge her character into one with no will of her own. However, there is still one thing she wants for herself - revenge. I may have alluded to a betrayal in her backstory, by another noble house that was supposed to be her family's ally. If there's one thing Maiabel wants for herself, it's to see that house ruined for what they've done.

JbeJ275
2022-02-10, 03:31 PM
Maiabel, by and large, is attempting to reforge her character into one with no will of her own. However, there is still one thing she wants for herself - revenge. I may have alluded to a betrayal in her backstory, by another noble house that was supposed to be her family's ally. If there's one thing Maiabel wants for herself, it's to see that house ruined for what they've done.

Do you want to voice any ideas and suggestions you have on the origins and nature of the betraying noble family? I could share some ideas if you have nothing in particular in mind for them but this seems like a good oppurtunity to define them a little bit more.

Also, the plan is to try and get the IC up tomorrow so I'll wait on our dark lord to announce his diabolical intentions to get that set up.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-10, 03:50 PM
Chameleon gives me access to spellcasting. I've only got 2nd-level spells at the moment, but if we need some minor divine casting, Maiabel's your girl. I can also cast arcane spells, but I need a spellbook to do that... so that depends on Cypher being willing to lend me his.

Even low level divine spellcasting is a great asset, since that's all we've got. It'll make using any divine scrolls or wands we encounter so much easier too. Cypher will let you borrow his spellbook but he'll watch you the whole time like the paranoid librarian he is. I'm planning to write all of my scrolls into my spellbook when time and gold allow it so you should have more options eventually.

Also, I'm considering dropping Celerity as my 4th level transmutation pick for bite of the werewolf as it is a bit less cheesy. Would that be okay?

JbeJ275
2022-02-10, 04:03 PM
Even low level divine spellcasting is a great asset, since that's all we've got. It'll make using any divine scrolls or wands we encounter so much easier too. Cypher will let you borrow his spellbook but he'll watch you the whole time like the paranoid librarian he is. I'm planning to write all of my scrolls into my spellbook when time and gold allow it so you should have more options eventually.

Also, I'm considering dropping Celerity as my 4th level transmutation pick for bite of the werewolf as it is a bit less cheesy. Would that be okay?

That's fine with me.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-10, 04:40 PM
Fab, thank you!

Dusk Raven
2022-02-10, 07:45 PM
Do you want to voice any ideas and suggestions you have on the origins and nature of the betraying noble family? I could share some ideas if you have nothing in particular in mind for them but this seems like a good oppurtunity to define them a little bit more.

My muse is not being cooperative on this subject, unfortunately, so I'd appreciate any input you could give!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-10, 08:35 PM

Also, the plan is to try and get the IC up tomorrow so I'll wait on our dark lord to announce his diabolical intentions to get that set up.

Do you want me to declare a target IC after you set up a scene, or tell you presently what I’m thinking so you can build a scene around that?

I’m thinking we need a quick win and financial hit; so maybe we go make friends with our pirates and use our insider knowledge of the Empire to immediately raid the shipping lanes they have to be using to get supplies to the wounded capital. It could make for a fun nautical clash and a chance for us to flex the new characters in a combat, and for you, noble JBE, to stresstest us in gestalt.

Doesn’t have to be ship to ship combat - but hell, I’m sure the pirates know good places to raid and wouldn’t mind some more firepower from our stolen Flagship.

JbeJ275
2022-02-10, 09:04 PM
Do you want me to declare a target IC after you set up a scene, or tell you presently what I’m thinking so you can build a scene around that?

I’m thinking we need a quick win and financial hit; so maybe we go make friends with our pirates and use our insider knowledge of the Empire to immediately raid the shipping lanes they have to be using to get supplies to the wounded capital. It could make for a fun nautical clash and a chance for us to flex the new characters in a combat, and for you, noble JBE, to stresstest us in gestalt.

Doesn’t have to be ship to ship combat - but hell, I’m sure the pirates know good places to raid and wouldn’t mind some more firepower from our stolen Flagship.

The intention was for you to tell me what you’re thinking so I can build up our starting scene around that. But this works and potentially ties in with that idea as well.

JbeJ275
2022-02-11, 06:49 AM
IC is up with a dashing naval raid. Link in the OP.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-11, 08:50 AM
Edit: Ninja'd by not finishing my post before the baby class!

Got my nautical assault spell choices sorted. Slapping a Bands of Steel into A Quiet Word the night before.

Would Cypher have been able to use Clairvoyance the previous day to assess the strength of the forces on Lady Aeronwyn's flag ship? If not he'll try to do that now.

JbeJ275
2022-02-11, 09:53 AM
You wouldn’t have been in range the previous day but can do so now. Looking over the flagship, which is marked as ‘The Wave Rider’ you see that it’s a little smaller than your own flagship and has fewer marines on board, though it’s likely to receive reinforcements from other ships in any prolonged boarding action. The sailors are un armoured though some carry long knives, small axes or other simple weapons, more useful on ropes than foes. The marines are wearing only light armour, and carry longbows and a variety of light weapons. The exception to this rule is the leader of the marines who wears heavier armour and carries a large boarding axe. It’s difficult to get an exact count on the marines or sailors as many are likely yet to wake, or below decks for other reasons but you’re confident your pirates outnumber those on this ship alone.

There is also an older man in worn robes with a wooden carving hanging from a string around his neck. Likely a court Druid who serve similar roles to court mages for the beast clans. You do not catch any sign of Lady Aeronwyn herself, not any other pegasi that would likely travel with her. While she’s sent gifts by this route it seems she has not traveled it herself.

The deck itself is clear of most abnormal obstacles. Wherever the Pegasi knights stable their mounts must be elsewhere in the fleet.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-11, 11:57 AM
I've switched Maiabel to Divine Focus and put her spells on her sheet. Now, there's apparently some cheese you can get up to with Chameleon where, since you can grab spells from any spell list, you grab spells from lists where they're a lower level than normal. But I'm not sure what good spells to take, so I'm keeping things simple and PHB (mostly). A buff for our Dark Lord, a buff for our entire force (Seriously, Bless affects all allies within 50 feet, that's made for mass battles!), and a bunch of healing spells since I don't actually know how much healing we'll need and I'm preparing for the worst.

I'll use the buffs right as we close within boarding range.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-11, 01:00 PM
Im not seeing it, what sort of distance are the Pegasus at? are they in formation?

JbeJ275
2022-02-11, 01:24 PM
Right now, the Pegasi are directly above the enemy ships which are still about half a mile away (though you’re closing quickly). They’re in a large diamond formation to cover the whole of the Clan fleet, as you draw closer you’d expect them to peel off from the enemy ships and harass yours. However we’ve started in the last few minutes before they confirm your status as raiders and move to engage you.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-11, 02:01 PM
Alright, this Morning I would have meditated to gain Ravanna's fangs/claws/empower spell.

This morning He would have cast Mage armor ((Duration 8 Hours)), This would manifest as a single Stripped Orange tabby sitting on his shoulder, ready to smack any attack away ((+4 Armor bonus))

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-11, 06:18 PM
Looks like I misremembered how many targets I can include in dimension door and haste. Everybody gets some speed now!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-11, 08:29 PM
I am big keen, gang. I have a fleet of posts to do tonight, and Lamorak’s is high on the list; so I’ll pull the trigger this evening!

Edit: Ready to roll. JBE, I was alarmed to discover that Curse Spewing went from +1 in the Book of Vile Darkness to +3 in the MIC, so I choked, and exchanged it for Charging on the lance, which is +1. Hope that's fine.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-12, 01:30 PM
Awesome! Being paranoid, Cypher will probably save one fly spell for himself. Maiabel and Sharkan, which of you do you think would benefit from it most? It'll last for 7 minutes.

Cypher is pretty naff at range but will either fly up to fight or use tanglefoot bags thrown via a sling if that's allowed JBE? Also, can I cast heroics on him twice for two different feats? I'm indecisive between Improved trip and disarm so might go with both if possible.

Against a druid he has no specific anti caster spells prepped apart from dispel magic (learning point for him and me), but Bands of Steel from his weapon might lock it down if he can't become a large creature. He's totally happy to smack the druid around and can take the hit for a non-lethal attack with little bother I imagine.

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 04:30 PM
I am big keen, gang. I have a fleet of posts to do tonight, and Lamorak’s is high on the list; so I’ll pull the trigger this evening!

Edit: Ready to roll. JBE, I was alarmed to discover that Curse Spewing went from +1 in the Book of Vile Darkness to +3 in the MIC, so I choked, and exchanged it for Charging on the lance, which is +1. Hope that's fine.

Yeah that's fine. Thanks for your honesty in that as I do think it's a fairer reflection of the power of curse spewing items.

Awesome! Being paranoid, Cypher will probably save one fly spell for himself. Maiabel and Sharkan, which of you do you think would benefit from it most? It'll last for 7 minutes.

Cypher is pretty naff at range but will either fly up to fight or use tanglefoot bags thrown via a sling if that's allowed JBE? Also, can I cast heroics on him twice for two different feats? I'm indecisive between Improved trip and disarm so might go with both if possible.

Against a druid he has no specific anti caster spells prepped apart from dispel magic (learning point for him and me), but Bands of Steel from his weapon might lock it down if he can't become a large creature. He's totally happy to smack the druid around and can take the hit for a non-lethal attack with little bother I imagine.

A tanglefoot bag weighs like eight times as much as a sling bullet, so I don't think that combo could really be justified. I'm fine with Heroics stacking though.

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 04:53 PM
Alright, this Morning I would have meditated to gain Ravanna's fangs/claws/empower spell.

This morning He would have cast Mage armor ((Duration 8 Hours)), This would manifest as a single Stripped Orange tabby sitting on his shoulder, ready to smack any attack away ((+4 Armor bonus))

Just to clarify. Was that you readying an action to cast fireball in the IC or not and if so can you roll damage and declare if you're using any particular abilities with it?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-12, 06:15 PM
I hadn't even thought to check the weight, whoops, yup totally silly! Thanks for the confirmation about heroics too.

If we have a while before they engage us I'll wait a bit before casting heroics and fly, if its only a couple of rounds I'll do an IC post detailing a round by round buff attempt before they get to us.

