PDA

View Full Version : New use for Daern's instant fortress

Da Beast
2007-11-22, 03:01 AM
1. Attach shrunken fortress to a ballista bolt.
2. Launch bolt.
3. As the bolt is launching speak the command word.
4. Enjoy.

Sure, you just used 55,000 gold on one attack that there aren't even rules for, but the look on your DM's face should make it all worth while.

Yvanehtnioj
2007-11-22, 03:31 AM
1. I need to get me one of those.

2. That is a very cool (and funny) idea.

Talic
2007-11-22, 03:37 AM
1. Attach shrunken fortress to a ballista bolt.
2. Launch bolt.
3. As the bolt is launching speak the command word.
4. Enjoy.

Sure, you just used 55,000 gold on one attack that there aren't even rules for, but the look on your DM's face should make it all worth while.

For more portable applications, try a sling. bonus points if you time the opening for when it's over the target's head. Very "Wicked Witch of the East".

Dausuul
2007-11-22, 03:52 AM
For more portable applications, try a sling. bonus points if you time the opening for when it's over the target's head. Very "Wicked Witch of the East".

For that matter, just use mage hand to put it over the target's head. :smallamused:

Also note that this is reusable; you can shrink the fortress back down with the command word. Although the DM will probably rule that it takes falling damage, so you'll need a miracle spell to fix it.

Wolfwood2
2007-11-22, 12:41 PM
Over the years I have seen lots of talk about how to use the growth function of the instant fortress to crush one's enemies.

I have never seen anyone talk about how to use the fortress as a strategic place to sleep inside and adventure from.

hewhosaysfish
2007-11-22, 01:37 PM
I have never seen anyone talk about how to use the fortress as a strategic place to sleep inside and adventure from.

But if you don't sleep in a field in a tent, how will you get xp from fighting all the monsters that attack in the night?

Shosuro Ishii
2007-11-22, 01:37 PM
step 1: Get swallowed by dragon
step 2: activte instant fortress
Step 3: ??? (prefably raid dragons horde, but thats up to you)
step 4: profit

I also had a player use the tree token with a command word, 'catch' who would toss it to various villians.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-22, 01:49 PM
step 1: Get swallowed by dragon
step 2: activte instant fortress
Step 3: ??? (prefably raid dragons horde, but thats up to you)
step 4: profit

I also had a player use the tree token with a command word, 'catch' who would toss it to various villians.

step 3: get crushed between expanded fortress and dragon's stomache wall?

Chronos
2007-11-22, 01:52 PM
For that matter, just use mage hand to put it over the target's head.Unfortunately, Mage Hand doesn't work on magical items.

Shosuro Ishii
2007-11-22, 01:57 PM
step 3: get crushed between expanded fortress and dragon's stomache wall?

Meh, I think the fortress would expand at such a rate that it ripped the fragile stomach lining before it crushed you...Unless dragons have iron stomachs and I just didn't care enough to think of that.

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately, Mage Hand doesn't work on magical items.

Get the Mage Hand to hold a rock with the fortress on it. :smallwink:

Draz74
2007-11-22, 02:33 PM
Over the years I have seen lots of talk about how to use the growth function of the instant fortress to crush one's enemies.

My characters have used it the intended way.

But still, yeah, it's sad that such a practical item never gets used for anything other than abuse, just because the RAW-crushing-your-enemies ability of the item is so ridiculously powerful.

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 03:09 PM
It rarely gets used for its intended purpose because Rope Trick doesn't cost anything except a 2nd level spell slot/day and is as good a place to rest overnight (and it's a lot less conspicuous). Although it starts out not lasting all night, by the time that you could afford a DIF, it does.

Bryn
2007-11-22, 05:48 PM
But you can't attach wheels to a Rope Trick. :smallamused:

It would be like one of these (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070423a), but cheaper. :smallbiggrin:

martyboy74
2007-11-22, 05:51 PM
I don't think that that's intended usage. It's closer, but I still don't think that that's what they had in mind.

Feralgeist
2007-11-23, 05:01 AM
dragons have elemental stomachs, and they can digest rock and iron very easily, according to the draconomicon. you would be crushed and burned/frozen/whatever element they were'd