PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rules Clarification for Large Bows

frankbelmont
2022-02-10, 03:52 AM
Hi!!!I wanted to ask if a medium size character can use a large longbow with a -2 penalty to attack rolls in a core only game (DMG,PHB,MM). I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I know that you can for example wield a large bastard since it can be considered a one handed weapon with a -2 penalty and the exotic feat. For me the penalty is appropriate but the rules imply that two handed weapons can't be large which is stupid cause with a petty amount of 6000gp you can buy strongarm bracers (half cost if you craft them) and wield it with no penalty. So is it possible by raw to use a large longbow? If yes what about crossbows? Repeating crossbows? Exotic great Bow/Crossbow? Please lend me your thoughts and thank you in advance.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-02-10, 04:04 AM
A longbow (or a shortbow) is a two-handed weapon. You can't wield one which is too large for you (if you want an in-universe explanation, your arms are too short to draw the string far enough for the arrow to be properly shot.). Plus, these weapons have an additional restriction: "You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size.", so you can use a Small longbow (with the usual -2 penalty), but it would still take two hands.

If you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), then it's a one-handed weapon for you, and it makes sense you can wield a Large one using two hands.

Crossbows, however, are one-handed weapons. You can definitely wield a Large Heavy Crossbow (but you need two-hands to press the trigger, it seems, or one hand on the handle and one on the trigger).

Aracor
2022-02-10, 11:42 AM
A longbow (or a shortbow) is a two-handed weapon. You can't wield one which is too large for you (if you want an in-universe explanation, your arms are too short to draw the string far enough for the arrow to be properly shot.). Plus, these weapons have an additional restriction: "You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size.", so you can use a Small longbow (with the usual -2 penalty), but it would still take two hands.

If you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), then it's a one-handed weapon for you, and it makes sense you can wield a Large one using two hands.

Crossbows, however, are one-handed weapons. You can definitely wield a Large Heavy Crossbow (but you need two-hands to press the trigger, it seems, or one hand on the handle and one on the trigger).

According to the crossbow entry, it IS a two-handed weapon that has an additional caveat of "you can use it one-handed with a -4 to attack". So that means you can't use one designed for a large creature without something like Strongarm Bracers - and those will work fine for a longbow as well.

Gruftzwerg
2022-02-10, 11:56 PM
Imho this doesn't work at all by RAW because of the rules for Inappropriately Sized Weapons:

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapons that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

The rules only give you permission to use melee weapons of a different size. The rules differentiates between the "melee weapon categories" and not "if the weapon is designed to be used as 1h or 2h weapon".
The category "Ranged Weapons" is untouched by this rule.

Thus, you can only use ranged weapon designed for your specific size only by RAW.

This is not a play advice, just what RAW would dictate, if your DM should decide to follow it. But I would suggest to maybe houserule a less restrictive interpretation of the rules (RAI). I mean, oversized ranged weapons like a bow may be difficult, but at least those intended for a user who is one size category smaller shouldn't be that much of a problem (except the -2 penalty).
Discuss this with your DM, because RAW is a bit silly here.