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 06:25 PM
Well Pegasi at top speed move 480 ft a turn. So while you have some time before they take off towards you, once they’re headed over you don’t have all that much. I’ll start the initiative with them being hit by the fireball at 720 ft.

Also since you have sight of each other before you engage, and they’re taking the time to get in formation they’ll all be on the same initiative which is nice.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-12, 07:02 PM
There was a chance for a python reference, couldn't help myself. I tried to be a bit imprecise about the time, hope that's okay. Let me know if it went too far. Cypher isn't using any extra resources with those castings.

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 07:27 PM
There was a chance for a python reference, couldn't help myself. I tried to be a bit imprecise about the time, hope that's okay. Let me know if it went too far. Cypher isn't using any extra resources with those castings.
No the reference is very fitting, I like itTime impresion is OK, we'll assume you can count out how far away they are precisely enough for this sort of general thing.

Darius Vibrtrar
I might be missing something obvious but how are you casting Empowered Fireball? That's a fifth level spell.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-12, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I forgot to refresh the ooc page.

Yes, I am using one of my 3 daily empower spells at no cost, from praying to Ravanna, to empower my fire ball in my readied action.

Is the confusion about no cost? Every reading I've seen on the blood quickening, treats them like the sudden mrtamagic feats from complete minitures. If that's not your reading, i can edit out the extra 13 damage and use it like a regular empower spell in the future.

I'll make sure to include that in prepatory posts in the future.

Also, its my feat spell thematics that allows me to make spells look like cats

Dusk Raven
2022-02-12, 08:33 PM
Would it be all right if I cast my own preparatory spell (the aforementioned Shield of Faith) before initiative? I'd have cast it once it became obvious the pegasi would reach us in a matter of rounds.

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot to refresh the ooc page.

Yes, I am using one of my 3 daily empower spells at no cost, from praying to Ravanna, to empower my fire ball in my readied action.

Is the confusion about no cost? Every reading I've seen on the blood quickening, treats them like the sudden mrtamagic feats from complete minitures. If that's not your reading, i can edit out the extra 13 damage and use it like a regular empower spell in the future.

I'll make sure to include that in prepatory posts in the future.

Also, its my feat spell thematics that allows me to make spells look like cats

To be fair I haven't played or DM'd for a spellscale before. For now I'm going to rule it as you don't need the feat but you still need a higher level spell slot but if you can show me any of those rulings with the logic behind them I'd be happy to reconsider.

The cats is absolutely great. I love it.

Would it be all right if I cast my own preparatory spell (the aforementioned Shield of Faith) before initiative? I'd have cast it once it became obvious the pegasi would reach us in a matter of rounds.

That's A OK.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-12, 08:41 PM
Alright, edits made to the damage spoiler

JbeJ275
2022-02-12, 08:59 PM
Great, it is now your guys turns again for anyone who can do anything this range, or wants to get in the air and moving towards them.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-13, 02:34 AM
Cypher hastes everyone and flies up ready to intercept. Hopefully these honourable knights will respect him challenging one of their number...

He also casts shield. If it looks like they can get to him with a charge this round he uses Cunning Defence for 1 IP.

Oof lots of moving parts in this build but I'm having a great time so far!

I almost forgot to mention knowledge devotion, see previous sentence!

Knowledge local for the knights/other crew of this fleet (as humanoids) and Arcana for the Pegasi (magic beasts). Using my Collector of Stories skill trick for the humanoids.

Local [roll0]
Arcana [roll1]

Wow, good roll for the humanoids (+5 to attack and damage) and +3 vs magic beasts.

JbeJ275
2022-02-13, 04:14 PM
Forgot a roll [roll0]

EDIT: OK, turn is done. You guys are up.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-13, 05:19 PM
how high up are the remainging pegasi?

JbeJ275
2022-02-13, 05:29 PM
50 or 60 feet up.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-13, 05:43 PM
Sharkan:.... im gonna push him in the water

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-13, 05:43 PM
Ha, looks like we had similar thoughts about that rider!

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 06:33 AM
@MrAbdiel

Sorry, I'm just trying to keep track of some stuff. Where is the 6d6 coming from on your attack? And you have a charging lance on your sheet, is that the same thing as valarous or another thing, which I can't currently find?

Also some rolls: 1d20+11 for
[roll]1d20+7 for [roll1]

Autofail
[roll2] for [roll3]

[roll4] [roll5]

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 06:34 AM
And trying some of those mistyped rolls again

[roll0] for (1d8+4)[11]
[roll1]

MrAbdiel
2022-02-14, 06:46 AM
@MrAbdiel

Sorry, I'm just trying to keep track of some stuff. Where is the 6d6 coming from on your attack? And you have a charging lance on your sheet, is that the same thing as valarous or another thing, which I can't currently find?

I'm afraid I don't know what valorous does on a weapon, but charging (in the MIC) is an enchantment that means a mounted charge attack with the weapon deals an extra 2d6 damage. Tripled for use of a lance with the mounted combatant feat is 6d6.

It feels big, but it's the tradeoff the weapon takes for being so specifically useful. Only when mounted, only on a successful charge; and building for charging, I'm forgoing the opportunity to use multiple attacks with a full attack actions (unless I can cheesilly get Lion's Charge from somewhere). Mounted charging is really Lamorak's golden situation!

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 06:48 AM
Ah. OK Valorous adds another doubling. So with a spirited charge wielding a valorous lance you do 4* your damage. But yeah that all checks out thank you. Post should be up soon.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-14, 06:52 AM
Ah. OK Valorous adds another doubling. So with a spirited charge wielding a valorous lance you do 4* your damage. But yeah that all checks out thank you. Post should be up soon.

...Daaaym. Where's valorous? Book of Exalted Deeds?

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 07:05 AM
...Daaaym. Where's valorous? Book of Exalted Deeds?

It's actually from Unapproachable East. I first found it when I was making a charachter of my own, a skylord which is a prestige class, and one I'm rather fond of, from BoED.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-14, 07:23 AM
I have just learned, with great sadness, that all d6's added to damage are not doubled with doublings. This makes me sad.

I do not do the 6d6 damage, but merely [roll0] damage. Wup wah.

Which, hilariously, is 1 more damage than I rolled on the 6d6. Honest pays off again?

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 07:51 AM
I forgot this one, there's a lot to keep track of in a battle like this: [roll0] for [roll1]

MrAbdiel
2022-02-14, 07:59 AM
We're doing our best to thin them out for you, buddy. :) But plz stop rolling like that

MrAbdiel
2022-02-14, 09:44 AM
Fouled up Typho's damage roll. [roll0].

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-14, 12:49 PM
The knightshould provoke an attack of opportunity from Cypher as he leaves his 10ft reach. Cypher will try to trip him off the pegasus.

Touch attack to hit. [roll0]

Trip check Opposed by abride check [roll1]

Cypher will get a free attack if he unseats the rider.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-14, 12:58 PM
Attack of Opportunity: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

What was the result of Maiabel's Sapphire Nightmare Blade?

Dusk Raven
2022-02-14, 01:00 PM
Also, rolling to confirm crit: [roll0]
+damage (not sure if you want to simply double the initial roll or have me roll a second time, but here goes) [roll1]
Man, if only I had Deadly Defense active...

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 01:03 PM
The knightshould provoke an attack of opportunity from Cypher as he leaves his 10ft reach. Cypher will try to trip him off the pegasus.

Touch attack to hit. [roll0]

Trip check Opposed by abride check [roll1]

Cypher will get a free attack if he unseats the rider.

Ah. You should have made that clearer. When you said you moved behind him I didn’t realise you were remaining inside the reach.

Also, rolling to confirm crit: [roll0]
+damage (not sure if you want to simply double the initial roll or have me roll a second time, but here goes) [roll1]
Man, if only I had Deadly Defense active...

Yeah he was rendered flat footed against the relevant attack and took the damage.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-14, 01:34 PM
Clarification,

Did the 29 paw attack miss?

Or did he pass the reflex save?

Or was the bull rush attempt of 10 insufficient?

And which of those attack rolls are against sharkan?

JbeJ275
2022-02-14, 01:38 PM
He passed the reflex save.

The one against Sharkan missed him.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-14, 02:36 PM
okay, good he still hit the guy, just dodged the Bull Rush

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-14, 04:24 PM
Fair play. I'll get that coward next time. How far away is he from Cypher now?

How's this for a brain fart? I originally typed "staying just close enough to threaten both with his blade" and then for some reason decided that that was far too clear and changed it to "menace". Better luck next time Cypher!

[roll0]

Edit: woo for miss chances. I made a guess about distances, let me know if I'm way off!

JbeJ275
2022-02-15, 08:21 AM
No worries. To prevent such ambiguity in future I might open a roll 20 server for battlemaps and stuff. Doing battlemaps on gitp is difficult but I think as we've seen with a party this mobile a battlemap really does help.

As for speed, there's some diagonality to the movement but if anything that would possibly just reduce the distance you need to move slightly, and I generally don't factor in vertical distance for ranged increments while you have the high ground so that's fine.

My muse is not being cooperative on this subject, unfortunately, so I'd appreciate any input you could give!

Sorry for skipping over this, only just realised I never actually posted my thoughts. I don't have any super strong narrative ideas for this either but will propose something.

Maiabell's noble house was a hardy one that had remained on it's own lands since the start of it's long and wary history. When the first empire fell to monstrous attack, noble disunity and bandit uprisings it remained. Eventually consolidating a modest number of other estates, and while lacking in wealth becoming fairly prestigious and well positioned as land-owners. Another house started its existence much the same way, but fled to the North-West during one such time of hardship, banking their prestige and talents to become courtiers in the Empire of the Burning Sun. It remained there for many generations, using the old claim as a pretext of nobility before the land at the heart of the Old Empire was reclaimed, and they returned promising Marcelian the first that they'd provide much needed funds to his ongoing efforts to reclaim the lands in exchange for their od claims being fully recognised. Thus a deal was struck, with their original land being among that protected by Maiabell's house they offered gold and an alliance of marriage for land enough to back their nobility. They stayed true to their world for a generation, but never dropped their old claims on the surrounding areas, taking the civil war as an opportunity to reclaim all their old lands by purging Maiabell's house. Thus house Fordhearth reclaimed their land, and made a very motivated enemy.

