PDA

View Full Version : What kind of spells would work well as custom incantations?

Yora
2022-02-09, 12:54 AM
Warlocks by default only have two spells per rest in the lower levels, which really isn't a lot. That's where unlimited cantrips come into the picture, but they still only get up to 4; 7 with the pact of the tome. Falling back to primarily rely on just eldritch blast is very tempting, but not very interesting.

Incantations can expand those two spells per rest quite considerably. There's the ones that you can cast unlimited times like cantrips, and the ones that can be cast with a spell slot, but only once per long rest.
The first type of incantation seems very useful to have, while the second type to me looks pretty awful.

When turning more spells into incantations for warlocks, what parameters narrow down which spells would be good candidates for either type of incantation, to still be useful but not massively upending the average power of warlocks?

The spells that can be cast unlimited times with an incantation are mage armor, levitate, speak with animals, detect magic, false life, disguise self, alter self, silent image, arcane eye, speak with dead. None of which are offensive spells. Most are divination type spells, and a couple more illusions. Then there's mage armor and false life as protection spells, and levitate.
In contrast, bane is a spell that can be cast once per long rest by using a spell slot. True, it's a spell that has its use in combat, but for that cost it seems really lame. Compulsion just seems like a terrible spell under any circumstances. Slow is nice. And polymorph, bestow curse, and conjure elemental sound like something you'd actually want to invest a limited resource in

Kane0
2022-02-09, 01:11 AM
I just houserule that those once per long rest spell invocations also give you one free casting per long rest without using a pact magic slot. That seems to make them much more enticing for my players, especially the ones that want to emphasise the casting of their warlock.

A 1st or maybe 2nd level attack spell seems appropriate with say a level 5 requirement, same with 3rd/4th at level 9. Preferably not the best options though, so more like minute meteors instead of fireball.