PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Gelatenous Cube questions

anamiac
2022-02-09, 03:36 PM
It's my turn to be the DM, and one of the antagonists is a Gelatinous Cube, and I need to figure out how it's going to operate. I know Gelatinous Cubes don't normally qualify as a character class, but this one has a divine spark that grants it a greater degree of free will and intelligence than your average ooze. It's also insane, but that's for an unrelated reason.

1. What Level adjustment would be fair for this Gelatinous cube? It's CR 3.

Str 10, Dex 1, Con 26, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
My second question is about the racial stat modifiers. Looking at the above, would it be dex -9, con+16, int-10, wis -9, cha -9? So, if we did 36 point buy with 14's across the board, then the stats would be Str 14, Dex 5, Con 30, Int 4, Wis 5, Cha 5?

Engulf: Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cube, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 13 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the cube moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the cube’s paralysis and acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

How far can a gelatinous cube move with the engulf ability? Is it the cube's movement speed (15 feet) in any combination of directions, or is it more of a charge attack, meaning twice the movement speed but restricted to a straight line? Since Engulf is a standard action, does that mean the cube can also take a move action on its turn?

ACID: A gelatinous cube’s acid does not harm metal or stone.

Ooze Type: Some oozes have the ability to deal acid damage to objects. In such a case, the amount of damage is equal to 10 + ˝ ooze’s HD + ooze’s Con modifier per full round of contact.

Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid)
How much acid damage does an engulfed character take each round? The text in the ooze type description talks about objects, not people. Does it apply to people engulfed by the cube? It looks like a lot more than the acid damage in the slam attack.

loky1109
2022-02-09, 03:41 PM
Try to look here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=22127357&postcount=818).

InvisibleBison
2022-02-09, 05:35 PM
1) As loky said, the LA Reassignment Thread is a useful place to check for monster level adjustment. The consensus there was that a gelatinous cube should have LA +0. However, since you're the DM and are designing an NPC, I don't see why the level adjustment matters.

2) Not quite. Racial stat modifiers are always even, and are equal to the ability minus ten for even abilities or the ability minus eleven for odd abilities. Thus, a gelatinous cube's modifiers would be Dex -10, Con +16, Wis -10, Cha -10. It doesn't have an Int modifier because it's mindless; however, since you're making a special non-mindless cube you can treat it as having a -10 Int modifier if you want.

3) I believe a gelatinous cube can move up to its speed while engulfing, with turning freely around. It doesn't seem to be a variant on a charge. I'm pretty sure the only reason it uses a standard action and not a move action is to stop the ooze from doing it twice in one round.

4) I'd say that engulfed creatures take 1d6 acid damage per round, mostly because the alternative is 22 points of damage per round, and that seems too high for a CR 3 creature.

Mike Miller
2022-02-09, 10:07 PM
Have you considered the Gelatinous Creature template instead? I forget where, maybe Savage Species?

anamiac
2022-02-10, 01:46 PM
1) As loky said, the LA Reassignment Thread is a useful place to check for monster level adjustment. The consensus there was that a gelatinous cube should have LA +0. However, since you're the DM and are designing an NPC, I don't see why the level adjustment matters.

2) Not quite. Racial stat modifiers are always even, and are equal to the ability minus ten for even abilities or the ability minus eleven for odd abilities. Thus, a gelatinous cube's modifiers would be Dex -10, Con +16, Wis -10, Cha -10. It doesn't have an Int modifier because it's mindless; however, since you're making a special non-mindless cube you can treat it as having a -10 Int modifier if you want.

3) I believe a gelatinous cube can move up to its speed while engulfing, with turning freely around. It doesn't seem to be a variant on a charge. I'm pretty sure the only reason it uses a standard action and not a move action is to stop the ooze from doing it twice in one round.

4) I'd say that engulfed creatures take 1d6 acid damage per round, mostly because the alternative is 22 points of damage per round, and that seems too high for a CR 3 creature.

Thanks, I think that gives me everything I need :smallsmile:

Darrin
2022-02-10, 04:36 PM
Thanks, I think that gives me everything I need :smallsmile:

Sorry, but you mentioned "gelatinous cube" and that is one of my favorite things.

See this post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=22239540&postcount=6) for some information on finding/making intelligent oozes.

Briefly: to make a gelatinous cube playable, you need to give it an Int score of at least 3. This is usually done through "template shenanigans". You can do this by adding the Fiendish template, as one of the designers noted in an Elite Opponents article awhile back... WotC archives are gone and the wayback machine is down, so unfortunately I can't give you a link to the Fiendish Monk Gelatinous Cube. (The Pseudonatural template in Complete Arcane will also work, but the LA is less clear.)

I did create Orthagonel Velodrake (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=16886796&postcount=204) for Iron Chef LIII: Zerth Cenobyte (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?325164-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LIII). I used Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) + Half-Dragon (MM) to get him an Int of 4. For level adjustment, I used Half-Dragon as LA +3 and hand-waved the rest as "Uh... just don't think too hard about it."

Whatever templates you use, it's more than reasonable to say, "Yeah, it's insane. Roll a Fort save vs. paralysis."

Note: You can add a "rider" to the cube via an Amulet of Ooze Riding (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 85). If you need an NPC that's immune to the acid/paralysis, Ker'plunk the Jellobomber (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=18994487&postcount=27) can carpet-bomb the PCs with an infinite number of cubes.