Does that generally work?

Also while I'm posting. [roll0]

Dusk Raven
2022-02-15, 10:48 AM
Sorry for skipping over this, only just realised I never actually posted my thoughts. I don't have any super strong narrative ideas for this either but will propose something.

Maiabell's noble house was a hardy one that had remained on it's own lands since the start of it's long and wary history. When the first empire fell to monstrous attack, noble disunity and bandit uprisings it remained. Eventually consolidating a modest number of other estates, and while lacking in wealth becoming fairly prestigious and well positioned as land-owners. Another house started its existence much the same way, but fled to the North-West during one such time of hardship, banking their prestige and talents to become courtiers in the Empire of the Burning Sun. It remained there for many generations, using the old claim as a pretext of nobility before the land at the heart of the Old Empire was reclaimed, and they returned promising Marcelian the first that they'd provide much needed funds to his ongoing efforts to reclaim the lands in exchange for their od claims being fully recognised. Thus a deal was struck, with their original land being among that protected by Maiabell's house they offered gold and an alliance of marriage for land enough to back their nobility. They stayed true to their world for a generation, but never dropped their old claims on the surrounding areas, taking the civil war as an opportunity to reclaim all their old lands by purging Maiabell's house. Thus house Fordhearth reclaimed their land, and made a very motivated enemy.

Does that generally work?

That works for me, it's certainly more tied-in to the world than I would be able to come up with. Now we just need a name... hmm.

And I also need to post, I think, though I'm going to be busy in the near future. Now, how distant am I from the last knight?

JbeJ275
2022-02-15, 11:05 AM
That works for me, it's certainly more tied-in to the world than I would be able to come up with. Now we just need a name... hmm.

And I also need to post, I think, though I'm going to be busy in the near future. Now, how distant am I from the last knight?

I think 50ft away?

Dusk Raven
2022-02-15, 11:18 AM
I mean, I'd still be in range unless it was more than 180 feet away, so the exact distance doesn't matter that much. I just need to know if I can walk to it or if I have to charge/use Bounding Assault to get to it. I think I'll charge anyway. Question: Can I use Combat Expertise while charging? I'm pretty sure I can't use it with maneuvers, but can I do so with a charge? EDIT: In Pathfinder, at least, the answer seems to be no, and I'll assume it's the same for 3.5.

JbeJ275
2022-02-15, 11:23 AM
No, the feat specifies attack or full attack while a charge is its own sort of action.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-15, 11:28 AM
That's what I thought. In the meantime, I messed up my damage roll so I'll post it here rather than double post in the thread. [roll0]

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-15, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a good plan! I doubt we'll all always be flying but we can certainly zip along thr ground with abandon.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-15, 05:27 PM
Looks like the Pegasus knights are just about waxed. If we get to grips with them for a boarding action and they don't immediately surrender, it'll just be a matter of being as violent as possible as quickly as possible. If they manage to elude us, we might have to gatecrash and take on the crew (and druid) directly. We still have like.. 7 minutes on that fly spell, right?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-15, 05:44 PM
Say six and a half minutes max at this point. Cypher can take his fellow commanders with him via dimension door if we can get close enough. That might work better than leaving Sharkan behind.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-15, 05:54 PM
Sharkan can ride shotgun on Typho breifly; though I think he'll be encumbered so I'd rather not fight with two on board. But dimension door also works.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-15, 06:19 PM
If an encumbered Typho is still faster than our ship it'll be an ide way to close the gap enough to DD.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-15, 07:04 PM
Well, the time to choose is upon us. IC, Lamorak is decisive and right now quite bloodthirsty, making the unilateral decision.

OOC... What do you think? Teleport attack before the Druid can use the scroll? That's my thinking. I'm feeling gutsy.

Edit: Typho's light load is like.. 750lbs. Lamorak fully armored is at worst like 300 lbs. So his mighty wings can carry any two of these sleek little, non-platey offsiders as long as they don't mind hanging off the sides, and still be within light load. With everyone, he goes up to Medium, so drops from 70 fly (100 with haste) to 50 (80). But still x4 at top seed for 200 (320) a turn. We'll be a single target screaming out for AOE to hit us, but it'll economize on spell slows for delivery!

Dusk Raven
2022-02-15, 11:21 PM
I've still got to cast my Bless, of course. But that depends on how close we are to the enemy ship. If it's less than three or four minutes, Maiabel can just cast the spell now and then we can teleport/do whatever on our own. Otherwise she might wait until our pirates close in.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-16, 01:30 AM
Fly doesn't allow us to run, so we'll be limited to 180ft per turn if Cypher and Maiabel fly alongside Typho. Then Three of us can teleport in at 680ft. Cypher will be out of commission entirely until his next turn, but the others could ready attacks/full round action (in Sharkan's case) to gank the druid when they arrive. That would leave Lamorak out of the fight for 2-3 rounds as he catches up.

Alternatively, Lamorak and Sharkan can plough on ahead and the other two can close the gap with DD, which might make us all arrive at similar times. It would lose the element of surprise though.

Good plan on bless, it'll help the pirates more than us. No sense firing it off if it'll wear off before they get into the fight.

Will this be a new encounter? Just checking to see if skill tricks, Inspiration Points, and Martial Maneuvers reset.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-16, 01:51 AM
I guess it's mostly depending on what range we're at from the enemy vessel. If we're far away, atleast the druid's spell options are limited.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-16, 03:31 AM
Just had a thought. If the marines aren't currently centred around the druid then we could do something like this...we teleport the three commanders in ahead of Lamorak (we're expendable if it doesn't work).

We teleport in next to the druid. Prior to DD Maiabel readies an action to attack the druid if it casts the scroll, possibly disrupting that (or go totally wild and try to sunder it). Cypher would hopefully be places between Maiabel and the marines, and buffs his AC before teleporting in. Sharkan (under superior invisibility?) Rakes the deck with a fireball to soften the marines up a bit.

They should be able to survive a couple of rounds after that before the boss arrives to out the nail in the coffin

MrAbdiel
2022-02-16, 03:44 AM
Just had a thought. If the marines aren't currently centred around the druid then we could do something like this...we teleport the three commanders in ahead of Lamorak (we're expendable if it doesn't work).

We teleport in next to the druid. Prior to DD Maiabel readies an action to attack the druid if it casts the scroll, possibly disrupting that (or go totally wild and try to sunder it). Cypher would hopefully be places between Maiabel and the marines, and buffs his AC before teleporting in. Sharkan (under superior invisibility?) Rakes the deck with a fireball to soften the marines up a bit.

They should be able to survive a couple of rounds after that before the boss arrives to out the nail in the coffin

Expendable? The term is too harsh. I prefer... dispensable.

But I like that plan, sure! Sky-jousting is sort of Lamorak's playpen; I'd like to see you guys going ham on a deck full of weenie sailors!

JbeJ275
2022-02-16, 06:30 AM
Fly doesn't allow us to run, so we'll be limited to 180ft per turn if Cypher and Maiabel fly alongside Typho. Then Three of us can teleport in at 680ft. Cypher will be out of commission entirely until his next turn, but the others could ready attacks/full round action (in Sharkan's case) to gank the druid when they arrive. That would leave Lamorak out of the fight for 2-3 rounds as he catches up.

Alternatively, Lamorak and Sharkan can plough on ahead and the other two can close the gap with DD, which might make us all arrive at similar times. It would lose the element of surprise though.

Good plan on bless, it'll help the pirates more than us. No sense firing it off if it'll wear off before they get into the fight.

Will this be a new encounter? Just checking to see if skill tricks, Inspiration Points, and Martial Maneuvers reset.

Yeah I think this would count as a new encounter sure.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-16, 08:33 AM
Okay, Who is "Teleporting" us to the enemy?

MrAbdiel
2022-02-16, 08:40 AM
Cypher’s got that dimension door action.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-16, 09:12 AM
Is that enough to take him +2 extra? or will he have to make 2 trips (3 castings of the spell)

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-16, 11:29 AM
Three of us all at once. It's one extra medium creature per 3 caster levels and he's casting at CL 7. I only have one prepped, so it'll need to count.

Also, cheers for the new encounter!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-16, 12:03 PM
its all good, let Sharkan next to the druid, well show them whats what

JbeJ275
2022-02-16, 12:14 PM
Three of us all at once. It's one extra medium creature per 3 caster levels and he's casting at CL 7. I only have one prepped, so it'll need to count.

Also, cheers for the new encounter!

In the intrests of full and open fairness can you make a spot check for me. I'll warn you now that the DC on this one is rather high.

Also everyone reroll initiative as here reaction speed and the like is rather important even if a lot of people have ready actions.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-16, 12:34 PM
Will do!

Spot, +8 from Cunning Insight (2/5 remaining)
[roll0]

Initiative [roll1]

Some stellar rolling there!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-16, 12:44 PM
[roll0]

Sharkan Initiative

yikes.... that nat 1 spot check. good thing nat 1's dont mean auto failure

Dusk Raven
2022-02-16, 03:41 PM
Maiabel's initiative: [roll0]

Depending on the results of that spot check... this should be interesting.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-16, 03:55 PM
It wouldn't be right if thr arrogant villains didn't overestimate their abilities!

JbeJ275
2022-02-16, 06:06 PM
Will do!

Spot, +8 from Cunning Insight (2/5 remaining)
[roll0]

Initiative [roll1]

Some stellar rolling there!

No worries. You see nothing of any particular interest.

Also the Roll20 should be found here. (https://app.roll20.net/join/12532206/MRDvzw)

One people log in I'll be able to add their tokens to the map and give them control over them as well. If anyone has any issues feel free to tell me and I'll do my best to fix them. Not all enemy tokens will be exactly WYSIWYG but it should be easy enough to follow.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-17, 01:10 AM
@Dusk Raven - on the off chance that we we first, are you readying any actions for when we drop in?

