PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmarks and Aberrant Mind

Segev
2022-02-09, 11:33 AM
"Spells of the Mark" is a trait on dragonmarked race variants. I am particularly looking at the Mark of Handling human, but I think it is true for all of them.

It doesn't actually give bonus spells, but it instead adds spells to your class spell list.

The aberrant mind sorcerer's psionic spells can only be swapped out for Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spells, and only the psionic spells can benefit from psychic magic and be cast for cheap SP cost with no components. However, if any of your Spells of the Mark are Enchantments or Divinations, they can be swapped into the psionuc spells trait's list, even if they are not on any of the usually-allowed lists, because they are Sorcerer spells for the Aberrant-minded Dragonmarked Sorcerer!

As a side question, innate spellcasting doesn't inherently stop requiring components does it? The yuan-ti's at will animal friendship on snakes still requires V, S, and M components?

KyleG
2022-02-09, 12:51 PM
Of the marked spells only Dominate Beast qualifies if i understand you correctly.

Khrysaes
2022-02-09, 01:23 PM
Of the marked spells only Dominate Beast qualifies if i understand you correctly.

Multiple edits. Added the sources of each spell

There are others.
Animal friendship. (Mark of Handling, Selesnya)
Animal messenger. (Scribing, Selesnya)
Beast sense (Handling, Gruul)
Calm emotion (Hospitality, Handling, Silverquill, Azorius, Selesnya)
Compelled duel (Sentinel, Gruul)
Commune with nature (Finding, Selesnya)
Zone of truth (Sentinel, Orzhov)
Detect evil and good (Detection)
Detect poison and disease (Detection, Simic)
Locate plants and animals (Finding)
Hunters mark (Finding)
Find traps (Detection)
Speak with animals (Handling, Gruul)

Im not sure which of these, if any, are added to wiz, wrlk, or sorc in tashas. But they are div or enchantment spells from dragonmarks not on those lists

Same concept applies to ravnica and strixhaven bacgrounds.

The ravnica ones have many of the above ones, and add
command (Azorius, Orzhov)
(Orzhov also gets spirit guardians, which while not Aberrant mind capable, is still good)
(Azorius gets Counterspell, but I think Sorc already gets that)
Compulsion (Azorius, Silverquill)
Dissonant whispers (Rakdos, Silverquill)
Heroism (Boros)

Just checked Strixhave, the only one with any non Sorc, Wiz, or Wrlk, spells of Enchantment or Divination is Silverquill with
Dissonant Whispers
Compulsion
Calm Emotions

Edit number…5?
Dont forget to look at the other spells a sorcerer normally doesnt get.

Segev
2022-02-09, 02:08 PM
Unless I'm seriously mistaking something, animal friendship is also in Mark of Handling.

Khrysaes
2022-02-09, 02:42 PM
Unless I'm seriously mistaking something, animal friendship is also in Mark of Handling.

I may have mistyped. Fixed

Evaar
2022-02-09, 02:54 PM
The aberrant mind sorcerer's psionic spells can only be swapped out for Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spells, and only the psionic spells can benefit from psychic magic and be cast for cheap SP cost with no components. However, if any of your Spells of the Mark are Enchantments or Divinations, they can be swapped into the psionuc spells trait's list, even if they are not on any of the usually-allowed lists, because they are Sorcerer spells for the Aberrant-minded Dragonmarked Sorcerer!

As a side question, innate spellcasting doesn't inherently stop requiring components does it? The yuan-ti's at will animal friendship on snakes still requires V, S, and M components?

I had to read that first paragraph a few times to get it, but now I see what you're saying. If you had, for example, Bless on your Dragonmark spell list, you could select it as one of your Psionic spells because it's an Enchantment spell even though it doesn't appear on the Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard spell lists. And in doing so, you'd gain the ability to cast it psionically. You could ALSO just choose it as one of your standard Sorcerer spells, but you wouldn't be able to cast it psionically if you did that.

On your side question - correct, if the trait doesn't specify that you don't need components then you still need them. Contrast with the Descendent of Mammon Tiefling, who can "cast the Arcane Lock spell once with this trait, requiring no material component..."

Kane0
2022-02-09, 03:49 PM
Neat trick. Does it also apply to backgrounds that add to spell list?

Khrysaes
2022-02-09, 03:59 PM
Neat trick. Does it also apply to backgrounds that add to spell list?

It should since they add the spells to your class lists. Hence why i listed the divination and enchantment spells from ravnica and silverquill. The other strixhaven backgrounds dont have spells not already on wizard sorcerer ir warlock spell lists.

Segev
2022-02-09, 05:25 PM
It should since they add the spells to your class lists. Hence why i listed the divination and enchantment spells from ravnica and silverquill. The other strixhaven backgrounds dont have spells not already on wizard sorcerer ir warlock spell lists.

Agreed; anything that says it adds it to your sorcerer, warlock, or wizard list would make it available to the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer's psionic spells feature (provided it was also the right school).

And thanks for those lists!

Khrysaes
2022-02-12, 03:09 PM
A small bit of necromancy, but

For clockwork soul: Abjuration and Transmutation spells not on the Sorcerer, Wizard, or Warlock spell lists but available via Dragonmarks or Backgrounds

Unfortunately, I unlike Aberrant, I don't believe there is a specific reason to add these spells to the bonus spell list as opposed to a normal spell known.

Spells:
Goodberry (Hospitality)
Create or Destroy Water (Izzet)
Purify Food and Drink (Hospitality)
Shield of Faith (Sentinel)
Heat Metal (Izzet)
Protection from Poison (Golgari)
Aid (Hospitality, boros, selesnya)
Lesser Restoration (Healing, Clockwork Soul, Witherbloom)
Pass without a trace (Shadow, Dimir)
Warding Bond (Sentinel, Selesnya)
Beacon of Hope (Handling, Boros, Silverquill)
Elemental Weapon (Making, Izzet)
Meld into Stone (Dimir)
Plant Growth (golgary, Selesnya)
Speak with plants (Finding, Selesnya)
Aura of Life (Healing, Handling, Selesnya)
Aura of Purity (Healing, Hospitality)
Death Ward (Sentinel, Boros, Orzhov, Witherbloom)
Freedom of Movement (Passage, Dimir, Simic, Clockwork Soul, Quandrix)
Antilife Shell (Warding, Witherbloom)
Giant Insect (Golgari)
Awaken (Handling, Selesnya)
Greater Restoration (Healing, Clockwork Soul, Witherbloom)
Circle of Power (Quandrix)

You don't need the ones with clockwork soul