PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Divine [Magic Item]

Lady Tialait
2007-11-22, 01:52 AM
this is one of my favorate items to throw at low-mid level parties. So i'll share it with ya'll

Sword of the Divine
Price: -----
Body Slot: ----- (Held)
Caster Level: 20th
Aura: None
Activation: By Casting a Divine Spells (uncharged) or by Strikeing anything with the weapon.
Weight: 1lbs

This Silver Sword seems spotlessly Clean.
or
This Silver Sword glows with a light not unlike Celestia
or
This Silver Sword glows with a darkness that tears at your soul.

The Sword of the Divine has the power to 'Absorb' Divine Magic. Anytime a Divine Spell is cast near a uncharged Sword of the Divine it gains the Holy or Unholy type according to the alignment of the caster or source of the spell. The next time the sword is used to strike anything the sword will release a copy of the spell and no longer be charged.

What do you think? and could I get a fair market value for it?

Xefas
2007-11-22, 02:49 AM
Well, it's tough to price.

Spell Storing (a +1 bonus) replicates the "put a spell into it, and then automatically cast it on someone when you hit them", except that Spell Storing only works on level 1-3 spells.

And there's normal Holy, which is a +2 bonus.

Together it would be around 20,000gp (can't find an exact price because you didn't specify what kind of sword it is).

So, the deciding factors are that the Spell Storing only works on divine spell, but works on any, regardless of level, and that the Holy ability only works some of the time.

Given that, I'd probably put it at 32,000ish (because the Holy portion seems like only a +1, and the Spell Storing sounds more like a +3 to me).

However, I'm not clear on what you meant by "...is cast near a uncharged Sword...". Does that mean it also absorbs harmful spells that come your way, as well as your own? Or was that just flavor text? If it auto-absorbs any divine spells within some kind of radius, then the price would be FAR higher.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-22, 03:44 AM
yea for clearance it does auto-absorb..sorta....the spell is still cast. it's effect will be cast either way. The sword gets a 'copy' of the sword as part of it's charge. I.E. If someone within range (30ft.) cast Blasphamy and the sword was uncharged. The sword (say a Longsword) would become a Unholy Longsword till the next time it attacked. the it would hit AND cast blasphamy. as if the sword was casting it. (needless to say if this was a CG weilder they would have to save against the sword. loose a level for the unholy and all that jazz)

I guess that clerification was needed...

Sad thing is if someone cast HEAL within 30ft of that sword..it would hit for damage and heal the person you just hit for 10/casterlevel worth of damage...

Xefas
2007-11-22, 04:27 AM
yea for clearance it does auto-absorb..sorta....the spell is still cast. it's effect will be cast either way. The sword gets a 'copy' of the sword as part of it's charge. I.E. If someone within range (30ft.) cast Blasphamy and the sword was uncharged. The sword (say a Longsword) would become a Unholy Longsword till the next time it attacked. the it would hit AND cast blasphamy. as if the sword was casting it. (needless to say if this was a CG weilder they would have to save against the sword. loose a level for the unholy and all that jazz)

I guess that clerification was needed...

Sad thing is if someone cast HEAL within 30ft of that sword..it would hit for damage and heal the person you just hit for 10/casterlevel worth of damage...

I think in the case of "Heal", I'd opt to take a -4 penalty to the attack roll to deal nonlethal damage, and conk myself on the head (which I assume doesn't require an attack roll). Same with any buffs.

Anyway, that makes it harder to price. The party cleric essentially gets two spells for the price of one every single time (see above), making it crazy powerful, especially if the PCs actually plan around that strategy.

Maybe just make it a Minor Artifact and be done with it. Those don't need a price, and are generally ones with strange powers like the one your sword has.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-22, 04:42 AM
I was thinking that..

I still don't think a party would carry one around alot...I personally wouldn't want one..I'm sorry but 2xing my Cleric spells isn't worth giveing up my sword or having to deal with 2x the Evil cleric..and half of witch is me hitting me.