Also, since we took a round to buff before teleporting, hopefully Lamorak was able to use the buff round to get one round closer when things kick off!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-17, 07:40 AM
Does everyone have character pics? I can crunch out some tokens.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-17, 07:54 AM
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5bd88db093a6320f071b1a50/1567618294642-YETZ0A14PP4A7H3MGM5N/2e_RakshasaMM.png?format=1000w

Crop it as you need

MrAbdiel
2022-02-17, 08:24 AM
https://i.ibb.co/yq5pM2t/Cypher.png
https://i.ibb.co/S5Dnk5y/Lamorak.png
https://i.ibb.co/bzS7pRN/Sharkan.png

Pending Maiabel art. Or a description by which I might harvest a picture for her!

Maybe I should upgrade those backgrounds...

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-17, 10:53 AM
The tokens look brilliant! What a dapper lot of ne'er do wells!

Dusk Raven
2022-02-17, 11:15 AM
@Dusk Raven - on the off chance that we we first, are you readying any actions for when we drop in?

That's... a good idea. I think I'll just prepare an action to attack, and use Combat Expertise with a -2/+2 bonus.

Pending Maiabel art. Or a description by which I might harvest a picture for her!

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture for her yet. I have a picture of her mask (technically a character wearing the mask), if that'll work.

JbeJ275
2022-02-17, 03:54 PM
So is Sharkan readying an action too or are you guys good to proceed? And does anyone know if there are any rules about what order readied actions go off in? If there aren't you guys probably have the drop on your readied actions going before their readied actions at least.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-17, 04:40 PM
Sharkan will ready an Action to Stunning Fist the Druid

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-17, 05:09 PM
No idea about the readied actions order, sorry!

Dusk Raven
2022-02-18, 01:29 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting, going through a bit of decision paralysis over whether to charge the druid, or start working my way through the grunts...

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-18, 04:00 PM
Go for the druid I think. He's the one most likely to throw major spanners in the works for us. Cypher can face off against the marine captain and hopefully distract the grunts whilst you two try to take out the druid.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-18, 06:09 PM
Some dms like to say fireball will set boats on fire.

What say you sir?

JbeJ275
2022-02-18, 06:46 PM
Some dms like to say fireball will set boats on fire.

What say you sir?

It definitely can start a fire. However

A) There are various ways this fire could be put out.
B) Fire does not actually spread that quickly remembering it’s six seconds a turn. There are rules for it in stormwrack but it’s kind of random so you’ll be putting faith in the dice.
C) A non-negligible incentive for this fight is to steal the supplies this boat is carrying, and possibly the boat itself. That’s hard if the boat is engulfed in flame at the end of the fight.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-18, 07:13 PM
I think you can't be targeted by AoO whilst under greater invisibility. You also get an extra +2 to attack.

Also your movement speed is 90ft with fly and haste on you.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-18, 07:18 PM
Well, I can be targeted if the enemy can see me, I assume, and I'm taking no chances. Besides, with a double move I have the speed to move cautiously. If my foe can't see me, I think I get more than a +2, isn't the target flat-footed as well? That means sneak attack dice! But I'll wait for confirmation from our DM on that.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-18, 07:24 PM
Caution is totally fair enough! With 180ft double move you can possibly have a good look at the ship too!

JbeJ275
2022-02-18, 07:38 PM
Well, I can be targeted if the enemy can see me, I assume, and I'm taking no chances. Besides, with a double move I have the speed to move cautiously. If my foe can't see me, I think I get more than a +2, isn't the target flat-footed as well? That means sneak attack dice! But I'll wait for confirmation from our DM on that.

Yep, the enemy may indeed be considered flat footed.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-19, 03:10 AM
In case it makes a difference, Cypher is the only commander who is not invisible.

Also, I can't see the initiative tracker any more, sorry!

JbeJ275
2022-02-19, 05:51 AM
In case it makes a difference, Cypher is the only commander who is not invisible.

Also, I can't see the initiative tracker any more, sorry!

Hmm. For some reason every time I close the window it disappears. Not sure what to do about that honestly. And that doesn’t change anything that’s happened so far but thank you for being clear with it.

Also regarding Lamorak’s arrival. You teleported from 720 feet out. He can travel 200 ft a turn. A 15ft ascent on that (remembering vertical movement counts double) means for every 15 ft he moves horizontally he moves 5ft vertically which costs 10ft of movement. So (200/25)*15 gives 120ft of horizontal movement this turn and rises him by 40ft. So he’s 600ft away.

Did you already roll initiative for him? If not can you do so now?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-19, 06:22 AM
Cypher's only CL7 (yay Swiftblade being a 6/10 caster) so I think it's 680ft.

JbeJ275
2022-02-19, 06:29 AM
Ah OK. Thank you so that's now 560ft. Got it.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-19, 06:52 AM
Hmm. For some reason every time I close the window it disappears. Not sure what to do about that honestly. And that doesn’t change anything that’s happened so far but thank you for being clear with it.

Also regarding Lamorak’s arrival. You teleported from 720 feet out. He can travel 200 ft a turn. A 15ft ascent on that (remembering vertical movement counts double) means for every 15 ft he moves horizontally he moves 5ft vertically which costs 10ft of movement. So (200/25)*15 gives 120ft of horizontal movement this turn and rises him by 40ft. So he’s 600ft away.

Did you already roll initiative for him? If not can you do so now?

Actually, because Typho can 'run' at *4, he can fly 400 feet a turn. His fly speed is 70, plus 30 for haste; and the no-run-while-fly, I think is only a stipulation of the fly spell. otherwise my drakkensteed is much slower in the air than on the ground which seems.. odd? :D

EDIT: You guys look like huge badasses by the way. And yeah, DuskRaven! The mask picture you have will work fine for now, we can always change it later!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-19, 06:53 AM
Oops, and initiative: [roll0]. I don't think haste boosts that at all, does it? Doubt it.

JbeJ275
2022-02-19, 07:10 AM
Actually, because Typho can 'run' at *4, he can fly 400 feet a turn. His fly speed is 70, plus 30 for haste; and the no-run-while-fly, I think is only a stipulation of the fly spell. otherwise my drakkensteed is much slower in the air than on the ground which seems.. odd? :D

EDIT: You guys look like huge badasses by the way. And yeah, DuskRaven! The mask picture you have will work fine for now, we can always change it later!

Ah, you’re right I was looking at the wrong speed. So doubling that gives 240ft forward and you’re now 440ft away.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-19, 08:31 AM
Ah, you’re right I was looking at the wrong speed. So doubling that gives 240ft forward and you’re now 440ft away.

Great! Next move will also gain some altitude. But he'll level out as much as he needs to so he's within 200ft of any point of the ship at the end of the 'run'; setting himself up to charge whoever he wants the turn after.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-19, 12:06 PM
You know, I was afraid of this exact scenario happening - my invisibility being disrupted and getting surrounded by enemies. Fortunately, the marines are a lot worse at hitting me than I thought they'd be.

And yeah, DuskRaven! The mask picture you have will work fine for now, we can always change it later!

All right then. Her character was actually inspired by a picture from, of all things, a mod for a game called Slay the Spire. Fans of Touhou may recognize the character the mod adds to the game. I, of course, really liked the mask.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/943967583668026483/063672DC7ECE370DBC09EC661D266B09080070E9/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

I'm working on getting an actual picture for her (with the mask!), but that will take a few days.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-19, 01:24 PM
Can I roll spellcraft to ID what was used to outline her?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-19, 03:01 PM
I'm tempted to place Cypher on the opposite side of that mass of people around Maiabel to take the heat off her a bit (just in case) and give her flanking. Will that interfere with any of your plans Darius?

JbeJ275
2022-02-19, 03:33 PM
Can I roll spellcraft to ID what was used to outline her?

Go right ahead

You know, I was afraid of this exact scenario happening - my invisibility being disrupted and getting surrounded by enemies. Fortunately, the marines are a lot worse at hitting me than I thought they'd be.

All right then. Her character was actually inspired by a picture from, of all things, a mod for a game called Slay the Spire. Fans of Touhou may recognize the character the mod adds to the game. I, of course, really liked the mask.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/943967583668026483/063672DC7ECE370DBC09EC661D266B09080070E9/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

I'm working on getting an actual picture for her (with the mask!), but that will take a few days.

Eh, you have a very high AC. And they rolled badly. They weren’t like only hitting you on a 20 or anything but I don’t think any of them rolled higher than like a 13. Still not an ideal situation but not a doomed one.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-19, 03:54 PM
[roll0] spellcraft to identify faerie fire

Nope. That's some weird magic!!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-19, 04:05 PM
Of course I roll a nat 1 on an empower spell!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-19, 05:33 PM
https://i.ibb.co/wYTmMrW/Maiabel.png

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-19, 05:58 PM
Cypher is going to get Maiabel out of the direct mass of people with benign transposition, moving to the X I made on the map first so that she can 5ft step and full attack the crowd of mooks with flanking from Cypher next turn.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-20, 10:45 AM
Cypher jumps into the newly made hot tub

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-20, 10:51 AM
The water's lovely come on in!

Edit: BTW I only really meant it if the beasts start 'whaling' on our ship in earnest.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-21, 03:43 AM
Hot damn, you guys are an amphibious super team and I am glad I have you around because until I get my magic reigns, I have zero acquatic capability.

Hmm. Has -everyone- cleared the ship, JBE? Or just the marines - the fighting men? Are there still sailors panicking and balking that I could persuade-intimidate to start sailing the ship for me?

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-21, 04:48 AM
Cypher at least is a lot less effectuve when bound by the constraints of the actual rules and action economy!

Lamorak can still breath water for nearly 4 hours, I forgot to factor Typho into that spell earlier, but it might not drown straight away...They aren't that far under water, you could probably still charge one of them. A lance is piercing right? If so, it should work without penalty underwater (mad but there you go). If the ship doesn't sink Typho might be able to clean up the side to get out of the drink afterwards. Risky strategy though.

JbeJ275
2022-02-21, 09:28 AM
Hot damn, you guys are an amphibious super team and I am glad I have you around because until I get my magic reigns, I have zero acquatic capability.

Hmm. Has -everyone- cleared the ship, JBE? Or just the marines - the fighting men? Are there still sailors panicking and balking that I could persuade-intimidate to start sailing the ship for me?

