PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Level Druid Question

SpikeFightwicky
2022-02-10, 11:37 AM
Howdy folks,

So I'm going to be a PC instead of the DM for the next while, and my fluff dial has tuned me into the Druid of the Stars. So... my issue is spell selection. Tons of great spells, but a ton of them are concentration. I checked out RPGBOT's guide on Druid spells, but I'm having difficulty figuring how I'm going to play. For reference, I'm starting at lvl 10. Do I want to get a concentration spell up, then cantrip blast and starry form archer blast, swapping to Chalice if I'm going to cast a healing spell, or swapping to dragon if I "REALLY" need to keep my concentration up? I'm 100% on board if that's the case, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I haven't played a PC in many years so I'm very rusty.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Urbanmech
2022-02-10, 12:00 PM
Druids have a ton of concentration spells, find a few you like and have them prepared. Cast one and then pew pew or drag folks into hazards with thorn whip. At 10th level you will have access to Transmute Rock which is a fantastic battlefield control spell and doesn’t require concentration. Other than that using concentration on a summoning or conjure spell is a good use of your concentration depending on the situation.

Christew
2022-02-10, 12:01 PM
You've pretty much got the long and the short of it. Archer is your go-to combat form unless you are casting a vital concentration spell (in which case Dragon). Feel free to include some Guiding Bolts in addition to cantrips when doing long range damage, those free casts + slots can go a pretty long way and the damage + advantage is pretty solid.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice you are starting at 10. Psyren has the right of it, Dragon definitely becomes your go to as you near tier 3.

Psyren
2022-02-10, 01:05 PM
You'll almost never need Chalice unless multiple party members go down or take a big hit.

In general, Dragon is better at high levels due to concentration-free flight and the ability to never lose a powerful spell. Keep in mind that swapping away from it will cause you to fall if you're up in the air so factor that into your decision. In general, being able to fly around and hover for free is more important than 2d8+Wis to one target, especially if you're concentrating on something important. This also keeps your bonus action free for things like Draconic Transformation that will easily outdamage Archer.

Remember too that your free guiding bolts don't scale and you're starting to get to the levels where they fall off.

SpikeFightwicky
2022-02-10, 02:30 PM
All awesome information! Thank you all for that.

One caveat, I created a fairy druid (basically an adaptation of an NPC I created before) so I do have flight, which makes the dragon form a bit less useful overall, but still important for concentration. Also, good call on the guiding bolts! I forgot that I get some free castings of that. I'll likely "go to" summon spells for concentration unless a better opportunity reveals itself. Also, our party is just 3, so I figure a summon is a good for another combatant (note that I don't like Conjure Animals due to the creature spam so I'm sticking to the "Summon X" spells). Speaking of spells, I have a question on spell interactions (though maybe I should ask in the "RAW" thread?):

If I cast plant growth, then I put a Maelstrom or Spike Growth over the Plant Growth area, does that make for a super difficult patch of terrain to exit? (Assuming plants are nearby) There's not much "Push" in druid spells so I'm wondering if there are any ways to make the control spells get more mileage if used in combat.

Psyren
2022-02-10, 02:42 PM
As written, Plant Growth is not difficult terrain so it should stack with other sources of difficult terrain. Make sure you check with your DM before using it however.

The ability to exclude any squares you want from the effect (and the fact that it doesn't need your concentration) makes it an unparalleled form of terrestrial control. Treantmonk discusses it at length here (25:55). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDfv6hCqpQ#t=25m55s)

SpikeFightwicky
2022-02-10, 10:40 PM
As written, Plant Growth is not difficult terrain so it should stack with other sources of difficult terrain. Make sure you check with your DM before using it however.

The ability to exclude any squares you want from the effect (and the fact that it doesn't need your concentration) makes it an unparalleled form of terrestrial control. Treantmonk discusses it at length here (25:55). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDfv6hCqpQ#t=25m55s)

Oh wow thanks! That video was actually pretty informative and I ended up binge watching most of them. Plant growth is awesome! Even on its own it's pretty good. I'll definitely double check with my DM. I feel like I have a much better grasp on "how to druid" no!

Ogre Mage
2022-02-11, 12:58 AM
I am playing a 7th level Circle of the Stars druid. When we were in Tier 1, I mostly used the archer starry form. Once we hit Tier 2 (level 5) I began using the dragon starry form more and more to keep up my big concentration spells: conjure animals or polymorph.

Some spells I have found useful --

1st level: absorb elements (cut elemental damage in half as a reaction), goodberry (very strong out of combat healing), healing word (in combat healing as a bonus action), detect magic (cast it as a ritual).

2nd level: pass without trace (incredible for group stealth).

3rd: conjure animals (velociraptors or wolves for damage, giant owls for aerial combat), dispel magic (someone in the party should know it), revivify (someone in the party should know it).

4th: polymorph (turning an ally in a giant ape is a strong tactic).