PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What AL recommendations to play?

Khrysaes
2022-02-10, 05:51 AM
Hello,

Thursday the 17th Feb, 2022, I am going to participate with my friends in an AL oneshot.

We are making level 8 characters.

So far we have a Half-orc Barbarian, and a Tiefling Life Cleric 1/Wildfire Druid 7

I was thinking of playing a Halfling Clockwork Sorc 1/Divination Wizard 7, with bountiful luck, basically a luck manipulator. Unfortunately, I don't believe Silvery Barbs or Fortune's Favor spells are AL, both of which are great luck manipulation theme spells.

Or: Vhuman or Custom Lineage Clockwork Sorc 1/Abjurur Wiz 7, with Eldritch Adept for Mage Armor. Clockwork can get Armor of Agathys.

What other recommendations do people have?

Keravath
2022-02-10, 09:07 AM
If you are playing actual AL then I'm sorry to let you know but you can't create 8th level characters. I'd think your DM would let you know that.

You can certainly play an AL module with whatever characters you like but it doesn't count as an AL game unless all the characters playing were created following the AL rules.

You can get the AL information here:
https://dnd.wizards.com/ddal_general

The AL players guide for the Forgotten Realms campaign (which includes character creation) is here:
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/DDAL_PlayersGuidev11_0.pdf

The idea behind AL is that players can create characters that they can play in AL content anywhere. Characters have to start at 1st or 5th level. The character is portable, meaning that you can play AL with your friends at home, take the same character to a game run at a local game store, take the same character to a convention running AL content or even take the character with you on vacation and play it with AL groups in a different city or country. All the games the character plays have to be logged so that their progression in levels, magic items and gold can be tracked - so if a DM asks where a character acquired a particular item or story award or other ability the player can reference the game played on their log.

---------

As far as character choice goes, play what you like :) ... with the randomness of AL groups at times you never know who you might play with. I once played in a party with 4 bards and a fighter - we made an impromptu band with a bouncer :). So, if you are creating an AL character that you might continue playing with in typical AL venues then you might want to consider how they would fit into a variety of groups.

If folks are playing martial characters then crossbow expert, sharpshooter, polearm master and great weapon master are popular feats.

P.S. You are correct about silvery barbs and fortune's favor - neither Strixhaven nor Wildemount are valid source for building AL characters. The sources allowed are listed in the player's guide linked above.