Right now there are no sailors remaining on the deck of the ship and you see at least some civilian sailors being dragged to other craft by the Hippocampi. There might be other sailors remaining out of the fight by staying below decks but it's hard to tell from where you are now.

As for charging them you could do it once but then you and Typho will be in the water.

Also @Darius Vibrtrar did you ever roll damage for the fireball?

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-21, 09:53 AM
Also @Darius Vibrtrar did you ever roll damage for the fireball?

Yes, in my last post in the dice rolls spoiler

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-21, 11:20 AM
Ooh, the Druid does have an animal companion. If we kill it will we get a John Wick-esque recurring enemy?

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-21, 12:21 PM
Getting wet messes up my fur. Its awful

JbeJ275
2022-02-21, 01:06 PM
Getting wet messes up my fur. Its awful

Very fair. Though to check how well you're doing can you make a search check for me? I'll divide the time taken per check by four but have you roll search flat I think.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-21, 01:34 PM
Fair!

Alright, Ill roll the search here to prevent Double Posting.

[roll0]

Not exactly my specialty but I got 1 rank in it!

https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/metal-print/6.5/8/break/images/artworkimages/medium/3/sir-cat-drawing-dressed-cat-in-suit-designed-by-vexels.jpg

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-21, 04:19 PM
Love that search plan!

JbeJ275
2022-02-21, 07:22 PM
Ooh, the Druid does have an animal companion. If we kill it will we get a John Wick-esque recurring enemy?

Do you want to take that risk?

You are now in a double move from the ship so can start taking proper actions in the IC thread again.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-22, 10:10 AM
It's very tempting, but I'll only worry if we manage to take out the big beasts!

JbeJ275
2022-02-24, 12:11 PM
The enemies are likely to spend their turn dealing with the summons so you do have time for another action if you want to do so.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-24, 12:17 PM
Damn, I've screwed myself over and helped them run one of my buffs down, oh well! Nothing Cypher can do when he can't see the enemy underwater. He'll pull out a dagger and keep an action prepped to attack any fish that comes close. If the porpoises survive the retaliation ill roll more attacks for them.

Are the other ships still firing on the damaged section of Hull? Would the boss be able to target them and stop the barrage?

JbeJ275
2022-02-24, 02:44 PM
Damn, I've screwed myself over and helped them run one of my buffs down, oh well! Nothing Cypher can do when he can't see the enemy underwater. He'll pull out a dagger and keep an action prepped to attack any fish that comes close. If the porpoises survive the retaliation ill roll more attacks for them.

Are the other ships still firing on the damaged section of Hull? Would the boss be able to target them and stop the barrage?

It seems like the enemy ships have taken the cut colours as a signal to turn and run. It was just that also happened to be the turn they finished loading their ballistae so they gave a departing volley. If you want to prevent their escape you can give that a try, attack sails or something like that.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-24, 05:51 PM
Hmm, seems like a bit of an over stretch at this point. If we can get some treasure or even save the ex-flagship that'll be great!

Edit: Cypher cast water breathing at the start of the battle, giving us 4 hours each.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-24, 09:58 PM
Oops, I forgot about that. I recalled them being mentioned, I didn't realize he'd already cast them. That means that Maiabel should be much less anxious about going underwater!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-25, 02:51 AM
Hmm. I think I have an idea of how to deal with the Ramfish, maybe. But I’m gonna have to dive into the water to be bait!

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-25, 04:17 AM
Just don't become bait too far away from the ship or we'll struggle to back you up!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-25, 09:04 AM
waiting for response from npcs below deck

JbeJ275
2022-02-25, 01:30 PM
Okay, I'm gonna do the turn ASAp now, I just need to work out some details with lamorak's gambit.
So @MrAbdiel

"Lamorak is counting on the hubris of the druid and his minions, seeing the armored dark lord in the water, and finding that too good of a target to ignore.
He expects to be charged by one, or both, of the giant attacking creatures that are the real threat to the ship.

Lamorak dropped his lance as a free action, moved off the side of the ship as a move, used Featherfall as an immediate. I made the assumption that there's something on the ship's side to grab on to because this is a super fancy flag ship, and there's often ornamentation, or carved lugs, or whatnot to grasp on the exterior. If not, he should still have a turn before I start making swim checks to see if I sink."

All of this is absoultely fine.

"With the remaining half-action, Lamorak is Readying an action to cast True Strike once Typho comes into range to benefit from it.

Typho, on the deck, is taking the Ready Action to charge the first enemy that moves up to his lord, close
enough to the surface to attack him. Note that there's some dissent on whether you can prepare an action for a 'partial' charge, since the rules let you use a partial charge when you have a confined action but technically that's not your turn... The internet seems split. If you decide you can ready an action to make a partial charge, then Typho is readying his action to charge. If you decide otherwise, he's readying an action to make an attack (specifically a grapple), and as part of that he'll take a 5 foot step and fall off the boat into the water just infront of, or beside Lamorak who is against the boat's hull right now."

I will allow this to be treated as a charge.

"The basic premise of the gambit is Ramfish charges Lamorak. Typho interrupts Ramfish, charging/stepping into the water. Lamorak interrupts Typho, casting True Strike, effecting himself and Typho. Typho resumes his interrupted readied action, making a grapple attack on the Ramfish. It's almost certainly going to be successful because of True Strike. If he was not able to charge, then the Ramrish resumes its turn, possibly making an attack on Lamorak (Them's the breaks). If the Partial Charge is allowed, then Typho can actually wing over, and start flying up, carrying the Ramfish out of the water. Since the internet tells me a shark the size of Ramfish weighs about 800-900 lbs, that's within Typho's Medium carry, and he should be able to haul that thing into the air and, next turn, dump it to die on the deck of the ship."

OK, here's the stuff I need to sort out. First things first, grappling involves moving into the enemies space, this would be water in this case and Typho doesn't have a swim speed or any ranks in swim which is something of an issue to his movement. Also, "A creature cannot gain altitude during a round when it executes a wingover" so I don't think there's anyway out of this where Typho gets out of the water this turn, and next turn he'd have to operate according to the normal rules for starting it's turn in the water, complete with swim checks and the like. A grapple check is also required in addition to the touch attack and I don't think that can be buffed by True strike as it's described as being " like a melee attack roll" rather than actually being an attack roll.

You can definitly have Typho ready an action to jump in the water and try to start a grapple, but I'm telling you there are some complications to it.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-25, 05:33 PM
That all sounds reasonable to me. Okay; scrap the True Strike. Lamorak Readies an action to Assist Another on the Grapple Check. I figure that Lamorak is at the water's surface right now, so when he's attacked, his attacker is going to be no more than 5ft down.
So to grapple it, Typho will only be half submerged, and hopefully able to still use his fly speed to attempt to extract the attacker; sea-hawk style. If that's all workable, we're good. I'll accept the fact that an enemy will likely complete its charge attack on Lamorak for the chance to fish one up!
For Glory!

JbeJ275
2022-02-25, 06:48 PM
IC up, roll for your readied actions and the like.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-25, 07:17 PM
Blast! This is why I never grapple. The more rolls you require to do something, the more certain it is that one of those rolls will just flat fail. Let me know how much damage Lamorak takes, by the way.

Typho probably hits, though a 20 (22 if the unstuffed roll for Lamorak's help isn't a 1, below) grapple check leaves very little likelihood the fish will not escape his grasp.

[roll0]

JbeJ275
2022-02-25, 07:24 PM
You take 15, damage from the Ramfish charging into you.

The touch attack is definitly a success, but yeah that grapple was already going to be a tricky one. Grappling in general is really hard in 3.5 with oppurtunity attacks you need to miss, and attacks you need to hit nd checks you need to beaten them in. It would have been cool to see but yeah, it was a difficult endevour. I'm guessing Drakkensteeds have some attack to get around the first issue, but it's still raarely easy.

[roll0]

And that's a no.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-25, 07:42 PM
cool well great campaign guys I'm out *Lamorak Angrilly folds arms and sinks to the bottom of the sea, to spite the dice.*

But seriously atleast we're flanking the bugger now for the rest of the crew. Let's make fish sticks.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-25, 08:43 PM
Fear not, you've earned even more of Maiabel's respect. Or at least you would, if Lamorak weren't on the opposite side of the ship from her. As it is, she's got her hands full dealing with the nearest ramfish.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-26, 08:40 AM
Are you the Lord of Fishing or the Lord of Darkness? Plus, that would be a very long, lonely wait to drown...

JbeJ275
2022-02-26, 02:25 PM
Plus you can do more stuff on your turn. It was just your readied action that failed.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-26, 10:14 PM
Oh! Well, I ought to set up an action!

Also:

https://i.ibb.co/PDxntFq/Typho.png

...Well hot damn, that was a red hot series of rolls. I'm glad I went with the armor spikes.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-26, 10:34 PM
Oh, I totally forgot the haste attacks and the extra +1 to hit for them!

[roll0] for [roll1]

[roll2] for [roll3] piercing, plus [roll4] sneak.

Oops nm!

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-27, 03:52 AM
I'm afraid I think your haste ran out on the turn the fish were killing porpoises. I originally thought Cypher was going to jump into the water on the same turn he cast Summon Monster, so he refreshed haste then and I think Lamorak was still out of range. He could have cast it just before he actually jumped into the sea on the next turn, but I didn't think to ask to change it at the time, sorry!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-27, 06:38 AM
Dang.

...Hey, are we still blessed? If so, that'd be a +1. Kick that 19 up to a 20.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-27, 07:25 AM
Is high ground a thing under water?

JbeJ275
2022-02-27, 07:38 AM
Is high ground a thing under water?

I’m going to say no…. at least not when one side is swimming and the other is hanging off of a surface instead of both of them walking along a surface underwater.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-27, 08:31 AM
Seems fair. Still, the +1 from bless is legit I think!

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-27, 10:54 AM
How much time has elapsed?

JbeJ275
2022-02-27, 11:34 AM
Doing some quick rounding with the time the ship took to get in range we’ll call it five minutes.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-27, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the delay. Gonna sense motive to see if she's lying.

[roll0]

JbeJ275
2022-02-27, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the delay. Gonna sense motive to see if she's lying.

[roll0]

She does not appear to be lying, or trying to mislead you. Though you’re not sure this is the ‘whole truth’ exactly.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-27, 12:46 PM
Seems fair. Still, the +1 from bless is legit I think!

...I haven't been including that in my calculations, as my intention was to cast it right before the pirate crew boards the enemy vessel, and we went for the deep strike plan instead. I apologize.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-27, 01:08 PM
I completely forgot that you said it lasted for 4 minutes and shouldn't have advised you to hold off when you were asking the group earlier.

MrAbdiel
2022-02-27, 04:25 PM
Ah well! We’re still finding our rhythm. Go team :)

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-27, 06:14 PM
That was far too nice a pep talk for a dark lord, but much appreciated!

What's the betting that some horrible horsey beasts are the gift?

MrAbdiel
2022-02-27, 06:43 PM
That was far too nice a pep talk for a dark lord, but much appreciated!

What's the betting that some horrible horsey beasts are the gift?

Haha, hey, this Dark Lord is all about pep talks. He got his butt kicked fighting alone and got a second chance through the valiant effort of his subordinates/friends. His Dark Leadership philosophy has changed from a very Thanos "Fine, I'll do it myself" to a Voltron "I'll form the head!". :D

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-27, 08:17 PM
Ok. But what is dragging the lock box

Wait, nvm. Chains. I get it

JbeJ275
2022-02-27, 08:20 PM
Ok. But what is dragging the lock box

The chain goes out of the hole, and you can’t see past the churning rushing saltwater.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-02-27, 08:34 PM
Okay! Then tug oh war!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-27, 09:18 PM
Alright. Time to try to not pay for my hubris.

Typho is going to swim towards Lamorak. If he succeeds on his check, he'll ready another action to start moving under the water in the direction his master indicates. If he fails, he'll flail underwater while Lamorak takes an action to put away his shield and then tries to move toward him. If they both fail, I guess they both flail! Since they're both underwater at this point, I'm assuming it's 'calm'? It hasn't been described as particularly violent waters, right? You let me know! Also, is this ship sinking so fast our flagship won't arrive with its crew to start taking remedial measures in time?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-28, 04:54 AM
Oopd, wrong tab!

Welp...I'm in the ship now I suppose. At least Cypher can go start searching for other valuables for a bit if I'm lucky. Would we have any idea how deep the sea floor is from planning the raid with piratical nautical charts, or would a knowledge geography check help? Just to help decide if he'd cut and run quickly or keep underwater looting for a bit.

Waiting to see what happens to Maiabel before cypher responds to Sharkan.

JbeJ275
2022-02-28, 12:03 PM
Oopd, wrong tab!

Welp...I'm in the ship now I suppose. At least Cypher can go start searching for other valuables for a bit if I'm lucky. Would we have any idea how deep the sea floor is from planning the raid with piratical nautical charts, or would a knowledge geography check help? Just to help decide if he'd cut and run quickly or keep underwater looting for a bit.

Waiting to see what happens to Maiabel before cypher responds to Sharkan.

Give me a knowledge Geography for Sea Depth and an Architecture and Engineering for another set of relevant details.

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-28, 12:09 PM
This is very exciting, I've never rolled for geography before!

Knowledge geography [roll0]

Knowledge architecture and engineering [roll1]

JbeJ275
2022-02-28, 12:30 PM
You know that in this area the sea has an average depth of 20 fathoms or 120 feet. The Seabed is silty and sandy rather than rocky so it's unlikely you'll strike any protrusions before that/

You further know, that while the first room was filled quickly and the ship will likely continue to buck and heave a lot as it takes on water it's actually bouyant enough that this hole will take over an hour to sink it entirely. As long as the creatures here can't do any more damage, and with the rest of the fleet in full retreat you think it's likely this ship is still salvagable, even if it'll need to be towed back to your island and take some time to repair.

JbeJ275
2022-02-28, 04:07 PM
Also for future reference, being pinned is all the penalties of being grappled and you can’t move. So it does limit you a lot but you can still cast certain spells, attack with light weapons and things like that.

Dusk Raven
2022-02-28, 04:24 PM
Well, I happen to have light weapons, so perhaps I'll make some attacks with them. Although as I recall you can only attack creatures you're grappling, and I'm currently being grappled by water, so...

Waistcoatwill
2022-02-28, 06:05 PM
You're still adjacent to the Ramfish, I'm sure that counts! Worth a roll anyway.

On that note, is cypher next to the chain to flail at it with a dagger? Is it particularly thick?

Also, really cool ship sinking info Jbe, cheers!

MrAbdiel
2022-02-28, 11:38 PM
Alrighty. I'm gonna proactively make a swim check for Typho, though I don't think it's gonna require much for him to just hit the water and go -down- a bit; and a ride check for Lamorak to stay mounted when submerging which seems fair.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Actually that ride check gets a +2 from skill synergy and +2 from my military saddle, and since the "stay in saddle" DC is typically 5, I think I'm good!

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-01, 02:35 AM
Where did Cypher end up after being sucked into the ship? If he draws his spiked chain would he be able to reach either the hippocampus or the ramfish with a 5ft step?
without stepping fully back into the water? Cypher doesn't want to drop his weapon into the depths if something goes wrong.

@MrAbdiel - I think water breathing lets you use verbal components. I've been wrong many times before in this fight though!

Swim check [roll0]

JbeJ275
2022-03-01, 05:48 AM
Where did Cypher end up after being sucked into the ship? If he draws his spiked chain would he be able to reach either the hippocampus or the ramfish with a 5ft step?
without stepping fully back into the water? Cypher doesn't want to drop his weapon into the depths if something goes wrong.

@MrAbdiel - I think water breathing lets you use verbal components. I've been wrong many times before in this fight though!

Swim check [roll0]

You’re at the back of the flooded broom at the bottom of the ship. Perhaps 20ft away from the gushing waters. You could move and attack the Ramfish but bear in mind the penalties with that sort of thing.

EDIT: Sorry. The Ramfish is still by the hole, the Hippocampi holding the chain is much further out from the hole. You’d definitely need to swim out to get in range of that.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-01, 09:35 AM
Cool, it'll need to be caution to the wind. Cypher has a normal move of 60ft currently and 10ft reach. If he is likely to make it far enough to get to the hippocampus he'll do it. If it looks too far away he'll do a double move to get within 10ft.

He'll Dodge on the Ramfish and gets +4 AC from mobility for AoO (AC 27).

I'll edit the IC post to reflect that later.

JbeJ275
2022-03-01, 11:42 AM
OK, so regarding the chain thing. You're very likely to succeed and you can get 10 feet away with all your movement and taking an AoO from the Ramfish, but you would be able to see the Hippocampi is just dragging the chain downwards. So it'll fall under gravity to just be next to the Hippocampi still, if at that moment the momentum of the chain was heading up it might get pulled back out of the beast's reach, but right now the Hippocami is descending. I might have it make a reflex save to grab hold of it again quickly enough or are you envisioning something else? I like your idea I'm just not sure what this is looking like in your head.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-01, 12:02 PM
maybe sharkan's pushing of the chest will raise the chain out of his reach?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-01, 12:46 PM
maybe sharkan's pushing of the chest will raise the chain out of his reach?

Exactly, ideally turning a tug of war into some unopposed time for Sharkan to pull thr chain back in. I assumed it was pulling the chain sideways rather than down, so I thought just dropping it might also help that goal, but it still help Sharkan a bit.

Edit: Turn-based combat makes it a little tricky to interrupt ongoing things like this but I'm totally happy with whatever makes sense to you with it playing out.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-02, 05:05 PM
Hooray, enemy in full flight. If there's room for sneaky attacks of opportunity, we'll take 'em; but otherwise time to stop it yoinking that chest.

Swim check for ol' Typho. Should be fine unless he totally craps the bed. [roll0]

Edit: And this is why you should carry an Adamantine hatchet, folks. Oof.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-02, 06:08 PM
Isn't picking up an item in 3.5 a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity? So the hippocampus might only be able to do a normal move action after it grabs the chain rather than withdrawing.

Cypher only gets one AoO per round, but either way he should probably get one before the hippocampus starts moving again.

Edit: 15 to hit on that Hail Mary, oh well...last turn of haste this round, I'm guess the hippocampus will have moved out of his range though, is that right? Otherwise all that's left is to power attack the chain and hope to crit. Attempting to grab hold (being dragged) and pick the lock underwater sounds impossible.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-02, 07:26 PM
Lamorak certainly thinks we're at break-the-chain oclock. If you can give me another round without letting any more chain out and Typho and Lamorak can double-attack that weakened chain segment, I think we have it.

I'm imagining this right, aren't I? Hippocampus is trying to pull the lockbox out by the chain, but the box is still on board?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-02, 08:32 PM
Realky clever move there By Sharkan!

Okay, I assume the chain jiggles a bit from being attacked. Does each segment need to be attacked to break it, or is the HP for the whole object? Sorry for the IC physics question! With max power attack and damage halved for being underwater, cypher does 1d4+8 damage, so three attacks might do it.

If he knows that the chain next to him will be unweakened by whatever jiggling is going on then he'll try to disarm again if possible. If the chain looks substantially thicker than normal chain he'll also try to disarm again. If the box hasn't moved very far inside the ship hopefully the hippocampus hasn't moved much either and it'll still be possible to reach it (+/- movement).

Dusk Raven
2022-03-03, 11:02 AM
I admit, I'm not sure what Maiabel should be doing at this time...

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-03, 11:15 AM
Break a Chain? attack a swimming Enemy? help with the Chest?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-03, 12:36 PM
Whack the chain! Don't know if you're close enough to full attack it, but that could be amazing! Your standard dangerous defence strike would be still be really good!

If you have any ability to lock the chain in place (or even damage the chest) that could also be clutch.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-03, 06:30 PM
Break a chain! If we can get a single hit of 15 damage on that thing, it'll break at the point where it's hit. At that point, the battle's basically over. Or else the hippocampus can come back to try for the smaller chain and we'll pound it into goo.

JbeJ275
2022-03-03, 06:57 PM
I mean, it’s a masterwork chain so I changed those numbers a little bit that principle very much stands. It’s very much a breakable item.

Dusk Raven
2022-03-03, 07:55 PM
Well, I did send an attack its way - I assumed I'd have to move more than 5 feet to reach it. I'm not sure how much good I did, though.

JbeJ275
2022-03-03, 08:23 PM
Well, I did send an attack its way - I assumed I'd have to move more than 5 feet to reach it. I'm not sure how much good I did, though.

No you’re still next the hole in the hull. You can reach the chain and still full attack.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-03, 08:33 PM
If anyone had a teleport left, could they.. grab the chest and teleport, and teleport it 'out' of the chain loop?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-03, 11:51 PM
How far would Cypher have to move to get withint 10ft of the hippocampus? He's going to try disarming again (rude not to with Sharkan's set up) but would try to do a little damage to the hippocampus as well if possible.

This is our last turn of haste, so Maiabel should enjoy that extra attack whilst she can! A good damage roll and she could certainly make a big difference!

Edit: is the hippocampus a medium creature?

JbeJ275
2022-03-04, 07:33 AM
If anyone had a teleport left, could they.. grab the chest and teleport, and teleport it 'out' of the chain loop?

Yeah, I'd allow that.

How far would Cypher have to move to get withint 10ft of the hippocampus? He's going to try disarming again (rude not to with Sharkan's set up) but would try to do a little damage to the hippocampus as well if possible.

This is our last turn of haste, so Maiabel should enjoy that extra attack whilst she can! A good damage roll and she could certainly make a big difference!

Edit: is the hippocampus a medium creature?

The Hippocapus is a large creature, like a horse. You'd need to move ten feet, though you do get an AoO on the Hippocampi as well.

Realky clever move there By Sharkan!

Okay, I assume the chain jiggles a bit from being attacked. Does each segment need to be attacked to break it, or is the HP for the whole object? Sorry for the IC physics question! With max power attack and damage halved for being underwater, cypher does 1d4+8 damage, so three attacks might do it.

If he knows that the chain next to him will be unweakened by whatever jiggling is going on then he'll try to disarm again if possible. If the chain looks substantially thicker than normal chain he'll also try to disarm again. If the box hasn't moved very far inside the ship hopefully the hippocampus hasn't moved much either and it'll still be possible to reach it (+/- movement).

Sorry to have overlooked that. I'll treat the HP as being for a ten foot section so you could all move to attack it at once if you so chose. The Box and Hippocampi both moved ten feet so with a swim check you can catch up to it. The chain isn't much thicker than normal, but does seem to be very well made.

Isn't picking up an item in 3.5 a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity? So the hippocampus might only be able to do a normal move action after it grabs the chain rather than withdrawing.

Cypher only gets one AoO per round, but either way he should probably get one before the hippocampus starts moving again.

Edit: 15 to hit on that Hail Mary, oh well...last turn of haste this round, I'm guess the hippocampus will have moved out of his range though, is that right? Otherwise all that's left is to power attack the chain and hope to crit. Attempting to grab hold (being dragged) and pick the lock underwater sounds impossible.
That's correct, though I don't know if that makes sense given that it's grabbing something already in it's face instead of on the floor I'll rule it as such for now. The Hippocampi has moved out of range, but a swim check could let you catch up.

There is some slight confusion here, as strictly RAW the Hippocampi should have moved the box with it's full movement on each of it's turns only being potentially forced back ten feet and so be long gone. However I like the dramatics of his tug of war more so that's how we're doing it.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-04, 08:51 AM
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm loving the tension of this fight! I don't think I've been making very good tactical choices but I'm having good fun.

Cypher totally fluffed his AoO attempt and rolled a 2. Bands of steel only works on medium crearures, which I got confused about as the token was smaller than the ramfish, so he'd have tried a repeat disarm attempt instead of an attack to deliver his stored spell, but the check would only be 25 (and disarming a creature in the process of picking up a weapon may be impossible anyway).

Edit: On his turn he rolled a 1 for his disarm attack roll, which I assume fails unless the hippocampus also rolls a 1. Will do an IC post after work.
He managed a strong Swim check so he'll swim over and try to disarm again and hope the unseen servants make it more effective this time!

MrAbdiel
2022-03-04, 08:53 AM
Wait, have I been imagining the Hippocampus to be further away than I though? How many feet from him to the breech in the hull?

JbeJ275
2022-03-04, 10:03 AM
Wait, have I been imagining the Hippocampus to be further away than I though? How many feet from him to the breech in the hull?

It's like 40ft away, sorry for the misunderstanding as Roll20 really struggles to display verticality.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-04, 11:21 AM
Oh! Oh my, that’s much closer than I thought.

I might give up on breaking the chain and just ride Typho down almost to adjacent to the thing, then grab the chain and start hand over hand climbing it. Like a terminator. Then it can decide if it wants to be stubborn or not.

JbeJ275
2022-03-04, 11:32 AM
You can, the issue will be that even on a successful check a creature can only move one quarter of its land speed as a move action.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-05, 05:10 PM
Woop woop, nice one folks! Nail-biting stuff there.

Great twists and turns in those encounters JBE, it was brilliant fun!

I'm very excited about the XP too, it's been too long since I've played a non-milestone game. I'll have to ponder long and hard about if I want to take a crafting feat in the future but it might open up the option of a PHBII companion spirit for the team in the shorter term. There are some handy options that might help with team stealth etc., might be worth a look.

Cypher will be keen to interrogate Sharkan's new pal if given the go ahead by the others. Just to make sure that she doesn't have any noble intentions.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-05, 05:51 PM
Hooray! Score one for the bad guys. I've set up a little IC debrief scene while we do the OOC stuff. But for me, a new priority has become: kit out the retinue to perform in aquatic encounters at full capacity! I certainly felt challenged.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-05, 10:37 PM
yay we have a now irritating woman who gets to live!

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-06, 06:49 AM
If we can get Lamorak a +2 boost to his wisdom you could prep steed of the seas for Typho.

I'd overlooked the Swim spell before and Cypher could give one of the group a swim speed for 80mins. With a spell storing spirit companion that could become 30 mind of swim speed for everyone instead.

Edit: A least crystal of aquatic adaptation would also sort Lamorak's ACP for swimming.

Dusk Raven
2022-03-06, 01:53 PM
Been a while since I've done underwater combat in 3.5. Fortunately, Maiabel has piercing weapons, and even though I only put a single rank in Swim, I rolled well. All in all, a good fight, although I was starting to worry about Maiabel's HP for a bit.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-07, 07:11 AM
Set it up for a dramatic IC reveal of what's in the box. But after that, it's time to SCHEEEEEEME.

And scheme and scheme.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-07, 08:04 AM
If the lock isn't totally mangled Cypher will have a go with his lock picks. Has enough post combat time passed for any of his Inspiration Points to have refreshed? If it looks battered beyond the reach of lockpicks he'll power attack it with his whip-blade, but feel embarrassed about it.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-07, 08:19 AM
He can take 10 for like 25 right? If that's not enough to pop it, I wouldn't be too embarassed!

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-07, 08:33 AM
Sure, but he's the kind of person to look at cutting the Gordian knot as barbaric cheating! Once a day (for 1IP) he could boost that open lock by another +8, but he tapped out during the fight.

JbeJ275
2022-03-07, 09:17 AM
If the lock isn't totally mangled Cypher will have a go with his lock picks. Has enough post combat time passed for any of his Inspiration Points to have refreshed? If it looks battered beyond the reach of lockpicks he'll power attack it with his whip-blade, but feel embarrassed about it.
Yeah. We’ll say IP refreshes at the end of combat. Your regular result having taken ten was enough to pop the lock though.

EDIT: Sharkan did you ever give me that detect motive I asked for?

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-07, 10:40 AM
I did earlier and got a result, but here is another one.

[roll0] sense Motive

LOL

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-07, 05:14 PM
Wow, does he trust her so much he won't let Cypher do a detect thoughts interrogation when they get home maybe? We have a proper live wire in our midst!

Cheers JBE. Inspiration is one of those things where they didn't spell out the mechanic fully. Officially they reset at the start of an encounter, but they never defined whether that was combat encounters only or also social/exploration encounters etc. It possible to end up with a weird situation where a Factotum planning a big heist or something over weeks has to keep a supply of small rabid animals to fight to keep his skills and spells available.

A lot of the abilities are limited to a certain number of times per day, so any reset mechanism shouldn't be too problematic, but feel free to tinker if you think he's getting too much use out of inspiration. I've seen threads online recommending limiting it to one point regained per X unit time out of combat too.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-07, 06:24 PM
Naw. Feel free!

MrAbdiel
2022-03-07, 08:38 PM
Good heals, Maiabel. Lamorak is topped off with the one cast!

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-08, 06:32 AM
Naw. Feel free!

Fancy a joint effort with Sharkan's charming good cop to Cypher's intimidating bad cop? Does Sharkan have the aura that gives a penalty to saves? Might make detect thoughts more reliable.

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-08, 06:59 AM
unfortunatly not, Sharkan is a sup friendly man eater.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-08, 07:03 AM
Fancy a joint effort with Sharkan's charming good cop to Cypher's intimidating bad cop? Does Sharkan have the aura that gives a penalty to saves? Might make detect thoughts more reliable.

Lamorak has such an aura. Or two!

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-08, 07:10 AM
Nice, the bonus of having two folk with levels in Paladin of Tyranny! This might have been beneath the boss previously, but I suppose we haven't had any new recruits for a while?!

JbeJ275
2022-03-08, 09:02 AM
So are you talking to Aulani on deck in front of the pirates and others? Or taking her into a room below decks to interrogate her?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-08, 10:43 AM
Cypher didn't prep detect thoughts for the battle, so ideally he'd wait until we got back to base, lock her up (semi comfortably since she is a potential ally), then do it the next day.

Edit: He is in full librarian mode looking over the crown and trying to figure out where he has heard of something like it before, so would be far too preoccupied to pay much attention to her currently.

Paranoid characters are fun, but it's also fun when a spanner gets thrown in the works for thr party. No sense stopping her from potentially getting up to mischief completely. It'll all be Sharkan's fault anyway!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-08, 12:04 PM
Hrm, It would be a public inquiry, but not in the middle of opening the box, the discussion can be in front of the pirates, but not a distraction from whats going on.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-08, 03:43 PM
Well that sounds epic! Thank badness that uppity fish didn't splash off with it!

MrAbdiel
2022-03-12, 06:06 AM
Okay! Sorry for slow response. Lamorak is obviously very interest in this infinity crown and acquiring its gems - but as a man with a history with cursed items, he's not going to whack it on his dome right away!

I think all that needs to happen before we return to the castle is... maybe negotiation with the pirates, and the interrogation of the prisoner - both which may or may not be happening abstractly offscreen?

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-12, 07:29 AM
@Jbe - weird spell-related question. Hoard gullet (Dragon Magic) says that you can store anything you can safely swallow in a magic extradimensional stomach, including items 3 sizes or more smaller than you. Is the crown diminutive so that Cypher could magically store it in his gob overnight? It isn't spiky, so it should be technically safe.

@Team Thanos - How do folk want to handle loot? It doesn't seem like a "magic marts on every corner" kind of world (at the very least not our grim Isle anyway) so we could just put it all in the Dark Lord's treasury. If we split it up, would it be 4 ways or split it 5 ways with the 5th being for general party funds like healing magics?

Dusk Raven
2022-03-12, 12:40 PM
@Team Thanos - How do folk want to handle loot? It doesn't seem like a "magic marts on every corner" kind of world (at the very least not our grim Isle anyway) so we could just put it all in the Dark Lord's treasury. If we split it up, would it be 4 ways or split it 5 ways with the 5th being for general party funds like healing magics?

Honestly, I just figured Lamorak would put all the loot in his treasury and ration it out as needed. An unexpected downside to having one party member being the designated lord is that loot may not be rationed equally. XP

In the meantime, I commissioned an artist (https://www.deviantart.com/serapphinevanithas/art/S-200222-909221097) to draw some art of Maiabel! Here's the updated picture!
https://i.imgur.com/MvxhkJa.jpg

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-12, 02:48 PM
Wow, that's really cool!

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-12, 07:19 PM
Yea, unless our lord leaves it up to us to divy out loot, well look to him to see how he wants loot done.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-12, 08:06 PM
I could do that. I’ve been loosely assuming that the loot we wind up with is the “character budget”, in that there’s a sea of coin being used to maintain the kingdom and pay the army and whatnot that doesn’t need to be micromanaged: but I did assume that!

I’m pretty happy for a 4 way split with an abstract assumption that Lamorak is also taking some additional share in which to debauch offscreen.

JbeJ275
2022-03-12, 09:15 PM
I could do that. I’ve been loosely assuming that the loot we wind up with is the “character budget”, in that there’s a sea of coin being used to maintain the kingdom and pay the army and whatnot that doesn’t need to be micromanaged: but I did assume that!

I’m pretty happy for a 4 way split with an abstract assumption that Lamorak is also taking some additional share in which to debauch offscreen.

This is how I’m running things. For instance the pirates have been paid enough to not feel cheated before your share. But money can transfer between them, for instance if you want to richly reward the pirates to give a better chance of their loyalty going forward out of your personal account you could, and if you want to tax your population extra tightly this month for healing potion money you can do that too, though it’ll have equivalent consequences.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-13, 03:00 AM
Shall we give the pirates an extra 1k gp to sweeten the deal a bit? More/less?

MrAbdiel
2022-03-14, 03:41 AM
Not this time, I think. They’ll get what they were promised and they’ll like it. We need that money to make ourselves into unstoppable killing machines because we have a lot of people trying to lay us low!

If the pirates get shirty, we’ll find a civilised solution to their grievances. But one day they will look back and think fondly of the days when they had any kind of power in this dynamic.

Rarglebargle darklord

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-14, 05:55 AM
I like it! Maybe next time they can go above and beyond and actually impact the raid in some way more profound than towing the prize back home!

MrAbdiel
2022-03-16, 05:52 AM
I hope it's no issue, but I sort of warped us back to a semi-scene halfway between the victory and sea, and actually scheming together in the castle. Since the hunt for this missing gal is still on, I thought it'd be interesting to respond to Zukkad's bailing out in the same sort of region. And to do some general, ambient dark-lording.

Oh! And DuskRaven - Maiabel looks awesome. How pricy was the commission, if you don't mind me asking? You're inspiring me to fork over some dough to get Lamorak drawn now, and if the same artist does it, they'll have a uniform style. But you know.. subject to my liquidity, lol.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-16, 06:39 AM
What kind of roll would it be to see if her face reminded him of anyone from intelligence reports now that Cypher is a bit less distracted?

Dusk Raven
2022-03-16, 02:14 PM
Oh! And DuskRaven - Maiabel looks awesome. How pricy was the commission, if you don't mind me asking? You're inspiring me to fork over some dough to get Lamorak drawn now, and if the same artist does it, they'll have a uniform style. But you know.. subject to my liquidity, lol.

I'm glad you like her! And that cost me $90. Money well spent, in my opinion. The artist does good work, and that's not the first character of mine they've drawn!

JbeJ275
2022-03-16, 04:22 PM
What kind of roll would it be to see if her face reminded him of anyone from intelligence reports now that Cypher is a bit less distracted?

Hmmm…. Ideally professional skill (Spymaster) if you have it. But failing that gather information rolled with Int instead of Cha is the best idea I have, but I’m happy to hear suggestions for something more fitting.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-16, 05:44 PM
He doesn't currently have any ranks in profession (I've never had a character with ranks in profession because I've never been sure how to use it to be honest). I will rectify that next level. I had been pumping up gather information for him to represent that, so I could just switch them over if you think that makes sense?

Gather info with Int sounds perfect!

MrAbdiel
2022-03-16, 09:06 PM
Should I be… taking profession: Hegemon or something? I feel like I’m the only one not paying a profession tax! XD

JbeJ275
2022-03-16, 09:24 PM
He doesn't currently have any ranks in profession (I've never had a character with ranks in profession because I've never been sure how to use it to be honest). I will rectify that next level. I had been pumping up gather information for him to represent that, so I could just switch them over if you think that makes sense?

Gather info with Int sounds perfect!

I didn’t until I also started playing GURPS which also has profession skills but uses them fairly differently and skills in general cover more things. Basically, I’ll let you use it in many contexts relevant to gathering information on an organisational scale and anywhere else those skills seem like the most relevant thing.

As for Lanorak, you could always take Professional Skill: General or Admiral. Which I might ask for in more complex engagements to see how much control you get in your deployments or things like that

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-17, 03:57 AM
That sounds ideal, I definitely saw him as effective on an organisational scale but terrible at wandering into a bar and chatting to people to get the local gossip. He'll need to leave that up to his more charming and charismatic colleagues.

If that's okay I'll swap the skill ranks out of gather information then? That roll would only be 42 without the skill synergy bonus.

Edit: @Darius - Cypher doesn't completely trust Sharkan, is it okay of he probes his background a little whilst discussing the missing woman?

Darius Vibrtrar
2022-03-17, 04:14 PM
I get that, feel free to try.

JbeJ275
2022-03-17, 06:08 PM
That sounds ideal, I definitely saw him as effective on an organisational scale but terrible at wandering into a bar and chatting to people to get the local gossip. He'll need to leave that up to his more charming and charismatic colleagues.

If that's okay I'll swap the skill ranks out of gather information then? That roll would only be 42 without the skill synergy bonus.

Edit: @Darius - Cypher doesn't completely trust Sharkan, is it okay of he probes his background a little whilst discussing the missing woman?

Feel free to swap those over.

Honestly, I just figured Lamorak would put all the loot in his treasury and ration it out as needed. An unexpected downside to having one party member being the designated lord is that loot may not be rationed equally. XP

In the meantime, I commissioned an artist (https://www.deviantart.com/serapphinevanithas/art/S-200222-909221097) to draw some art of Maiabel! Here's the updated picture!
https://i.imgur.com/MvxhkJa.jpg

Also I kind of let this pass at first but this image is so great. I really love it.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-18, 05:56 AM
Cheers, the skill points are now swapped!

He's jumping on the possible Gift of the Moon shapeshifter theory as he's already suspicious about the potential were-tiger spy in front of him. Once he's managed to get a night's rest and prepare new spells he'll try to make sure there's no one hanging around their immediate vicinity undetected.

MrAbdiel
2022-03-19, 09:38 PM
I did a scene-shifter post! JBE, tell me if I ever presume too much about my adlibbing descriptions or scene movements. I'm just trying to manage the way that Lamorak is sort of the nucleus of the scene, and to not require everyone to come over to him and wait politely for us to be done at a given time! ;)

Also, that loot. Did someone already do the split? If so, ignore below.

4,000 Gold Pieces,
150 Platinum pieces and
20,000 silver
3 potions of lesser restoration
2 potions of cure serious wounds,
20 small vials each holding a potion of cure light wounds
2 potions of water walk.

Well, the coin splits easily enough 4 ways. Everyone gets:

505GP
37PP
5000SP
5 Potions of Cure Light Wounds

I'll take one of those Cure Serious and a Lesser Resto, since I'm a particularly high value target for our enemies and also prone to being isolated in the air. The rest...

1 Cure Serious
2 Water Walk
2 Lesser Resto

I recommend giving to Cypher, mostly because he has a Haversack to put them in/access them quickly, and is reasonably mobile, so he'll be a good dispensery.

Waistcoatwill
2022-03-20, 03:21 AM
Thanks for doing the breakdown! Cypher can be team waterboy if everyone is happy. Have we had a night's sleep before this meeting?

@JbeJ275: Would a 100gp pearl for identifying the crown be available on the island? What about paper and ink etc for writing spells into a spellbook?

Edit: Since we found out about the disappearance before getting home, Cypher will instead prep Rope trick, See invisibility, and Summon Monster 2 as his arcane Dilettante Spells for the next day.

The plan will be to see if the hounds catch any funny scents they can track. If that fails he'll use see invisibility and Detect thoughts to try to make sure they aren't still hanging around on the ship and haven't infiltrated our rooms in the castle.

Edit 2: Once he is sure he can't find any physical evidence or immediate threat Cypher will focus in on the name 'Aulani' and any beings thought to be connected to the crown. He'd definitely go through all the motions of using hounds, see invisibility, and Detect thoughts first before spending more time hitting the books.